CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road

TaylorMade SLDR drivers - is it really necessary to loft up?

I recently got hold of my SLDR-S 12* stiff shaft driver and really like it, but I was expecting a lower ball flight due to its advertised lack of spin relative to other clubs out there.

I found it very easy to hit straight and the distance was impressive, but the ball flight was still quite high. Now I'm thinking I should try out a 9-10 degree version of the club so that I can get more roll out.

Has anyone else found the SLDR drivers to be like this?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Centre of gravity, angle of attack and effective loft will dictate ball flight more than spin. You need spin to optimize your distance (not enough ball will fall, too much ball will balloon).
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

All true and good points. Given that my swing is the same between this SLDR-S and my usual Adams XTD driver, I guess I was just expecting more of a difference in the resulting ball flight. Since I continue to hit it pretty high (even with nice distance) I suspect it's my angle of attack that's driving the bus...

3 Wood boylebj is on a distinguished road boylebj's Avatar
    Your angle of attack is to steep.
    Try lowering your swing plane around your body.
    Also, try different tee heights. Some times lowering the tee height will lower trajectory.
    You should also look at using low spin balls (i.e. Noodles, Wilson Duos, Chrome Supersofts)
    Usually, high trajectory shots have high backspins which kill distance.
    Try changing your stance...standing a little farther from the ball, ball position from inside heel (move forward or backwards).
    There's lots of solutions....it's just a Google away.

Google...yeah, I think I've heard of those clubs before

I should probably have made it clearer that I'm not looking for swing advice, although I guess a topic like this will always invite that into the discussion. There are a bunch of things I could tweak to get a lower ball flight, but I'm hitting the ball straight and long 9 times out of 10 right now so I'm not about to do an "Ian Baker Finch" on myself

Given that I'm swinging the same (and continue to use Chrome Soft low compression balls), the question was simply supposed to be this: Has anyone else found that they didn't need to loft up with their SLDR driver? I am just curious to see whether I'm an outlier or if others have noticed the same thing...

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnazzyD View Post
    Has anyone else found that they didn't need to loft up with their SLDR driver?
    I will continue in the vein of not answering your direct question, but only because I haven't tried a SLDR.

But I do have a couple of comments / questions:
    - At 12* on your current SLDR, you have already lofted up, so you might actually be at the optimal loft for you.
    - If you do try a lower lofted version, swap the shaft from your current SLDR into it so that you don't introduce another variable.
    - Is there a reason you think your current ball flight is too high?
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

jhazelton
    I am only a few weeks into my experiment with my SLDR 460. I purchased with the same loft as my previous driver (Titleist 905T), 9.5 degrees. So far, I haven't noticed any significant difference in my trajectory.

I like the look and feel of the SLDR, but I haven't gained any distance over my previous, 10 yr old, driver. I may even have lost distance. I am experimenting with a couple different shafts now to see if the Speeder 65 in the SLDR is just not a good fit for me. The 905T has the Graphite Design YS-6+. I have tried to chase it from my bag over the years and just haven't found one yet that has made any sense. I am giving the SLDR and extended chance. We will see...

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I will continue in the vein of not answering your direct question, but only because I haven't tried a SLDR.
    Hah - I figured that. It's all good, sound advice too so I hope I didn't sound crusty or anything.
    And I should have make it clear that I usually hit a 9* driver and was going on the TM recommendations that you "definitely need to loft up with these low-spinning bombers!"

Also should have mentioned that I am playing the stock Fujikura Speeder stiff shaft, cut down to play at 44.5". I swung it for the first time yesterday before playing The Marshes in that wind and I was really pleased overall. I "think" I was getting some more roll than usual despite the higher than expected ball flights, but each drive was quite penetrating - even right into the wind. I hit one duck hook all day, but that was on me - immediately after, I hit my provisional right down the pipe and had just a little half lob wedge shot onto #13 green.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    But I do have a couple of comments / questions:
    - At 12* on your current SLDR, you have already lofted up, so you might actually be at the optimal loft for you.
    - If you do try a lower lofted version, swap the shaft from your current SLDR into it so that you don't introduce another variable.
    - Is there a reason you think your current ball flight is too high?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    John, you can't swap shafts in a SLDR-S, they are a glued version. Would have to be a traditional type of club work.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Missed the SLDR-S part.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    John, you can't swap shafts in a SLDR-S, they are a glued version. Would have to be a traditional type of club work.
    I know the SLDR-S has no loft adjustment like the original SLDR but surely it's not a permanent shaft?! I never read that anywhere...that'd be nuts. And my understanding is/was that the heads are exactly the same...just no option to loft up or down.

jhazelton
    Quote Originally Posted by SnazzyD View Post
    I know the SLDR-S has no loft adjustment like the original SLDR but surely it's not a permanent shaft?! I never read that anywhere...that'd be nuts. And my understanding is/was that the heads are exactly the same...just no option to loft up or down.
    Well, the shaft is epoxied into the hosel like all drivers used to be. There is sleeve adapter on the SLDR-S, so you would need to pull the shaft and epoxy a new one in.

Well, now I know. Good thing I really like the stock Speeder shaft at its current length!

Thread Information