CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Clintobean is on a distinguished road

Best home simulator for less than $10k

Hey everybody, I'm just now starting to learn about home golf simulators. I'm dying to get one, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm looking to spend around $10k and I don't mind mix and matching different equipment. I'm mostly concerned with the accuracy of the system. I will spend most of my time on the range trying to improve my game. I already have a computer that will support the system. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
    Clint

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    Do you want club or ball tracking or both? Lefty and Righty? How big is your area? Permanent or movable setup? Some software requirements are pretty extensive, so you may need to re-check the computer requirements for each, for instance check out TGC computer req's.

GC2
    Protee
    Flightscope
    Trackman
    Skytrak

Quote Originally Posted by wbond View Post
    Do you want club or ball tracking or both? Lefty and Righty? How big is your area? Permanent or movable setup? Some software requirements are pretty extensive, so you may need to re-check the computer requirements for each, for instance check out TGC computer req's.

GC2
    Protee
    Flightscope
    Trackman
    Skytrak
    I'm not sure about the ball tracking vs club tracking. I guess whichever is most accurate or has the best bang for buck. I'm right handed. I have a large two car garage with a 9' ceiling. I don't really care if it's movable or not. I'll look into computer specs. I don't want to figure the computer into the cost because my mom said she would get me a new one lol. I'm mostly concerned with the accuracy of the system vs how much it costs. Thank you

You are going to get a lot of opinions/debates on which is the most accurate. I think best bang for your buck of the ones mentioned would probably be the skytrak. Start going through the threads in the forum here and there is also another forum about golf simulators to read through. I suggest start reading about what each one of these do and see where you think you want to head. With a two car garage trackman and flightscope might be out due to distance requirements, but flightscope is supposedly in the works for modifying their required dimensions for space needed.

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    If you want accurate simulation of shots, ball tracking is the more important. To work on your game, that information is very important but I feel club tracking is critical. If you have all sorts of variance in your ball data, it's hard to focus on what to fix if you don't have details on club face angle, path, club speed, etc.

You are going to get a lot of opinions/debates on which is the most accurate. I think best bang for your buck of the ones mentioned would probably be the skytrak. Start going through the threads in the forum here and there is also another forum about golf simulators to read through. I suggest start reading about what each one of these do and see where you think you want to head. With a two car garage trackman and flightscope might be out due to distance requirements, but flightscope is supposedly in the works for modifying their required dimensions for space needed.
    I looked at skytrak and it looked pretty good. Is it compatible with other software and able to be used with a large projector? The only projector I saw it being used on it had to be ran through an iPad and there was a 3 second delay. I was hoping to build a whole system in my garage. Mats, nets, software, projector and screen etc... Can I do that with this system? And would you recommend any cheap options to complete everything I need? Thank you

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    One big issue that has yet to be addressed with SkyTrak is the delay. It is inherent in how SkyTrak operates.

There are really 2 camps with Skytrak. Some who like it despite some shortcomings, and some who have steered clear of it for those same reasons.

What's your handicap? I'm a high handicapper and have found the club data that ProTee provides to be quite useful in understanding my swing (and it's flaws). Low handicappers, who already understand what is going on with their swing will probably benefit more from a launch monitor and ball data.

Skytrak is currently released with it's own app on apple. They have a beta version out for PC. They have also just released the simulation with WGT. There is an E6 demo out that works with skytrak as well. Also, currently TGC and PG are in the works. So you have the potential for four different sim options. There is a delay for shot to show, whether that is worth a $4k difference (GC2) is up to you. With the PC version you can hook it up to any monitor as usual, with the Ipad you need apple tv or an adapter. I use the adapter.

Cheap options for other stuff,
    PR20 great impact screen with "good" image, cheaper vs the par2pro HQ material, but you sacrifice on the image. i have not used or personally seen the HQ material so i can't comment on whether or not the cost difference is worth it, but many have and say they would go with HQ because it's supposedly a pretty substantial gain.
    Country Club Elite hitting strip $37 and build your own stance platform vs approx $300 for buying the whole mat
    West coast netting has good pricing on their nets

Quote Originally Posted by AJA View Post
    One big issue that has yet to be addressed with SkyTrak is the delay. It is inherent in how SkyTrak operates.

There are really 2 camps with Skytrak. Some who like it despite some shortcomings, and some who have steered clear of it for those same reasons.

What's your handicap? I'm a high handicapper and have found the club data that ProTee provides to be quite useful in understanding my swing (and it's flaws). Low handicappers, who already understand what is going on with their swing will probably benefit more from a launch monitor and ball data.
    Oh dang. The skytrak is seeming much less desirable if there is no way of getting rid of the delay. I'm just now getting back into golf. I used to shoot consistently in the mid 70's (whatever handicap that is), but I'm not sure now. I have a lot of knowledge of the golf swing and I feel like I can get all the info I need from videoing my swing and seeing what the ball is doing. So I'd probably want to steer more towards a system with really accurate ball information.

Skytrak is currently released with it's own app on apple. They have a beta version out for PC. They have also just released the simulation with WGT. There is an E6 demo out that works with skytrak as well. Also, currently TGC and PG are in the works. So you have the potential for four different sim options. There is a delay for shot to show, whether that is worth a $4k difference (GC2) is up to you. With the PC version you can hook it up to any monitor as usual, with the Ipad you need apple tv or an adapter. I use the adapter.

Cheap options for other stuff,
    PR20 great impact screen with "good" image, cheaper vs the par2pro HQ material, but you sacrifice on the image. i have not used or personally seen the HQ material so i can't comment on whether or not the cost difference is worth it, but many have and say they would go with HQ because it's supposedly a pretty substantial gain.
    Country Club Elite hitting strip $37 and build your own stance platform vs approx $300 for buying the whole mat
    West coast netting has good pricing on their nets
    Thank you, that info is very helpful. Would buying a used CG2 make much sense, or a new skytrak? I guess I could get used to the delay.

Also, what about a projector for the screen? I'm sure that any would work, but I don't know anything about them. Maybe you know of a good cheap one that works well.

Thanks again

Putter Smudge_si is on a distinguished road
    I was in a similar position to you and the only thing putting me off the skytrak was the delay as I thought it would really bug me , anyway I got one in the end and it doesn't bother me really.
    At the range when I practice by the time my real ball is halfway down the range the data shows and when I'm inside at home the few seconds delay is ok for me.
    Having loads of fun with WGT sim game for the price ����

Pitching Wedge Docpjk is on a distinguished road
    I have the foresight gc2 and love it so much that I am moving it from the garage to inside my house. I need to sell everything in garage as I am going from net return to a projector screen. Send my your info and I could give you a good deal on everything you need except the gc2. Patkelly122@gmail.com. I am in michigan

Thread Information