100 Holes of Hope

View Poll Results: What should the record book say?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • 142 cuts made

22 57.89%
  • 111 cuts made

16 42.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 142 or 111?

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    We argue a lot, but I found you to be a very amicable person when we met at Calabogie, and quite contrary to your forum personality. Similarly, you mentioned the same about me not matching up with my smack....
    Awwwwwwwww now get a room.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I found you to be a very amicable person ... quite contrary to your forum personality
    This underlines the point that people will express themselves more "enthusiastically" when posting to a forum. They often make comments to/about the other person that they would never say when face to face.

I am curious if now that the "anonymity" is removed since meeting, if your understanding of opinions will be tempered, or if you'll continue to duke it out

Andru
    I don't "idolize" people, so I have no idea why you say things about popularity, commercial success or criminal records. Besides which, statements like that are assumptive of the "fact" that I condone the antithesis (sp?) thereof. I mentioned Pantera, and other than the former guitarist being shot to death in the face during a concert, I have no reason to suspect they were involved in anything resulting in a criminal record. Nor the contrary, however.... My basis for appreciation comes in the music...

Tiger? Well, I don't hate his game, there's no way I could, and still play. But as an individual, I don't much care for him, or at least his persona. I'm sure that given the chance to know him personally I'd find out both good and bad stuff about him, and blah blah blah, but I don't generally START discussions along the lover/hater lines...

We argue a lot, but I found you to be a very amicable person when we met at Calabogie, and quite contrary to your forum personality. Similarly, you mentioned the same about me not matching up with my smack....

Isn't it funny how we can "argue" here and find nothing but common ground in person?

Cheers. Na Zdravy!

Dan
    Hey Dan.

The crack about criminal record was just a joke man. I feel the same way about you. I'm sure given enough time we'd bump heads on more than one issue but it would remain civil. I think/hope you know my comments are purely banter with some logic sprinkled in for entertainment.

That being said. I can be more amicable here. I try to be. If you look at my posts, on this thread in particular. It's only one post ( the anit-tiger vortex one ) where I went a little nuts. I thought I was fairly diplomatic on the others. I was always trying to determine the real cut number for each player. I found people making decisions based on half of the facts. I guess that's the idea of the thread, bring the facts out and then let people decide for themselves. Brilliant!!

Cheers.
    Last edited by Andru; 05-19-2005 at 09:02 AM.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    This underlines the point that people will express themselves more "enthusiastically" when posting to a forum. They often make comments to/about the other person that they would never say when face to face.

I am curious if now that the "anonymity" is removed since meeting, if your understanding of opinions will be tempered, or if you'll continue to duke it out
    We'll still duke it out without the mindless banter ( mainly from me ). A thoughtful discussion about he events.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Duke away. It's entertaining when it's civil.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    We'll still duke it out without the mindless banter ( mainly from me ). A thoughtful discussion about he events.
    Let's not go scaling back the mindless banter too much! It might get inane at times, but for the most part it's colourful and entertaining...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Andru
    Let's not go scaling back the mindless banter too much! It might get inane at times, but for the most part it's colourful and entertaining...

Dan
    Well in that case we can start with this. With all of the new cell phones and new numbers the ottawa-valley is getting a new area code courtesy of the Toronto Maple Leafs. 0 - 4 - 4.
    Last edited by Andru; 05-19-2005 at 09:39 AM.

Well in that case we can start with this. The ottawa-valley is getting a new area code courtesy of the Torointo Maple Leafs. 0 - 4 - 4.
    A true Leafs fan...

Dan

Andru
    A true Leafs fan...

Dan
    To error is human. To error 4 times is an Ottawa Senator.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    As far as Tiger. I've given up on trying to understand why you or anyone would hate him.
    To many people Tiger comes off as aloof & self centered. I also heard he hates Pink Floyd.

To error is human. To error 4 times is an Ottawa Senator.
    39 years and counting....

Dan

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    For me, its because he's forgotten how to enjoy being number one. In old footage, he was laughing and having a great time, now he's always frowning. The turning point for me was when he was going for a record at the Masters (I think the Masters), and he was something like 13 strokes ahead of the field on 18, final round. He hit a wood going for the record, messes it up A LITTLE, and thumped his club on the ground as if he'd lost the major. Just then a little kid tugged on his shirt, whom he ignored and stomped off (not saying the kid should have been there, but it didn't look good).

That's why I don't like Tiger as much as I did.

One momentary flash of the old Tiger was in the recent playoff at the Masters with Dimarco, and someone's shadow was on the tee box where he wanted to hit. He asked them to move, and instead the head bopped around. Jokingly he thumped it with his club, a big smile on his face.

Whether you agree or not is irrelevant. People get to pick and choose those that they admire, whether they warrant it or not. I'm sure some people love Donald Trump, but I can't stand the guy.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    For me, its because he's forgotten how to enjoy being number one. In old footage, he was laughing and having a great time, now he's always frowning. The turning point for me was when he was going for a record at the Masters (I think the Masters), and he was something like 13 strokes ahead of the field on 18, final round. He hit a wood going for the record, messes it up A LITTLE, and thumped his club on the ground as if he'd lost the major. Just then a little kid tugged on his shirt, whom he ignored and stomped off (not saying the kid should have been there, but it didn't look good).

That's why I don't like Tiger as much as I did.

One momentary flash of the old Tiger was in the recent playoff at the Masters with Dimarco, and someone's shadow was on the tee box where he wanted to hit. He asked them to move, and instead the head bopped around. Jokingly he thumped it with his club, a big smile on his face.

Whether you agree or not is irrelevant. People get to pick and choose those that they admire, whether they warrant it or not. I'm sure some people love Donald Trump, but I can't stand the guy.
    I feel what you are saying and agree that Tiger has changed over the years.

Don’t forget that Tiger, at the beginning, was the young gun that had everything to prove. Know his popularity is sky high and he is unable to do anything without being harassed by huge crowds. I’m speculating here but I think I am not off the map on this.

Most humans dream to be rich and famous but don’t realise the life changing aspect of it. Elvis come to mind even though I am young to remember. It was apparent that Elvis was enjoying him self at the beginning of his career. At the end of his career (life) he was overweight, on drugs, paranoid and the list goes on. The main cause was that he was not able to live a normal life. No way he could go to the mall, at McDonalds or envoy a quiet evening with the wife at a downtown restaurant. All this stress changes your way of living.

Now before anybody gets on the bandwagon that Tiger wanted all that attention, nobody realizes what’s ahead in a situation like this. When you are 20 years old and want to be the greatest golfer of all times you don’t think that one day you will have to barricade a huge resort in the Bahamas and rent all the helicopters on the island just to get married in peace and quiet with your friends.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    I feel what you are saying and agree that Tiger has changed over the years.
    Sure I don't disagree. I still admire his game greatly. But the good comes with the bad: I'm sure he met his wife because he's Tiger Woods.

Now before anybody gets on the bandwagon that Tiger wanted all that attention, nobody realizes what’s ahead in a situation like this. When you are 20 years old and want to be the greatest golfer of all times you don’t think that one day you will have to barricade a huge resort in the Bahamas and rent all the helicopters on the island just to get married in peace and quiet with your friends.
    Why would you not be aware of the consequences of becoming the best? I doubt Tiger would have practised as hard as he did without knowing that fame and fortune come with being the best golfer of your day. Why else do it? Just the love of the game? I doubt it... The fine lookin' women and mucho dineiro that come along with xPGA wins is what people want.

If you really don't think Tiger knew that he'd be giving away his privacy, you must think he's not all that bright.

It's not the dark ages, people have agents and lawyers that explain exactly how the game works.

Dan

Andru
    Why would you not be aware of the consequences of becoming the best? I doubt Tiger would have practised as hard as he did without knowing that fame and fortune come with being the best golfer of your day. Why else do it? Just the love of the game? I doubt it... The fine lookin' women and mucho dineiro that come along with xPGA wins is what people want.

If you really don't think Tiger knew that he'd be giving away his privacy, you must think he's not all that bright.

It's not the dark ages, people have agents and lawyers that explain exactly how the game works.

Dan
    Sure but like anyone, you believe you can pull it off. Besides. Jack was the best golfer in the world and he didn't have the same media scrutiny. Partly because he dominated in an era where cable was still a dream and there weren't 5 different sports networks trying to fill air time. Golf also wasn't as mainstream as it is today. You never know how Jack would have reacted at age 22 having 1000 people watch you run to the outhouse.

Sure but like anyone, you believe you can pull it off. Besides. Jack was the best golfer in the world and he didn't have the same media scrutiny. Partly because he dominated in an era where cable was still a dream and there weren't 5 different sports networks trying to fill air time. Golf also wasn't as mainstream as it is today. You never know how Jack would have reacted at age 22 having 1000 people watch you run to the outhouse.
    Never said anything to the contrary. Just saying that the awareness has to be there nowadays, and if it isn't, blame the agent first, but also yourself. You knew what you were getting into Mr. Woods, so (*smirk*) Andru can stop defending you now.

Just buggin bud.

Dan

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Dan
    I never said he didn’t want the fame and fortune. I’m just saying that nobody can anticipate what will happen. Tiger surely wanted the girls, the cars and all the shebang surrounding it but you never know how it will really affect you life until you’re in it.

Lets go back in your teens and give the talent to make it to the big leagues. Then your dad sits you down and tells you “ Son, if you get to be an elite player in an elite league you have a chance to be miserable and give away your privacy during the majority of your career”. Do you honestly think and care to think of the negative side of being a Pro athlete. I know that the only thing in my mind would be girls, cash, cars, exclusive parties…… Come on!! Be honest.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Do you honestly think and care to think of the negative side of being a Pro athlete. I know that the only thing in my mind would be girls, cash, cars, exclusive parties…… Come on!! Be honest.
    Nowadays, I've heard endless celebrities complain about this, so its pretty common knowledge. I think my attitude would be "My privacy will be gone, but I want the girls, cash and exclusive parties." Then I'd buy property so large, my family wouldn't be pestered. In public, I'd take my chances.

Thread Information