CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter leo123 is on a distinguished road

Advice for Golf Room

Hi,

I was interested in setting up an indoor hitting area in my office/study with an eventual simulator setup with SkyTrak or a used GC2. The room is 12 x 13.5 feet. I already bought the Country Club Elite Golf Mat 3 x 5. I was looking at getting a SwingBox and placing it in the corner as the area I'm working with is small(and I have a corner desk in the room).

However, the SwingBox does not let me use wedges. I was wondering if I could just construct my own PVC frame and use an impact screen or net? I would probably be hitting from only 4 - 7 feet away from the screen. Would this be a problem? Also how much room do I need to leave behind the net/screen? Can I just tighten the net/screen so that not as much rear clearance is required? Is one net or screen sufficient?

I also looked at the Net Return but the rear clearance of 3.5 feet may be too much for my room(and it seems too wide).

If I'm hitting from only 4 to 7 feet away can't I make the PVC frame dimensions smaller? Like 5 x 7 or 6 x 8?
    I am open to moving my corner desk elsewhere, if it would result in a better/safer setup. Any advice or product recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Leo

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    If a driver is 45 inches long and your arms a couple of feet long, can you hit from 4 feet away?

5 Iron tonyd9366 is on a distinguished road
    Leo, that is pretty tight spacing. Could you do a set up in your garage? That's what I did and it's great. Are you right or left handed? Your set up would have to be right handed only or left but not both. For a one sided set up you have to have at least a min of 10ft wide and 20 ft in length. At least 12 to 18 inches has to be measured out from the wall you are hitting into as a buffer so you don't damage your wall when you construct a frame. Then the nets attach to the frame. Then you have to get an impact screen that you actually hit into. Most sims like mine require at least a min of 8 ft away from the impact screen. Mine is actually 10 ft. And at least 8 ft away from you back wall. Mine is 9 ft. I hit into the middle of the screen because I have my tee lined up right in the middle of that 10 ft of width where my protee sensor pad goes. Any less then 10 ft of width will require an off set set up where you have to hit on one side of the screen or the other depending on dexterity. So check out your garage space and see if you could set it up there.. if you hitting up to close to the screen your readings on the sim could be thrown off and almost balls would have to be used to avoid injury.. good luck.

Putter leo123 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyd9366 View Post
    Leo, that is pretty tight spacing. Could you do a set up in your garage? That's what I did and it's great. Are you right or left handed? Your set up would have to be right handed only or left but not both. For a one sided set up you have to have at least a min of 10ft wide and 20 ft in length. At least 12 to 18 inches has to be measured out from the wall you are hitting into as a buffer so you don't damage your wall when you construct a frame. Then the nets attach to the frame. Then you have to get an impact screen that you actually hit into. Most sims like mine require at least a min of 8 ft away from the impact screen. Mine is actually 10 ft. And at least 8 ft away from you back wall. Mine is 9 ft. I hit into the middle of the screen because I have my tee lined up right in the middle of that 10 ft of width where my protee sensor pad goes. Any less then 10 ft of width will require an off set set up where you have to hit on one side of the screen or the other depending on dexterity. So check out your garage space and see if you could set it up there.. if you hitting up to close to the screen your readings on the sim could be thrown off and almost balls would have to be used to avoid injury.. good luck.
    Thanks. I could do a setup in my garage but would have to deal with more exposure to external temperatures. Also having to move my cars out. From what I've read the GC2 only needs 2 feet of ball flight data and SkyTrak is probably similar. I guess I am most concerned about the ability of a net/impact screen's ability to withstand driver shots from such a close range of like 5.5 - 6 feet away.

5 Iron tonyd9366 is on a distinguished road
    If GC2 and skytrak can read from that close then your fine there. I would try to hit from as far back as possible and remove your desk from that space because your gonna need all the space that you have. But your definitely going to need some kind of buffer for the harder strikes ie: driver and fairway swings. I would build a frame out of 3/4 emt pipe which is metal instead of PVC because if you hit a real ball into the PVC it's gonna break and shatter. Do not make the impact screen too tight because you'll get too much bounce back especially from that close of range. You'll need at least a min of 14 to 15 inches behind the frame netting and impact screen as well. Home Depot sells 10 inch bunji cords which Is what I use to secure the impact screen to the emt. You have just enough give in the screen that the ball won't bounce back and drop to the floor. And I secured the nets with heavy duty zip ties to the frame. So the net is on the outsideof tbe frame and the impact screen is on the inside of the net. This way you'll have the impact screen and your net protecting your wall. Good luck..

Thread Information