CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Why isn't tiger as good as before?

After reading the Byron thread I am wondering why tiger isn't as dominant as he was in 2000. What is he doing different? Is it even him? Maybe everyone else just got better. I don’t know much about golf so I can’t tell what the difference is but back then you didn’t ever hear about Vijay, dimarco, Phil and the others (did hear a lot about els back them). So isn’t it possible that everyone else just got better? I can’t imagine the courses changing much over 4 years so can’t we just check how he shot on certain courses back then and how he plays them this year?

BG458
    Vijay rocks, so what if he is ugly, he still is awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    The other pros just got better around him.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Tiger is still in a changing phase. Will he ever dominate? No one knows but my guess is yes!

The guy missed his first cut since 1998. This says a lot.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    After reading the Byron thread I am wondering why tiger isn't as dominant as he was in 2000. What is he doing different? Is it even him? Maybe everyone else just got better. I don’t know much about golf so I can’t tell what the difference is but back then you didn’t ever hear about Vijay, dimarco, Phil and the others (did hear a lot about els back them). So isn’t it possible that everyone else just got better? I can’t imagine the courses changing much over 4 years so can’t we just check how he shot on certain courses back then and how he plays them this year?
    I think it was BC Mist who pointed out that his driving goes over the top now a lot of the times...you never saw that before. What got him to this point is beyond me, but I think everyone is dreaming if they think the other pros "got better around him". To me the difference is his confidence. I remember he had no fear, now I see fear in his eyes. Maybe he isn't practicing as much as he used to....

If you look now, its VJ who is heralded as having the best work ethic, and it seems to be paying off.

"Richard"
    Isn't there a website that we can go to to check out he did on certain courses in 2000 and how he has done on them in the past two years? If everyone just got better around him then he would still be shooting the same scores and yes everyone got better around him but if his scores are up then obviously its him

Yes BG, vijay is awesome but will he ever be as marketable as tiger, sergio and the others... no. Why?

Cause he is an a-hole

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Gee... what's new in Tiger's life... not his driver! Hmmmm Has he stopped working out...hmmmm... it's something .... but I just can't put my finger on it.. and if I did I'd get arrested
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quite honestly what is the incentive to practice to get better and better and win.

An earlier thread showed the majority of his earnings in 2004:
    http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...ger+appearance
    Earnings from tournament play counted for only 7% of his earnings.

His drive from youth to be a great or the greatest golfer has been replaced with the desire to be the greatest golf endorser of all time. If you could scrounge together $7 million dollars I am sure he would endorse www.ottawagolf.com, and for another $2 million he would play a round of golf with you. Can you say "sell out", to coin a phrase from the music industry.

He now has the endorsments. He is now striving to be the Anna Korunkovia (spelling - you know the hot female tennis player) of golf; marketable and you don't have to win. The best of both worlds (don't get me wrong but if you can get away with it good for you).

He is a great golfer, but he needs to get the incentive back. I think it will take a number of years for him to grow up (maybe lose a big endorsment because he is no longer as marketable) and realize that he is still in the shadow of great golfers of the past.
    Back at it.

"Richard"
    I've talked about this with my friends alot but in terms of hockey. Its all about heart. Just like in hockey, mario is the most talented hockey player to ever play the game. he played on a crap team and won two cups with the pens and didn't have a team that scored 400 goals a year. His scoring average is still higher than waynes. What was the difference? Gretz had heart, he was media friendly and he loved the game. He gave it his all every night and that is what made him the best player ever but mario was more talented. Mario took would take off the first or second games of a back to back because he thought it was more important to save his legs than win the game. I guess the same thing is happening to tiger. He has no heart, nothing to prove and no desire. Why does he need birdie the next two holes to win the tourney and the $700,000 when he gets atleast that sometimes just to show up? He makes that much a week anyway($40mil a year). Or maybe its a combination of both. I don't remember phil ever being this good or Vijay being this good. But I don't remember tiger being this bad either. I would imagine all the women golfers are getting better as well but there is still one lady at the top running away with it almost every week. Looks like she is getting better as well. I remember when I was positive tiger would smash every golfing record in the book. I guess that won't happen.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    WOW!!! This is hilarious. Tiger has no desire!!! Why is he changing his swing? Tiger has no heart!!! That probably why he won three tournaments, including the masters this year. Give me a brake.

The guy misses one cut in 143 tournaments and you are coming down on him like this!!!!

There is nobody on tour in my opinion that has more desire to win then Tiger. He proved it in 142 straight tournaments and 40+ tournament victories in what, 9 years?

Els is in now the leader in consecutive cuts made with 19. Does this mean he has no hart or desire?

Have you ever played and gave it all you had but still came up short? Does that mean you have no hart? Tiger is human like all of us. Tiger put the bar way up and he will never be able to play at that level every single tournament cause it’s impossible. But you no what, every time he doesn’t bay at that level, he will be scrutinised and picked apart. That not fair. Judging him by saying that he has no hart and desire is also unfair. Only Tiger knows.

In my opinion, Tiger is having confidence problems with his drivers. He is also looking at his father slowly dying. That hard to watch when your dad is your hero.

Same thing happened to Phil two years ago. What’s wrong with Phil, he’s finished, no desire??? The reason was, well all know the reason.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Thread Information