100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    1 Iron FaultyClubs is on a distinguished road
    Maybe i read it completely wrong... I thought he was saying the GC2 wouldn't give you the online play and tournaments etc.

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    He said it does

Putter johnmeyer is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyClubs View Post
    This is completely wrong. The GC2 gives you all that with either TGC or PG.

With the ES16 only weeks away it would be wisr to wait and see about availability, pricing and software. Launch data provided looks great if it's proven to be accurate.

If the PG pricing is really that much then it would be a non starter for me... Not keen on the subscription model either. It will be interesting to see how many drop it once the beta is over. Let's hope TGC keeps improving!
    If youve already spent the $1000 on TGC and got the PC, I can see that spending the extra a year on PG may be a bit excessive. As I say nothing confirmed price wise yet, so hopefully theyll offer a one off option too, or maybe a month by month, that'd be perfect, but I am more put off personally by such a large chunk up front, mainly again because Id have to buy the PC to go with it.

I agree though, once pricing is fully announced then it will be crunch time, but have to fully agree with mthunt.. $20 to give it a go cant go wrong.

Also to get back on post, ES16 does indeed look very interesting too, and Skytrak apparently will be showcasing all their Sim Options at PGA Show too, so things will hopefully become a lot clearer in the next few weeks, so perhaps best to sit tight for now until after PGA Show.

5 Iron tonyd9366 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by AJA View Post
    I'll chime in to repeat what many have already stated. This was also true when Skytrak was being first launched when everybody was getting on the <I only need a launch monitor bandwagon>.

Hitting on the range gets old pretty quick. Whatever you choose you should strongly consider what sim options are available, because sooner, rather than later, you will want to have sim capability.

And with the lauch of ES16 weeks away, I'd wait to see what is announced before making a buying decision.
    I agree with AJ.. just using a range does get old and playing on the TGC is as real as it gets and it's fun. To me it calulates wind and slope pretty well and not being able to get out as much it's a great alternative. And the data you receive is good enough for me and being a 4 handicap I'm pleased. The set up isn't as bad as people say it is. I'm not handy or computer literate as other people are and I was able to do it so if I can do it anyone can. Lol!. AJ helped me a lot as well as well as other people on these forums. Plus protee's support is the best in the business. All for around 5k you can't beat it. I'm sure gc2 is great and all and I'm sure the ES16 is going be a nice product too but costly as well. I'm mean 4k for a used GC2??? If you can find one?? and 6k to 7k for a new one??? once you get everything else projector mat screens etc... your over 10k easy.

Quote Originally Posted by mthunt View Post
    So what exactly was wrong with Tony's post? I don't get it. I thought he was say a GC2 won't make him a plus 2 like the op.
    Mt, what I meant to say was if I was playing on TGC with someone online that's a +2.5 index it would push me to get better myself not only on the TGC but on the course as well..

Lob Wedge drewtaylor21 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the input Tony! I appreciate the total cost break down too - sometimes its tricky keeping track of all the different options and what is actually needed ($$) to make them functional. I'm intrigued by Protee, but I've also gotten some messages from former users that were less than pleased with the accuracy. Additionally, I'm not thrilled with the set up needed. It's not a huge deal, but my wife and I will be moving in the next year or two, so having a little easier portability is attractive to me. With those two things in mind, I've kind of ruled out Protee....I'm sure there will be some who disagree with that one, but that's where I'm at.

I also appreciate the others that have chimed in. Currently I am just in the mat and net building process, and waiting to see what the ES16 looks like. Hopefully we'll have some good reviews there. It's definitely at the upper end of my budget, but if it's really good, it certainly opens another door.

Of the options currently available, GC2 would be the ideal. I love GC2's and have a blast with them on the indoor ranges I've used in golf shops. The ball flight visuals are exactly what I want to see on an indoor set up, and I trust the ball flight/stats. The thing that drives me nuts is that even if I was able to find a used GC2 for $3500-$4k, that doesn't even come with a range, let alone sim options. If $3500-$4k got me a GC2 with a range and the capability for course add-ons for additional cost down the road, that would be end of story, done, where do I sign.

With the above in mind, Skytrak is the current leader for me. I don't love the idea of the delay, the annual fee, and obviously there have been some issues with accuracy with driver and wedges, but it sounds like things are improving with accuracy, and for what I NEED, it would do the job in the easiest and cheapest fashion.

As for everyone saying "you'll want sim capabilities," I agree. I know that would be great to have, it just isn't at the top of my list. I will continue to play ~ once a week in the real world, I just know I won't have time to continue in my range rat ways, thus the need for something that will allow me to keep practicing everyday even if I can't get out of the house.

Thanks again to everyone for the input!

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    As long as you don't get a defective unit, you will be happy with the skytrak. I believe it is quite accurate. The latest update addressed the issue with the driver. Just the range will keep you happy long enough to hopefully allow skytrak to get their act together and release the sim options. If you go with the upgraded package, you will get some features that will tide you over as well.

Quote Originally Posted by drewtaylor21 View Post
    Thanks for the input Tony! I appreciate the total cost break down too - sometimes its tricky keeping track of all the different options and what is actually needed ($$) to make them functional. I'm intrigued by Protee, but I've also gotten some messages from former users that were less than pleased with the accuracy. Additionally, I'm not thrilled with the set up needed. It's not a huge deal, but my wife and I will be moving in the next year or two, so having a little easier portability is attractive to me. With those two things in mind, I've kind of ruled out Protee....I'm sure there will be some who disagree with that one, but that's where I'm at.

I also appreciate the others that have chimed in. Currently I am just in the mat and net building process, and waiting to see what the ES16 looks like. Hopefully we'll have some good reviews there. It's definitely at the upper end of my budget, but if it's really good, it certainly opens another door.

Of the options currently available, GC2 would be the ideal. I love GC2's and have a blast with them on the indoor ranges I've used in golf shops. The ball flight visuals are exactly what I want to see on an indoor set up, and I trust the ball flight/stats. The thing that drives me nuts is that even if I was able to find a used GC2 for $3500-$4k, that doesn't even come with a range, let alone sim options. If $3500-$4k got me a GC2 with a range and the capability for course add-ons for additional cost down the road, that would be end of story, done, where do I sign.

With the above in mind, Skytrak is the current leader for me. I don't love the idea of the delay, the annual fee, and obviously there have been some issues with accuracy with driver and wedges, but it sounds like things are improving with accuracy, and for what I NEED, it would do the job in the easiest and cheapest fashion.

As for everyone saying "you'll want sim capabilities," I agree. I know that would be great to have, it just isn't at the top of my list. I will continue to play ~ once a week in the real world, I just know I won't have time to continue in my range rat ways, thus the need for something that will allow me to keep practicing everyday even if I can't get out of the house.

Thanks again to everyone for the input!
    Your very welcome Drew. Believe me if I could afford it I'd have the GC2 especially because it's compatable with my protee and I wouldn't even need the vcam or the hcam, I know the accuracy would be even better, but then I'd be way over 10k for my system and there are other priorities in life like children lol!!! So I think you prioritizing your needs now is the best way to go. A 5K budget was what I had to work with and I got there with what protee had to offer. And like I said before the set up isn't as bad as people say it is. It just takes a little patience and their on line support is second to none. I wanted the range, and the courses to play at will, plus my son digs it which is way cool. It's mostly for me and my son so maybe he can grow to love the game as much as me and spend quality time with him. What you can do is for now get the GC2 and a screen to hit into. Then when you move into your new house provided you have the room go for it and get everything. You and your kids will really enjoy it. Something you can integrate perhaps in the future. Please keep me up to date and best of luck with everything.. Tony
    Last edited by tonyd9366; 01-10-2016 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyd9366 View Post
    Your very welcome Drew. Believe me if I could afford it I'd have the GC2 especially because it's compatable with my protee and I wouldn't even need the vcam or the hcam, I know the accuracy would be even better, but then I'd be way over 10k for my system and there are other priorities in life like children lol!!! So I think you prioritizing your needs now is the best way to go. A 5K budget was what I had to work with and I got there with what protee had to offer. And like I said before the set up isn't as bad as people say it is. It just takes a little patience and their on line support is second to none. I wanted the range, and the courses to play at will, plus my son digs it which is way cool. It's mostly for me and my son so maybe he can grow to love the game as much as me and spend quality time with him. What you can do is for now get the GC2 and a screen to hit into. Then when you move into your new house provided you have the room go for it and get everything. You and your kids will really enjoy it. Something you can integrate perhaps in the future. Please keep me up to date and best of luck with everything.. Tony
    Drew.. here is a pic of my set up to give you an idea for a build.. take care.
    Attached Images

4 Iron psgolfer is on a distinguished road
    Hey Drew, be aware that some skytrak is still a beta product. Even though it's been for sale for awhile. I sold mine and bought a GC2 before the latest update, but I never did get a driver over 240 with skytrak, with GC2 my driving average on the PG tour is right around 250 with drives up 285. Also wedges were off too. Understand that you do get what you pay for in a $2K launch monitor.

Lob Wedge drewtaylor21 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyd9366 View Post
    Drew.. here is a pic of my set up to give you an idea for a build.. take care.
    Thanks again Tony! I appreciate the info and the pic - you've got a great set up! I'll keep you posted

Your welcome. Congrats again with your new addition it's the best thing in the world...!!!..

Sand Wedge Crow is on a distinguished road
    Been looking at numerous sims etc. GC2 and Protee seem to be the most recommended. Started to look at Skytrack but what's with the annual fee? Is this how they recoup for coming in cheaper? Want something that's compatible with left and right handed players and thought with it's wireless mobility this might be the way to go.

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    You may need to keep digging....

If you're main concern is right/left ease of play, GC2 and Skytrak wouldn't be very high up on the list. They'll need to be moved, physically, between consecutive shots of different handiness.

U
    Quote Originally Posted by goatbarn View Post
    You may need to keep digging....

If you're main concern is right/left ease of play, GC2 and Skytrak wouldn't be very high up on the list. They'll need to be moved, physically, between consecutive shots of different handiness.
    The only way to do left/right play easily is with 2 LM's which is crazy money

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    Best handiness options right now are either sensor mat types (optishot, protee...etc.), overhead camera types (fullswing, aboutgolf, GSA...etc.), or doppler radar types (trackman, flightscope).

Range from $400 to $25,000. Pick a budget, pick a preferred type of hardware, and you'll probably only have 2-3 options to look at, maybe less.

Sand Wedge Crow is on a distinguished road
    Thanks mthunt and goat barn if I was to go with protee and gc2 could the gc2 be just used for right handed players and left handers results come from the protee mat?

You can't connect to both at the same time so no.

Thread Information