100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lob Wedge drewtaylor21 is on a distinguished road

Driving Range Only - Cheapest/Most Accurate Launch Monitor Option?

Hi all!

With the arrival of baby #1 coming up in July for my wife and I, I am trying to begin planning ahead to minimize lost practice time. My current home course is a 20 minute drive, and while it's amazing, I know my opportunities to get out and practice will decrease quite a bit. I've begun looking into this amazing world of home/garage systems and love the idea! I'm reading quite a bit and learning a lot from you all (thank you!), but just wanted to see if I could get some quick advice.

Assuming space isn't a huge issue (ie, enough room for flightscope), and you are only really interested in an *accurate* digital driving range, what would you all say is the best bang for your buck? Realistically I'm going to have to keep it under $5k total, and ideally would like to be in the 1-3k range.

Essentially I want to be able to go to the garage and have the same experience as if I was at the range. I want to see accurate carry distance and ball flight (dispersion) across the bag. I'm not terribly concerned with spin/AoA/VSP, etc etc. I'm not opposed to more data, but I don't have access to any of that currently and do just fine with only knowing ball flight and carry distance, so in an effort to minimize overhead, that's where I'm at.

In my reading thus far, it seems like Flightscope Xi and SkyTrak are the best options for "cheap" but accurate launch monitors. Are there any others I should seriously be looking at? For those who have used both, would you recommend one over the other for someone looking for an accurate but cost effective practice facility?

Thanks for any input you have to offer!

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    If you can find a used GC2 it is the best option. It is proven. SkyTrak is still in beta in reality with early adopters being pretty disappointed for the most part.
    And the most likely scenario for you - once you have a hitting area set up, just hitting on the range will quickly lose it's appeal, especially since golf simulation will be so easy to set up. Plan for the eventuality that you will want to go the whole nine yards and want golf sim capability.
    Same thing happened to the SkyTrak adopters. Everyone said, "Nah, just need a driving range, that's all." Now the forums are full of ST users whining about the slow arrival of golf sim capabilities (which, when they arrive, will not be on a par with those that GC2 can deliver today.)

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    Imo, Skytrak is the only thing in your budget.

1 Iron FaultyClubs is on a distinguished road
    In launch monitors your choices are used GC2, Skytrak, or wait for the upcoming ES16 to see how that turns out. The Skytrak is probably going to be the least accurate of those choices.

But why have you restricted your options to launch monitors only? Nothing in your description requires LM. The Protee becomes an option then and it would be the cheapest.

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    I believe he wants highest accuracy foremost. That would exclude the Protee since it does not measure spin or spin axis while all the other choices do....(except Flightscope when used indoors re: spin axis).

How can you say the ES16 is more accurate than skytrak? It doesn't even exist yet.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyClubs View Post
    In launch monitors your choices are used GC2, Skytrak, or wait for the upcoming ES16 to see how that turns out. The Skytrak is probably going to be the least accurate of those choices.

But why have you restricted your options to launch monitors only? Nothing in your description requires LM. The Protee becomes an option then and it would be the cheapest.
    The accuracy part requires a good LM, as goatbarn said. I take my game very seriously (+2.5 cap) and compete in amateur events, so the whole point of this for me is to make practice time more efficient. Currently I spend about 10 hours a week at the range. Add to that a 40 minute/day round trip with drive times, I know it just isn't sustainable with kids coming. Thus, I want something I can use anytime that provides me the same experience as if I was beating balls at the outdoor range. Knowing precise yardages is a very big piece of the puzzle for me.

Is the general consensus that the ST still needs a bit more time to work out the bugs? I've seen some very positive posts from good players that got me excited about it, but it appears others still have issues.

GC2 would be great, but even used is still probably a bit more than I want to spend....Anyone know if the competition from ST and others might drive the price of GC2 down a bit in the next year?

Also, why no love for the Xi? at ~$2500 it seems like a great option as long as one has the space for it indoors....

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    From everything i have seen, Protee is not the cheapest. Cheapest they have is 3K with TGC and then you better have an excellent computer to run it (another 1k approx). Where are you getting prices for protee cheaper than skytrak? Who knows on accuracy of the unreleased/untested ES16. Also, it's been mentioned by others who have some cred in the business that it will be more than skytrak. With it's latest update, skytrak seems to be quite accurate. Personally, i think it's very accurate to what i see on the course.

Quote Originally Posted by drewtaylor21 View Post
    The accuracy part requires a good LM, as goatbarn said.
    Not true. There is nothing magically accurate about a LM. Properly setup the Protee is as accurate you would want. There are plenty of low handicappers very happy with its accuracy. Of course you don't get measured spin but the OP said spin numbers weren't needed. The main downside of the Protee is the time and effort to setup properly but once dialed in it is probably right up there with the others.

The Skytrak accuracy is limited especially on short irons and especially horizontal launch angle and side spin. There is public Trackman data comparisons show significant deviations in this area.

Bottomline: I wouldn't discount the Protee nor would I automatically assume the Skytrak is good enough for the accuracy you claim to want. The GC2 is proven and the ES16 is coming. $5k budget is enough (barely) if you are smart and resourceful. But do your research thoroughly.

Not true. There is nothing magically accurate about a LM. Properly setup the Protee is as accurate you would want. There are plenty of low handicappers very happy with its accuracy. Of course you don't get measured spin but the OP said spin numbers weren't needed. The main downside of the Protee is the time and effort to setup properly but once dialed in it is probably right up there with the others.

The Skytrak accuracy is limited especially on short irons and especially horizontal launch angle and side spin. There is public Trackman data comparisons show significant deviations in this area.

Bottomline: I wouldn't discount the Protee nor would I automatically assume the Skytrak is good enough for the accuracy you claim to want. The GC2 is proven and the ES16 is coming. $5k budget is enough (barely) if you are smart and resourceful. But do your research thoroughly.
    Interesting, I honestly haven't looked into Protee yet, so I'll check them out, thanks!

Protee is a good system, but recognize that there are multiple options within protee. If you want the highest level of accuracy you would need the full system, sensor pad and both launch cameras. And then there is the putting sensor. At the end of the day, it still does not measure ball spin and I think you still need to enter which club you are using so it can estimate ball travel better. With all the components many say that it is quite good at giving you a pretty accurate ball flight. IMO a system that gets ball information would still be the best.

So Protee appears to be TGC? Is that correct? Or is TGC just an add on? Is the full Protee system the $2995 option?

Can anyone point me to a comparison of accuracy between Protee and TM/Flightscope/GC2? I'm searching on my own, but if anyone has any direct links that would save me some search time. Thanks!

TGC is a software program. They are currently having a special that has the vertical cam, base, lights and TGC. Protee 2.0 is their own software program. Full system is much more. See swingsense . com.
    Quote Originally Posted by drewtaylor21 View Post
    So Protee appears to be TGC? Is that correct? Or is TGC just an add on? Is the full Protee system the $2995 option?

Can anyone point me to a comparison of accuracy between Protee and TM/Flightscope/GC2? I'm searching on my own, but if anyone has any direct links that would save me some search time. Thanks!

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wbond View Post
    Protee is a good system, but recognize that there are multiple options within protee. If you want the highest level of accuracy you would need the full system, sensor pad and both launch cameras. And then there is the putting sensor. At the end of the day, it still does not measure ball spin and I think you still need to enter which club you are using so it can estimate ball travel better. With all the components many say that it is quite good at giving you a pretty accurate ball flight. IMO a system that gets ball information would still be the best.
    With the latest ProTee interface you do not need to select the club. The system will estimate spin ver accurately based on the ball and lub data.

So after looking at some of the Protee links it seems that to get high levels of accuracy (2 cameras) the cost is closer to $3500. I've heard from others that used GC2's can be found for a similar price, and that system seems more established/proven from what I've read so far. The downside would be lack of sim courses if I just got a GC2 at that price though right?

Still no love for the Flightscope Xi. I'm surprised, but would be interested to hear why it isn't more popular. Is it just the lack of features? That just includes the skills app at that price point correct?

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Drew, read up on the Flightscope Xi. The issues you will need to address are its space requirements and lack of chipping and putting. There is huge debate as to whether Doppler is better than camera indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Drew, read up on the Flightscope Xi. The issues you will need to address are its space requirements and lack of chipping and putting. There is huge debate as to whether Doppler is better than camera indoors.
    Thanks Bubba, as per my OP, space requirements aren't an issue and I really truly only want a driving range option. I've played courses on indoor sims before and really didn't love it, especially the short game/putting aspects. That certainly makes sense that those issues with the Xi would be a turn off for many though.

The more I read about all of this, the more tempting GC2 is becoming....

Putter csarran is on a distinguished road
    Maybe Ive been one of a few lucky ones, but my Skytrak since April has been spot on. I am a 2 handicap and play competitive events as well. I also have really good high school players come in and their numbers are spot on as well. My only complaint for Skytrak is it does not work well on grass and direct sunlight. Definitely really great for me indoors or on a mat in the shade.

Quote Originally Posted by csarran View Post
    Maybe Ive been one of a few lucky ones, but my Skytrak since April has been spot on. I am a 2 handicap and play competitive events as well. I also have really good high school players come in and their numbers are spot on as well. My only complaint for Skytrak is it does not work well on grass and direct sunlight. Definitely really great for me indoors or on a mat in the shade.
    Thanks for the input csarran. SkyTrak seems to work really well for some. I'm not sure if it is a user set up issue or just some units are buggier than others, but the good ones seem ideal! Glad to hear yours is treating you well

Putter csarran is on a distinguished road
    One thing I do is place the ball about half an inch behind the dot on irons and 2 inch with woods, wedges, and putter as that seems to give the camera more time to read it. My co-worker is a former long drive guy and his numbers are spot on as well. Maybe not putting it directly on the dot is the secret?

The ES16 will be interesting to see though. Supposed to get to demo in mid January during a First Tee training.

Also have seen some Xi+'s on Ebay for under 4k.

Interesting approach putting the ball back a bit, but it makes sense for a camera-based tech.

The ES16 has me intrigued as well. I'm aiming for summer/fall 2016 to have my set up in place, so I'm anxiously watching several different platforms to see what sort of changes take place. The landscape appears to be moving in the right direction

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I think that one thing you need to keep in mind is once you have your LM you are going to want a good driving range as well where you can see the data you are looking for and that to get this you might need to pay out more money to get the range and info displayed in a format that you will like. Also, I think given what you are looking for it might be nice to take what you buy out to the range every once and a while. Some of these additional factors might change your choice in what you are looking for as well.

In terms of radar units and setting them up in doors, please make sure that your measurements take into account that the front of the unit will sit approx 8 inches from your back wall, that your net will also need to be a foot to a foot and a half from the front of your room, and that a metal garage door might have an impact on the radars ability to read the ball if hitting into the metal garage door.

5 Iron tonyd9366 is on a distinguished road
    I have a protee and it works well for me. TGC is about a real as it gets in my opinion. I only have the vcam not the hcam and it's pretty accurate. Get the hcam and results are even better im sure from reading other posts. Bubba22, VanceV and AJA are great consultants on this forum I'm a 4 handicap and I know my carry distances and it's pretty spot on. The 2.0 software has 2 ranges and a chipping and putting range too. I don't have the putting sensor but I found that the sensor mat is pretty accurate. I do have to stand back a bit to make sure that my shadow doesn't block the sensors but I've never had one mis read putting. Once I got my camera positioned correctly and my settings correct in the interface, it worked great. Drew, let's face it it's a simulator and nothing beats the real thing out there. But one thing I can tell you, I shot 74 last week on the course and only practiced and played on my sim in the garage and didn't miss a beat on the course. I too have a 2 year old at home and don't have time to practice and get to the course either. My wife was gracious enough to understand my love for golf and I have my practice facility in my own home. You will get bored with just a driving range trust me. With tgc itergrated it's like playing real golf and it puts your mind in a game type of situation and keeps you sharp when you tee it up for real. FYI my cost break down protee software with 2.0 and tgc 3500.00 brand new. Desktop 600.00 rear projector 350. Stance mat 250.00 impact screen 225.00 netting 200.00 and frame 150. So approx.. 5500.00 and I'm having a blast with it. As a matter a fact my 2 year old son loves it too, I got him putting on it already.. best of luck and congrats on baby #1... Tony

5 Iron tonyd9366 is on a distinguished road
    One other thing I forgot to mention is that with protee we can play against each other online and play in online tournaments as well.. pretty cool stuff. If I was able to play online with you that in itself would challenge me to get to your level. Things a GC2 can't give you.. best of luck on your decisions...

Putter johnmeyer is on a distinguished road
    In my opinion based on everything Ive read you wont go wrong with a GC2. Its proven, its easy to setup and its accurate. I bought one and its thebest thing I ever did.

GC2 can also give you sim play, and real time online multiplayer, there a multiple software options for it, when using a third party interface.

These include TGC, where the interface is provided by Protee, the same company who make the Protee sensors, and also Perfect Golf, where the interface is available from OGT.

In both cases there is that extra cost of the software, TGC is currently $995 including the interface, and Perfect Golf is currently $20 on Steam (it is an Early access game so still working on it), and interface is available for free from OGT (personal use only). However....

The interface for Perfect Golf has just finished BETA testing and is now available to all, and although testing has gone very well, and there is currently nothing to pay to use the software other than the initial $20 purchase for Perfect Golf from Steam, there will eventually be what looks like an annual subscription cost rumoured to be around $250 a year, as opposed to the TGC one off purchase cost.

TGC has been up and running longer, and has more courses, and a course creator, and is arguably graphically superior, but needs a very decent spec PC to run

PG is very new to market, still being worked on, currently has only 15 courses (more to come when their course creator launches), although arguably has some features that TGC have yet to incorporate, and requires a much lesser system to run.

Ive tested PG and am using it now,(and to be completely transparent, as I feel its important to fully disclose what could be a biased opinion, run the PG Simulator Tour) and found/find it excellent, but its hard to make the ultimate final decision until PG actually launches properly.

I would treat PG and OGT interface as a work in progress, with updates happening regularly to get it to a launch version, albeit a very good one, whereas TGC is a fully launched product, and will a be major update coming to add some of the missing features.

Once TGC has had its big update, and PG gets to full launch then Ill make my decision who to give the big chunk of money too, right now Im still using PG as theres no major outlay ( I found this important having just spent $4000 on the GC2 ) but TGC has a big following, and rightly so, and only thing stopping me is the fact id need the new PC and the cost of software, which so soon after the GC2 purchase I cant stretch too right now.

All in all, if you can stretch to GC2 money, Id do it, alternatively Id wait until seeing the specs of the new ES16, and how that progresses, and also what Skytrak comes out with too. Protee sensors are also highly regarded by those who have them setup well, but I disregarded due to the lack of portability, and mainly the ease of setup, which were important factors for me.

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    I'll chime in to repeat what many have already stated. This was also true when Skytrak was being first launched when everybody was getting on the <I only need a launch monitor bandwagon>.

Hitting on the range gets old pretty quick. Whatever you choose you should strongly consider what sim options are available, because sooner, rather than later, you will want to have sim capability.

And with the lauch of ES16 weeks away, I'd wait to see what is announced before making a buying decision.

4 Iron psgolfer is on a distinguished road
    I agree with the above posts. I'm using a GC2 with Perfect Golf and play on the OGT Tour too. I love it. I had a skytrak for 8 months, it was great as a range only piece of equipment. So if your looking for "RANGE ONLY". Consider skytrak, it's a descent machine for $2,000.

That being said, I haven't tried Protee or TGC. Although with a GC2, you can play TGC too as mentioned. Yes, the ES16 is right around the corner and skytrak will be releasing sim software too.

I've Demo'd E6 and it's not worth the money. For me the GC2 with Perfect Golf is a great combo.

For those with GC2's, if it were me, I'd use PG for 20 bucks. Wait until you need to to make a purchase decision. Both PG and TGC are amazing but 20 bucks. Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyd9366 View Post
    One other thing I forgot to mention is that with protee we can play against each other online and play in online tournaments as well.. pretty cool stuff. If I was able to play online with you that in itself would challenge me to get to your level. Things a GC2 can't give you...
    This is completely wrong. The GC2 gives you all that with either TGC or PG.

With the ES16 only weeks away it would be wisr to wait and see about availability, pricing and software. Launch data provided looks great if it's proven to be accurate.

If the PG pricing is really that much then it would be a non starter for me... Not keen on the subscription model either. It will be interesting to see how many drop it once the beta is over. Let's hope TGC keeps improving!

So what exactly was wrong with Tony's post? I don't get it. I thought he was say a GC2 won't make him a plus 2 like the op.

Thread Information