100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter brettryantal is on a distinguished road

Optishot Rookie - help me with by budget set up?

So, I just back into golf after about 10 years off. I played about 10 times this year & my handicap shuffles between a 7 & a 10. I started looking into the world of sim golf about a month back in hopes to find an outlet for this new hobby (that is teetering on addiction if you speak to my wife). With 3 kids (6, 4 & 2, a low budget & a wife that isn't a fan of a hobby that takes 4-5 hours each time, it's just not feasible to play very often. Plus, I live in Indiana, so even I could afford it, I'm pretty much done playing outside for the next few months. So, after a lot of research, I figured that my only shot would be the Optishot as my total budget was roughly 150-200. I knew that wouldn't even be enough to buy new, so I've been auction hunting and got lucky enough to get one today for $102 ($124 after shipping).

So...I've done a lot of research, as I said, but i'd love some of your input on a couple things...

1. how should I set it up? I've included pictures of where I'll be setting it up. It has to be a portable set up. Basically I will hang a big blanket from the opening in between rooms and hit Almost balls. Then, I'd put my laptop on a tall bar chair on the other side of the optishot. With the 4 lights on the fan, should that be sufficient? I know that lighting seems to play a HUGE role in accuracy. Should I supplement some addition light when I'm playing?

2. If i were going to spend another 75 - 100...what should i get? My thoughts are to build a stand & get a better turf top. What are some of the best options for turf tops? there seem to be a lot of options.

3. What do I need to make sure I do with set up? It seems that it gets the best readings when you input offset & everything. Is there a tutorial anywhere that helps guide me through the set up process to make sure it's as accurate as possible?

Thanks for any of your thoughts and input!

IMG_0021.jpgIMG_0022.jpg

1 Iron FaultyClubs is on a distinguished road
    The Optishot doesn't depend on lighting, it uses it's own infrared lighting from the sensors (reflective technology). So the issue with lighting is interferencve from other infrared sources such as daylight, fireplaces, incandescent lights, broad spectrum CFLs etc. If those four fan lights are normal CFLs you should be fine.

The best addition I made to mine was a decent turf top. There are many threads describing various options.

I assume you bought an Optishot 2 that allows club calibration. That helps id done correcvtly. Besides that, taping the clubs (especially non-irons) can help quite a bit if you are having issues. There are many descriptions online on how to tape the clubs. I haven't needed to do anything else and get quite reasonable club data (although the flight depiction is a little off but that is the software design and nothing can be done about that).

If you find you like it, then the next step is a projector and hitting screen. That actually makes a huge difference in realism. But it is a significant added cost unfortunately.

5 Iron tonyd9366 is on a distinguished road
    I'm going to be honest here. You will find out that what you are getting ultimately, your not going to be happy with it . You are going to want more and more. When you flush a shot and get wrong readings it will be frustrating to you. And having kids, if you want them to take an interest in the game, if they get frustrated they too will lose interest in the game. I started with the p3 pro swing which is similar the optishot, but with more sensors. It was a reflective system which requires club taping and can be a pain to do all the time. You can use the optishot as your software but I would recommend getting some kind of vertical launch camera that is compatible with it so you can at least get more accurate readings. And like faulty said, set up a frame with either pvc or emt piping with nets and an impact screen. Then you'll need a stance mat and a rear projector with a computer set up as well. Make sure your computer meets the system requirements of your sim software and I highly recommend a high Def graphics card. As far as pricing for all this your looking at least 1500 to 2000. And that's the cheapest you'll find out there. My set up with the p3 was 3500.00 and it's a garage set up. I recently upgraded from the p3 pro swing to the protee with TGC software and I'm up to 5500.00 for my system which is still relatively cheap compared to some systems.. best of luck and let me know how it goes..

8 Iron DFDubb is on a distinguished road
    A single digit hcp will never be happy with the optishot. Best to just turn around and auction it back off without setting it up or putting another dollar into it. It's a toy (a sucky one at that), not any sort of tool for anyone with game.

I agree.. I'm a single digit and I was unhappy with the p3 which is better than optishot. I now am getting protee with TGC and a vertical launch cam as well. More money but I'm sure I'll be much more satisfied it with better results plus club taping sucks.

6 Iron psyflyjohn is on a distinguished road
    Hey, I play Optishot a lot in my garage, and have a ball with it. I also play regular golf frequently. So, don't listen to those nonbelievers ! You will get a few shots that don't record correctly, but who cares? I would suggest some blackout material for the screen, and low cost projector. I got all my stuff from Amazon for under $1000, and have a nice set-up. Good luck ! BTW, when you do get set up, the online play is a blast.

4 Iron madspeed is on a distinguished road
    I'm a firm believer that having your actual club specs entered into Optishot definitely makes a huge difference, as does properly taping the bottom of the clubs. I have also noticed that I get much more accurate reads from the sensor pads after installing overhead LED lighting!

These are fairly cheap LED shoplights found at Lowes

Full setup

Can't forget the awesome "fishing rod holders"

Love your club rack set up!!! We're did you get that at lowes too??? Awesome!! I'd like to make one. Your sim looks nice too. I'm not against the optishot. I can't say anything about it because I've never had it. I've had the p3 proswing and I wasn't to fond of it. I didn't like the sensor pad make up I thought it was way to busy and it wasn't as accurate as they claimed. Granted I didn't have a vcam but still I was not too pleased. Also I was not in favor of the club taping deaL which is what reflective systems require. That's why I went with the protee with a vcam and TGC. However I must say that I did like the practice features that p3 offered and optishot I assume has a nice range option as well. If you can add a vcam to your set up there I'm sure your readings would improve even more and make you system much better.

what is this vcam??

The club racks I picked up on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Rapala-Lock-Ho...shing+rod+rack

It's a vertical launch camera that is connected to your pc which interfaces with your optishot and other sim software. And it calulates the correct spin and correct launch angle. So it gives you better accuracy and helps you work the ball better on the rage and when you play. The sensor pad that you have does approximations based on default settings with in the software. You can contact par2pro for more information about if you are interested. Hope my explanination helped. Thanks for the info in the rack.. btw how do you attach photos on this forum???

for pics, you need to have them hosted online somewhere, I personally use Photobucket, its free. When replying to a post, you click on the little camera film icon and paste the url for the image. Easy Peasy

Thanks for the tip I downloaded photobucket

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    Where is a vertical launch camera that integrates with optishot? I know it exists for P3, but didn't realize there was one for opti. Either way, it still doesn't calculate the correct spin.

I don't know if there is one either. But I would check with par2pro they seem to have everything. I was just assuming there is because optishot and p3 are both reflective systems and not shadow systems like protee and trugolf. But a VLcam does give you much better data on spin and correct launch than not having one, but remember we have sims and nothing replaces the real thing of course.

Putter brettryantal is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I completely understand that not everyone is a fan of optishot. i did enough research to realize that it wasn't exactly a great replica and wouldn't be the best option. but...literally...my budget is about $200...so it was really my only option. as someone who is just getting back into golf, i really only wanted someone that would give me a little bit of feed back rather than just hitting plastic balls into a blanket thumbtacked to a wall. i'm positive i could put 2-3k into a better system and i'd be happier...but i don't have space in my house for it and just don't have close to enough money to make it happen.

now, if something comes out in the next few years that, in the 1k or under range, that has a good sim and is more of a launch monitor rather than reflective system...i might be able to save up for something like that...but i'm just not seeing it out there yet.

thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by madspeed View Post
    Can't forget the awesome "fishing rod holders"

How many feet across is that rack??. I'm doing the measuments now in my garage.Thanks.

Thread Information