CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Knights/67's

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Knights/67's

Hello Ottawa 67's Fans.
    Hey don't feel bad about losing the OHL Title to the London Knights. It was destiny for the Knights right from the start of the season. The Hunter Brothers built that team from draft picks, good trades and more trades this season.
    London was due for an OHL title after 40 years of being in the league.
    Next up, the Memorial Cup

I know one thing for sure. If your first round draft pick, Logan Couture comes to Ottawa next season you are going to have a hell of a good young hockey player. I watched that kid play JR B last season here in my home town, and that kid can flat out play. He was 15 years old, playing against a lot of 18,19 and 20 year old players. He held is own, and was won the Rookie Scoring Title. So if he decides to go to the OHL, Ottawa has a picked a good kid. Well mannered, does well in school and he loves to play hockey!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Thanks for the Logan review. I'm sure he'll be here to play!.

Rimouski over 67's 3-2 in OT for the Mem Cup. Knights will be just a little to nice hosting the event.

Got tickets??

Memorial Cup

Quote Originally Posted by faldo
    Thanks for the Logan review. I'm sure he'll be here to play!.

Rimouski over 67's 3-2 in OT for the Mem Cup. Knights will be just a little to nice hosting the event.

Got tickets??
    My money is on Logan being at the 67's camp this fall. I think the issues with Oshawa put him and his family off for the draft. Afterall he was basically told he would be the first pick overall then the OHL allowed the 14 year old into the draft. That soured Logan on the draft. but I feel he will play in the OHL and not go to the USHL. At least I hope that is his decision.

As for the Cup Final, London will be gracious hosts, this will be a major event for London. However I doubt they will be gracious enough to let Sid's team win the CUP! It should be a great series of hockey, let's not forget the Rockets from the WHL, they won't be a pushover either. Plus I bet Killer has his troops fired up for this series as well.
    As for tickets, good luck! I wish I had bought some when they came out, the first game of the series would sell for close to $1000 seat now! Could have bought some new clubs with that profit.
    The JLC is an awesome hockey arena, the air is electric in there when the Knights play.
    So we can sit at home and watch the games on Sportsnet and see how this all unfolds.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I personally think the 67s made a big mistake in drafting a guy with an ego. He's far too young to be calling shots at the draft stage of junior, and yet he did. The kid has immense talent, and I've scouted himself a bit myself (not for any team, but as an analyst). I hope the best for him, but I can't see him living within the 67s' system for very long unless he realizes that he's not at the NHL just yet.

As for the Knights, they were a damn good team this year, and almost had it wrapped up after their record-setting streak early in the year. Ottawa showed some character in the first two games, but fizzled out against a superior lineup when things went wrong.

Nice part of this Memorial Cup is that Ottawa enters as a LONG LONG LONG shot underdog. We have London, Crosby and the defending champs to face. I'd say we're lucky to win two games in the tourney. Hopefully they come when it matters most.

Cheers.
    Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I personally think the 67s made a big mistake in drafting a guy with an ego. He's far too young to be calling shots at the draft stage of junior, and yet he did. The kid has immense talent, and I've scouted himself a bit myself (not for any team, but as an analyst). I hope the best for him, but I can't see him living within the 67s' system for very long unless he realizes that he's not at the NHL just yet.

As for the Knights, they were a damn good team this year, and almost had it wrapped up after their record-setting streak early in the year. Ottawa showed some character in the first two games, but fizzled out against a superior lineup when things went wrong.

Nice part of this Memorial Cup is that Ottawa enters as a LONG LONG LONG shot underdog. We have London, Crosby and the defending champs to face. I'd say we're lucky to win two games in the tourney. Hopefully they come when it matters most.

Cheers.
    Dan
    Dan I don't think Logan has a big ego. How would you feel if you were scouted all year, told by a team you were going to be their #1 Draft Pick, which would make you first overall, then have the ball dropped on you 3 days before the draft?

Somehow if that was my kid, I would be hacked too. They made their feelings well known about the draft and Ottawa took a chance by drafting them. Sarnia did the same thing a few years ago with Mike VanRyan. He told them he was going to Michigan State and he did. But he came back two years later to play in the OHL with Sarnia.

I have had 15/16 year old players live with me while they played JR B here in St Thomas. Agents promise those kids the world if they have talent. Problem is those kids get their hearts broken when teams don't pick them. The agent fills their heads with visions of $$$$ down the road and it just doesn't always happen that way.

I watched Logan play this past season and trust me that kid can play. For a 15 year old he was one of the best two way players I have seen in JR B. So if he decides to go to Ottawa you will be getting a quality player if he is brought into the system properly. Is he a Sidney Crosby? NO, not many are.

As for the 67's, you are right about that series against London. The Knights have an awesome lineup and can toss 4 lines at you that can all score. Tough to beat. Hopefully they put the final touches on the great season with a Memorial Cup win.

Good Luck to all the teams, and don't count out Ottawa!

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    I agree with broken on this one.
    It is the parents fault that these kids get their heads filled with delusions of grandeur...oh no, you're not the #1 pick, someone is better than you...buck up, take it like a man and go out next season and show Oshawa that they made a mistake picking someone else...plain and simple... this kid is on the path to be the next Eric Lindros...high hopes but too greedy for his own good. Lets hope his ego can be put aside if he comes to Ottawa. The good news is that Killer won't put up with that kind of trash on his team....

People have been telling this kid how great he is for so many years that he can't take the fact that there is someone better than him (who is also younger). Wait till he gets to the NHL (if he gets there)...that'll be a wake up call.

and as much as I'd like to see Ottawa win...I'd put my money on the Oceanic.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I agree with g8r. I watched some of the Halifax/Rimouski series and Crosby seems like a man (kid?) on a mission. He is head and shoulders above most of these junior players in skill level. Not being the biggest player stature wise he sure is tough to move or get off the puck in the offensive zone. Rimouski is on run now like London was to start the season and I would rather be a hot team now when it is crunch time.

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    Having met Logan and his parents last week I can assure you he does not have an ego and that his parents simply want whats best for him. It is a big adjustment for a player and his family to leave home for a new city and new career. I am sure that their descision has been made based on a package of things that Mr. Kilrea had set up for many of the past 67 stars( Locke, Boynton, Campbell,) including his presence, a great owner to play for, a good city, and most importantly excellent billets.

Knights

I agree, Crosby is a hell of a player for his age. However London has the two top OHL scorers in Perry and Hunter, Schremp and Bolland are no slouches either! They lost 2 games in 4 rounds of the playoffs, I would think they are not too shabby either! Let's not forget that Perry and Syvret saw what Crosby can do in the World Juniors, it is not like they have not seen him play. Plus Knights GM Mark Hunter has scouted that Oceanic team for two games.

There is a difference between the QMJHL and the OHL. I tend to think the QMJHL is more of a "Run & Gun League" London has two solid goalies in Coleman and Dennis, both could be the #1 goalie on any CHL team. The WHL has stud defencemen, just look at where most of the Canadian Junior's teams get their D from. Ottawa has a hot goalie (as long as losing his illegal " Overdrive Blades does not effect him )

Bottom line, whichever team comes to play will win this series. I would not count out any of the 4 teams entered. Should be a heck of a week of JR Hockey in London. The NHL, who needs it?

GO KNIGHTS GO

Quote Originally Posted by psniddy
    Having met Logan and his parents last week I can assure you he does not have an ego and that his parents simply want whats best for him. It is a big adjustment for a player and his family to leave home for a new city and new career. I am sure that their descision has been made based on a package of things that Mr. Kilrea had set up for many of the past 67 stars( Locke, Boynton, Campbell,) including his presence, a great owner to play for, a good city, and most importantly excellent billets.
    I said he had an ego based on what the scouting books had on him. This is based solely on his "refusal" to play in the OHL because of his slipping in the rankings. This ALWAYS results in a further slip (should have been a simple 1 to 2 drop), like Rob Schremp last NHL draft.

I'm not wishing the kid anything but success, and I'm sorry if I came across differently. I want Ottawa to have his talent (which I did acknowledge above). I just hope he can put this little incident behind him and listen to a Hall of Fame coach instead of a greedy agent or his parents (read: Lindros Syndrome).

Cheers,
    Dan

I said he had an ego based on what the scouting books had on him. This is based solely on his "refusal" to play in the OHL because of his slipping in the rankings. This ALWAYS results in a further slip (should have been a simple 1 to 2 drop), like Rob Schremp last NHL draft.

I'm not wishing the kid anything but success, and I'm sorry if I came across differently. I want Ottawa to have his talent (which I did acknowledge above). I just hope he can put this little incident behind him and listen to a Hall of Fame coach instead of a greedy agent or his parents (read: Lindros Syndrome).

Cheers,
    Dan
    I know his parents and there is no big egos involved there at all. Picture yourself in their position. You would want the best for your son if he was involved in this. Let's face the truth, JR hockey can make or break a young talented player. It is still the best route to the NHL. Hence parents want what is best for their sons.

This is not a Lindros situation at all. He refused to report to the team that drafted him, and as far as I know there was no notices sent to teams saying that. At least the Couture's were up front about their son not reporting to any team that drafted him.

JR B hockey was still an option for him as I am quite sure he could have played another two years and earned a "Free Ride" with a major U.S. College. I have seen players come out of our JR B league, get full rides to Michigan State, Ohio State, Ivy League schools and all did well and earned an education to boot. Some were drafted into the NHL, some have gone on to the business world and have faired quite well in life.

So unless you know this player and his family personally I would not run him down. I can tell you one thing, if he goes to Ottawa (I'm betting he will) then the 67's will have a great young player and his ego won't get in the way.

Now enough said about Logan! Let's concentrate on the Memorial Cup!

Your opinion versus mine and at least 6 OHL scouts. Either way, it IS a POTENTIAL Lindros situation if the parents are taking a governing role in it.

Dispute it all you want, I want nothing but the best of the kid in Ottawa, and he's got a LOT to bring to the table.

Dan

So what's it gonna be? Rimouski or 67's in the final Sunday? And can anyone beat the Knights? Rooting hard for the 67's.

I Am Rooting For The 67's

Quote Originally Posted by GJohnston69
    So what's it gonna be? Rimouski or 67's in the final Sunday? And can anyone beat the Knights? Rooting hard for the 67's.
    I am rooting for the 67's as I want to see an all Ontario Cup Final. Plus maybe we will not be hammered with Crosby, Crosby Crosby in the papers!
    As for beating the Knights, whoever plays them in the final game will have a big challenge. I feel the Knights are focused on winning this Cup that no team will stand in their way. Then again the puck sometimes bounces funny as we all know.
    I will be at the 67's game tomorrow night and will be cheering hard for them.

There was a piece in the Ottawa Citizen today that said of the last 12 Mem Cup finals, the team who had the bye has won 11 times. So I agree, whichever team it is will have their hands full with a rested Knights team. I have to say though I am happy that the Knights made it to the OHL final (and won), but I hate it when a host team wins the Cup when they were possibly eliminated early on in their playoffs. When Ottawa won the cup in 99 I believe I was happy for them but didn't feel like they were the best junior team in Canada. Throughout the season they were ranked high (even at no. 1 for a lot of the year I think) but they lost out in the second round of the playoffs whereas the Bulls won the OHL title. Just an opinion that I am sure some agree and disagree with.

It'll be a tough game, and obviously I want to see the 67s in the final, but if they play like they did last night, they're done.

On another subject, did anyone else catch the details of "Skate-Gate"? Apparently Mark Hunter (GM of London) told Ottawa's trainer he could not use the riveting machine in the London dressing room to repair Brad Staubitz's skate. This is a GLOBAL rule in hockey, that you allow the visitors to use your equipment. Imagine carrying all that crap around with you to every road game??? The paraphrased quote from M. Hunter (whose brother coaches the Knights) was "this is too big a game, and that's too good a player".

No class, and I hope the team gets demolished in the Final.

Dan

Skate Gate???

It'll be a tough game, and obviously I want to see the 67s in the final, but if they play like they did last night, they're done.

On another subject, did anyone else catch the details of "Skate-Gate"? Apparently Mark Hunter (GM of London) told Ottawa's trainer he could not use the riveting machine in the London dressing room to repair Brad Staubitz's skate. This is a GLOBAL rule in hockey, that you allow the visitors to use your equipment. Imagine carrying all that crap around with you to every road game??? The paraphrased quote from M. Hunter (whose brother coaches the Knights) was "this is too big a game, and that's too good a player".

No class, and I hope the team gets demolished in the Final.

Dan
    Hmmmmmmmm that's funny, that was not mentioned down this way in the press. I will try to get the scoop as I have an inside source. However I find it tough to fathom Hunter not allowing the use of the repair equipment.

I heard something in passing during the Sportsnet broadcast but wasn't really paying attention. I did not hear anything about M.Hunter's remarks though. Just something about not being able to use a skate repair machine and using old skates.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    Hmmmmmmmm that's funny, that was not mentioned down this way in the press. I will try to get the scoop as I have an inside source. However I find it tough to fathom Hunter not allowing the use of the repair equipment.
    The Hunter brothers have had questionable class since their playing days. I personally really liked Dale until he started coaching.

The exact details as I understand them:

- Ottawa player blows up a skate.
    - Trainer takes skate to London lockerroom for repairs.
    - London PR person comes down and asks him "what are you doing here?"
    - Ottawa trainer tells him.
    - PR guy says to leave.
    - Ottawa trainer refuses.
    - PR guy calls GM booth (Mark Hunter).
    - Hunter instructs him that Ottawa trainer MUST GET OUT.

As I said above, the "quote" from Hunter is a paraphrase of what was reported on Team 1200 this morning.

Cheers, and I'm looking forward to what that no-class hack Hunter really said!

Dan

The Hunter brothers have had questionable class since their playing days. I personally really liked Dale until he started coaching.

The exact details as I understand them:

- Ottawa player blows up a skate.
    - Trainer takes skate to London lockerroom for repairs.
    - London PR person comes down and asks him "what are you doing here?"
    - Ottawa trainer tells him.
    - PR guy says to leave.
    - Ottawa trainer refuses.
    - PR guy calls GM booth (Mark Hunter).
    - Hunter instructs him that Ottawa trainer MUST GET OUT.

As I said above, the "quote" from Hunter is a paraphrase of what was reported on Team 1200 this morning.

Cheers, and I'm looking forward to what that no-class hack Hunter really said!

Dan
    Dan whereever those "quotes" came from, someone better unquote them. This incident was caused by an incident during the OHL Finals. Now I know what went on, however I am not going to smear anyone on here as this is not the place to do it. All I can say is if you want the correct facts call the league. What went down during the last game is a lot more involved than Ottawa is letting on.
    End of discussion.

Go 67s Go!!! Beat them Oceanic and Knights.

Quote Originally Posted by GJohnston69
    Go 67s Go!!! Beat them Oceanic and Knights.
    Well I know that won't happen, the 67's beating the Knights. Brutal game, poor calls by the ref and the Ottawa goalie was not sharp at all. The rest of the 67's were just not performing 100% either. I watched this game live and it was not what I hoped it would be. However the 67's still had a great season.

Now all that is left, the Knights need to beat the Nics and maybe that will quiet the media about the next "Great One"

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    SIGH...Allright...GO Green Go!!!!!!

Dan whereever those "quotes" came from, someone better unquote them. This incident was caused by an incident during the OHL Finals. Now I know what went on, however I am not going to smear anyone on here as this is not the place to do it. All I can say is if you want the correct facts call the league. What went down during the last game is a lot more involved than Ottawa is letting on.
    End of discussion.
    The "quotes" I mentioned (and subsequently explained) were made by Bruce Garrioch (I believe) from the Ottawa Sun, or possibly Gord Wilson. Secondly, they were said to be "paraphrased" from what really happened. Regardless of what transpired, I stand by my statement about the lack of class among the Hunters... Need proof? Ask Pat Lafontaine.

Dan

The Quotes

The "quotes" I mentioned (and subsequently explained) were made by Bruce Garrioch (I believe) from the Ottawa Sun, or possibly Gord Wilson. Secondly, they were said to be "paraphrased" from what really happened. Regardless of what transpired, I stand by my statement about the lack of class among the Hunters... Need proof? Ask Pat Lafontaine.

Dan
    Dan you can say all you want about the so called quotes. I happen to have a very very realiable inside source on the Knights Staff. The Equipment Manager of the Knights witnessed this entire incident, and I know what went down. WIll I post it here? No, as I feel that it is not up to me to explain what happened.
    As for the Hunter's lacking class. I guess success in hockey breeds jealousy. Say what you will about Dale & Mark Hunter, they treat their players with respect. Those players are treated like family by the Hunter's. They run a first class organization.
    As a team, they set numerous CHL/OHL Records. The are the OHL Champions and now they are the MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS. Corey Perry was voted as the Memorial Cup MVP. The Knights shut down the next "Great One" today, and they showed the hockey world how to play as a team
    I am proud to be a FAN OF THE LONDON KNIGHTS.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    First of all, Congrats to the Knights....great game.

Why would you not post the details here and clarify what happened. If it truly was not as described in the Ottawa media then set the record straight. We do not expect the name of your source. The Ottawa media does like to exagerate so it is difficult for us to get the full story sometimes....

Dan you can say all you want about the so called quotes. I happen to have a very very realiable inside source on the Knights Staff. The Equipment Manager of the Knights witnessed this entire incident, and I know what went down. WIll I post it here? No, as I feel that it is not up to me to explain what happened.
    As for the Hunter's lacking class. I guess success in hockey breeds jealousy. Say what you will about Dale & Mark Hunter, they treat their players with respect. Those players are treated like family by the Hunter's. They run a first class organization.
    As a team, they set numerous CHL/OHL Records. The are the OHL Champions and now they are the MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS. Corey Perry was voted as the Memorial Cup MVP. The Knights shut down the next "Great One" today, and they showed the hockey world how to play as a team
    I am proud to be a FAN OF THE LONDON KNIGHTS.
    You can have all the sources you want. It was discussed on the radio again this morning. This time Pierre McGuire was talking about it. He affirmed that he didn't know exactly what happened, but confirmed that Mark Hunter had ordered that Ottawa's trainer (Pataffi?) not be allowed to use the facility.

Whereas you cite anonymous people who may or may not exist, I'm at least providing you with sources for what I'm saying. I'm also not saying that the details of the situation are as I heard reported, but you can't argue that SOMETHING happened and a 67s player was not playing on his regular skate as a result.

As for "success breeds jealousy", that's friggin hilarious... Are you 5? Pierre Turgeon would tell you all about it... Gimme a break. Dale Hunter (in particular) was known as a cheap shot artist. He holds one of the longest suspensions in the history of the NHL at 21 games for crosschecking Turgeon after a goal, so spare me your assessment of why I say what I say.... #2 on PIM list all time too apparently as of 2003-04... THAT is CLASS! (Honestly, I was a big fan of his in QBC and WAS, I really was! He didnt' come across as that dirty)

London played a great game last night, and was full marks for the season. The Hunters deserve credit for their part in it as well, as GM and coach.

Dan
    Last edited by broken27; 06-01-2005 at 12:45 AM.

Congrats to the Knights. It was the ending to an unbelievalble season they were hoping for. Could you have imagined if they did not win the Mem Cup at home after a dominating regular and post season. Just wanted to extend my appreciation for what must have been a trying season for everyone in the London organization, having to live up to all those expectations. Well earned.

Thread Information