CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I'd find another golf course to play.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Here is a recent example of what a local course expect as pace of play...
    This course has 3 9s, and we teed off on Course 1 at 9am. There were only 3 of us and we got to the 1st hole of our back 9, Course 2, at 10:50. We figured we would keep on our good pace, but instead we found 2 foursomes waiting to tee off for their FIRST 9.
    We were not thrilled about the 25 minute wait that we were now facing, and when asked for an explanation by the pro shop/starter, we were told that they expected us to be ready to start our 2nd 9 at 11:15 or so, not 10:50. They routinely book tee times based on 2h15 9s and they figured they had room for a few other foursomes before out 10th hole.

So what would you do in this case? Do you think you should be moved ahead of these other golfers?
    That's pretty horrible, not sure what the solution is to that. This happened to us earlier this summer, only there were 3 groups already on 10 when we made the turn. We were also told we were too fast on the front, although I don't get how that explains 4 groups on one hole. We played one more hole and then left after a brief chat with the pro shop. I'm not sure what they could do in your situation. I wonder if all courses rotating 3 nines has this problem.

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post
    I'm fine with keeping up to the group ahead but the analogy of fast lane is ridiculous

Example is today at Chateau Cartier. Tee off at 9:00am as 2-some walking. There was 3-some (older gentlemen) walking ahead of us, another 3-some (2 women and a man) walking behind us and a 2-some riding (father and son) behinds them.

We caught up to the 3-some ahead after about 3 holes..from then on we were waiting pretty much 3-4 minutes per hole the rest of the way..but I realized that they were not slow at all even though there is no one ahead... we had no qualm about waiting so we didn't bother pushing them to play through.

The 2-some which passed the 3-some behind us came up and started yelling at us AND through us to the 3-some ahead. We told them to be quiet or go home. They must have called the clubhouse as the marshal came by and stood behind our tail..not the 3-some ahead ..how nice. He took off realizing it's not us

So whose fault is it ?.. 3-some ahead of us ? Should they wave us through..they didn't or we never bother ? The tee sheet that has two-some behind the 3-some, 4-some will almost always experience this log jam..I think this is the problem with the course and not the players.

The 3-some ahead of us is playing their pace ..not terrible slow at all. They are older and I can see that they were trying hard to push along. We are 2-some and it just happened that today we played a bit better golf and caught up. Trust me my partner is a slow player..I meant slow...yet we finished our round ~3.5 hours or so.

I realize that this might not be fast enough for a 2-some but I can't fault the group ahead. They finished their round pretty much the same time 3.5hrs for 3-some hence they were not slow at all in my opinion.

As for the father & son riding, we looked back at them for a few holes while waiting and I'm sure they were just out there for fresh air and not golf.. The kid couldn't even get the ball of the ground. I wonder why the heck did they play so fast and get frustrated waiting..it's not Indy 500 golf in the fast lane.
    Lol @ people who can't man up and ask nicely. i don't think most fast players advocate doing what those 2 did, but if they would of asked nicely I would of let them go since I decided to not pass the slower ones in front. Just imo.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Here is a recent example of what a local course expect as pace of play...
    This course has 3 9s, and we teed off on Course 1 at 9am. There were only 3 of us and we got to the 1st hole of our back 9, Course 2, at 10:50. We figured we would keep on our good pace, but instead we found 2 foursomes waiting to tee off for their FIRST 9.
    We were not thrilled about the 25 minute wait that we were now facing, and when asked for an explanation by the pro shop/starter, we were told that they expected us to be ready to start our 2nd 9 at 11:15 or so, not 10:50. They routinely book tee times based on 2h15 9s and they figured they had room for a few other foursomes before out 10th hole.

So what would you do in this case? Do you think you should be moved ahead of these other golfers?
    Yes, you should be moved ahead of the other groups or at least after the first group waiting but before any other groups. You should also have been given the option to play the 3rd nine if space was available. A 25 minute wait time because of over-booking by the golf course, without any attempt at accommodation or redress, is not acceptable.

A course with 27 holes should split them into an 18-hole course and a 9-hole course for the day. If the 18-hole course is booked solid that day then you can play the 9-hole course twice during prime times if you want. The "front nine" of the 18-hole course for the day will open up in the late afternoon/early evening anyway, so you could potentially use it as the "back nine" for those who started on the 9-hole course earlier.

This is not rocket science - its just good customer service. Some courses get it, and some don't.
    Last edited by justsomeguy; 09-17-2015 at 09:19 PM.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Just let faster golfers play through that's that. At Cartier the three older gentleman should have let you play through if there was room in front of them, you should never be waiting on every shot you hit, that's nuts.

3 Iron spuds is on a distinguished road spuds's Avatar
    Slow play? how about people in carts purchasing more beers from cart girls while people are waiting on the fairways

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Slow play? how about people in carts purchasing more beers from cart girls while people are waiting on the fairways
    I blame the beer girl for that

They should have stopped only at the green so the guys can buy it after they finish the hole..and not in the middle of fairway.

The worst part is after the beer, they are too drunk to find their balls !

Played eQuinelle this morning, threesome in just under 3 hours. We did have the golf boards as we wanted to try those out. We weren't playing fast at all or rushing, just a nice pace. One group of 3 in front of us were walking who we kept up with the whole round.

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road
    I am not sure what this thread is about anymore. These days I do not keep a handicap and generally do not play by all the rules. I do not look for lost balls and do not take distance penalties plus I am real generous on giving myself 3 footers as in. Have played golf since I was 8 or 9 and thoudands of rounds. I can also play in under 3 hours but saying that is not fast or trying to get people at that pace is crazy. If you play by the rules like I used to and putt everything out and look when your ball entered the woods it takes more time. Also playing public courses and that is mostly what I do these days as a single or twosome usually most people are hackers. When I get paired up even with my crappy game these days I would say that I am better then 85-90% of the people I get to play with. The other problem I find with lots of the people I get matched with is finding the golf ball that also slows things down.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    While it is good to finally get some action on the forum I think we have all pretty well killed this horse---time to move on and take a deep breath
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    While it is good to finally get some action on the forum I think we have all pretty well killed this horse---time to move on and take a deep breath
    Yep!!!

Birdie golfin-buddy is on a distinguished road golfin-buddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    When not busy during the week. If the tee sheet is pretty packed and mostly all foursomes not sure you will finish in 4H30.

Lots more walking than Champlain or Chateau Cartier for example. I'd be curious to know the walking distance between Gatineau and Champlain.

I always try to get an early tee time on the weekends to avoid slow play.
    If I tee off around 8or a little before we usually get in pretty fast. If I tee off at 10 then it's another story
    Can only speak for the Gatineau, but we have been step counted between 10 000 to 11 000 steps. Gives approx 6.5 miles of walking for a round played at 90-95 strokes. When we hosted a Golf Quebec junior tour event last year, the "TIME PAR" was set at 4h30. Considering the distance between some holes, we felt it right and keep this in mind when calculating pace. The event was won at 6 under for 2 rounds and pace was about 4h50 for the last group. Tournament pace is always a little slower of course.

Our starters are instructed to state to every group that pace of play is to keep up to the group in front, that we would like you to play in 4 hours but will accept a round of 4h30.

Pace is a very difficult thing to control and always a concern. Weekends are the toughest to control but we have been happy with 4h30 as a solid average for the year.

We've had a few incidents this year where we were higher but it was due to some individuals that were a little... selfish lets say . Tried to explain to them the ripple effect of being slow and how many people it will affect but nothing came of it. They were dealt with and eventually went from a 5h45 pace to finishing in just under 5h.

Can't win them all I guess but they were told that we will never accept being a 5hour golf course. That is simply not acceptable.
    Hope that answers your question.

Martin Bertrand
    Director of Golf
    Gatineau GCC

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by HoganWoods View Post
    Lol @ people who can't man up and ask nicely. i don't think most fast players advocate doing what those 2 did, but if they would of asked nicely I would of let them go since I decided to not pass the slower ones in front. Juist imo.
    I'm curious whether a 2some playing through more than a single group affects the times of everyone else. If I have a wait a few minutes for them, then the group ahead has to wait a few minutes for them, and I wait for that group to me it seems like multiple groups are affected for a twosome.

I feel were pretty fast golfers, we play a 4some walking in 345-4 hours and it annoys me when people behind me on a busy course feel they have the right to play through.

Shagging Balls dmartin is on a distinguished road
    They Don't !!!

a busy course... your in position.... they can sit all day...

and we play 3:40 walking all in 60's if we can.
    Last edited by dmartin; 09-20-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orangeTANG View Post
    I'm curious whether a 2some playing through more than a single group affects the times of everyone else. If I have a wait a few minutes for them, then the group ahead has to wait a few minutes for them, and I wait for that group to me it seems like multiple groups are affected for a twosome.

I feel were pretty fast golfers, we play a 4some walking in 345-4 hours and it annoys me when people behind me on a busy course feel they have the right to play through.
    we played through a threesome today. We were two and they were nice enough to let us through - they waved us on but we would have been ok if they hadn't as we weren't really waiting that much. We played the back at eQunielle in 1:20. At the time we were a hole and a half ahead of the group behind us so there was no way it slowed anything down behind us.

If it's me and I see a group waiting for a couple of holes, I would much rather let them through than feel like I am being rushed or holding someone up.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    My wife and I played a half a dozen rounds in Ireland / Northern Ireland this summer. Five out of the six rounds were 3:45 or less. The one round that was longer was played on a course that will host the British Open in 2019. Our host, a member, was keen on showing us every change that was to be made to the course for the event, which added a considerable amount of time to the round.

Rarely did we see groups of more than two (when we did it was typically tour groups - my wife and I were on our own). Fortunately, we were usually out before the tour groups arrived at the course for the day. For casual rounds, most play match play in Ireland, and we did the same. This helped move things along, especially on difficult, unfamiliar courses. Our obsession with medal play here in North America could use a rethink.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    4 hours 45 minute round at Stonebridge today , very frustrating

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    That is a bit slow but I am pretty sure Stonebridge is happy with 2h15m for each 9... So you weren't far off...

they may be happy , but I sure wasn't .....on the positive the course is in really nice shape

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cleek View Post
    4 hours 45 minute round at Stonebridge today , very frustrating
    We were a hair over 5 hours... kept up with group ahead of us as did the group behind us. I was not particularly happy with it, but was happy to be out in shorts and golf shirt on a day that was very much summer like only a couple weeks before Thanksgiving.

Equinelle today , 4 hours , perfect pace and great weather

Sand Wedge dq2003 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post
    I'm fine with keeping up to the group ahead but the analogy of fast lane is ridiculous

Example is today at Chateau Cartier. Tee off at 9:00am as 2-some walking. There was 3-some (older gentlemen) walking ahead of us, another 3-some (2 women and a man) walking behind us and a 2-some riding (father and son) behinds them.

We caught up to the 3-some ahead after about 3 holes..from then on we were waiting pretty much 3-4 minutes per hole the rest of the way..but I realized that they were not slow at all even though there is no one ahead... we had no qualm about waiting so we didn't bother pushing them to play through.

The 2-some which passed the 3-some behind us came up and started yelling at us AND through us to the 3-some ahead. We told them to be quiet or go home. They must have called the clubhouse as the marshal came by and stood behind our tail..not the 3-some ahead ..how nice. He took off realizing it's not us

So whose fault is it ?.. 3-some ahead of us ? Should they wave us through..they didn't or we never bother ? The tee sheet that has two-some behind the 3-some, 4-some will almost always experience this log jam..I think this is the problem with the course and not the players.

The 3-some ahead of us is playing their pace ..not terrible slow at all. They are older and I can see that they were trying hard to push along. We are 2-some and it just happened that today we played a bit better golf and caught up. Trust me my partner is a slow player..I meant slow...yet we finished our round ~3.5 hours or so.

I realize that this might not be fast enough for a 2-some but I can't fault the group ahead. They finished their round pretty much the same time 3.5hrs for 3-some hence they were not slow at all in my opinion.

As for the father & son riding, we looked back at them for a few holes while waiting and I'm sure they were just out there for fresh air and not golf.. The kid couldn't even get the ball of the ground. I wonder why the heck did they play so fast and get frustrated waiting..it's not Indy 500 golf in the fast lane.
    Play as a foursome with the twosome in the cart.

Thread Information