100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar

Slow Play and Extreme slow dog.

Been stewing about this all week. Was playing at at a higher end west end course last Sunday and couldn't believe how slow they have allowed people to play now. Took 2.75 hours for 9 holes with a 15 minute wait at each tee. At the turn we were hoping to get ahead of the group ahead of us but was told by the starter that there was no point as there were no gaps, the marshall happened along and agreed and they suggested we go to the half-way house for a snack and drink as the group ahead had just got to the tee-box and tee'd from three different tee's and took forever!

OK. Fine. Food. Drink!

Went to the club-house and ordered a couple of drinks and a hot-dog, you know, quick food. I noticed that the usual wide variety of condiments that you would normally get here was reduced to squeeze bottles of Ketchup, French's Mustard and Bick's relish and regretted my order already. Then it took 25 minutes to get our dogs. (W. T. F.! This is right at noon - who doesn't have them already preheated)

So in the middle of the wait we noticed the foursome that were behind us were heading to the tee but were still waiting for the group ahead of us to clear. We went to the starter/marshall and were willing to leave the dogs but they gave the go-ahead for that group to preceed, with someone suggesting we should join up with the two-some a couple of holes back.

OK. Angry!

We finally got our dogs and ate them and still had to wait for that group to clear. When we were finally able to hit we were both so upset we both plowed our drives left into the water. When we went to hit our drops, the group ahead was still not even nearly on the green and all over the place, then the beverage cart drove by, assuming, wrongly that we wouldn't need a refill from the over now 45 minute old empty drinks in our hands.

OK. Last Straw Broken!

Simple math, so far, well over three hours in and just barely half done.
    Looked at my wife and she just cocked her head back and we picked up and walked back up the fairway and left. The starter looked like he wanted to say something to us as we walked up the empty first tee box, but I didn't want to talk to anyone, so we left. Noting a parking lot , normally full on a Sunday, barely 25% full. Wonder why?

Thank God we were playing on some gifted free passes of which we still have some. As we usually play a competitive family/friend tourney there, I might have them for sale soon, if I can convince the others to move to a different course.
    Last edited by stevek; 08-28-2015 at 08:04 AM.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road
    I gotta ask because I am one of these people that takes no condiments on my hot-dog or burger but I have them at home for when I have company. Is Bick's relish not good because that is the one I have. People will take it and nobody as told me it is bad but maybe people just being polite. I also play weekend golf and we are usually only two players sometimes we get paired up but if not and course is full we try to take our time and make the best of it. This is not for everybody but if course is real slow like you mentioned and no cars in parking lot we sometimes go see if we can replay the same nine or if course as more then 18 play a different nine.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Been stewing about this all week. Was playing at at a higher end west end course last Sunday and couldn't believe how slow they have allowed people to play now. Took 2.75 hours for 9 holes with a 15 minute wait at each tee. At the turn we were hoping to get ahead of the group ahead of us but was told by the starter that there was no point as there were no gaps, the marshall happened along and agreed and they suggested we go to the half-way house for a snack and drink as the group ahead had just got to the tee-box and tee'd from three different tee's and took forever!

OK. Fine. Food. Drink!

Went to the club-house and ordered a couple of drinks and a hot-dog, you know, quick food. I noticed that the usual wide variety of condiments that you would normally get here was reduced to squeeze bottles of Ketchup, French's Mustard and Bick's relish and regretted my order already. Then it took 25 minutes to get our dogs. (W. T. F.! This is right at noon - who doesn't have them already preheated)

So in the middle of the wait we noticed the foursome that were behind us were heading to the tee but were still waiting for the group ahead of us to clear. We went to the starter/marshall and were willing to leave the dogs but they gave the go-ahead for that group to preceed, with someone suggesting we should join up with the two-some a couple of holes back.

OK. Angry!

We finally got our dogs and ate them and still had to wait for that group to clear. When we were finally able to hit we were both so upset we both plowed our drives left into the water. When we went to hit our drops, the group ahead was still not even nearly on the green and all over the place, then the beverage cart drove by, assuming, wrongly that we wouldn't need a refill from the over now 45 minute old empty drinks in our hands.

OK. Last Straw Broken!

Simple math, so far, well over three hours in and just barely half done.
    Looked at my wife and she just cocked her head back and we picked up and walked back up the fairway and left. The starter looked like he wanted to say something to us as we walked up the empty first tee box, but I didn't want to talk to anyone, so we left. Noting a parking lot , normally full on a Sunday, barely 25% full. Wonder why?

Thank God we were playing on some gifted free passes of which we still have some. As we usually play a competitive family/friend tourney there, I might have them for sale soon, if I can convince the others to move to a different course.
    It is after reading posts like this that I think just how lucky I am to belong to a private course. I can't remember the last time it took over 4 hours to play 18 holes. Oh and we also have amazing condiments for our hotdogs (plus they put them in a panni press for 30 seconds to toast the bun).....

Ok that is two people that say Bick's relish is no good. Could you guys tell me what kind of relish I should be buying. Also my ketchup bottle is Heinz. It looks like the ones you often see in restaurants is that ok. If not could you recommend one. Mentioning private courses playing Carleton today will have a look at condiments and will report back on pace of play and conditions.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouboude View Post
    Ok that is two people that say Bick's relish is no good. Could you guys tell me what kind of relish I should be buying. Also my ketchup bottle is Heinz. It looks like the ones you often see in restaurants is that ok. If not could you recommend one. Mentioning private courses playing Carleton today will have a look at condiments and will report back on pace of play and conditions.
    Carleton has a very good chicken salad sandwhich at the halfway hut. Just make sure you finish it before you play the 10th hole otherwise a crow is likely to enjoy your snack.

Johny thanks for the advice but I saw it after my round. Ended up just getting a hot dog and it was good. I looked at condiments and all of them Heinz. Pace of play was really good probably would of been right around 4 hours but we took a small rest at the halfway hut and took it a little slow on back. Conditions really good except the greens have been punched and sand on top but still running well. I would say within 7-10 days greens should be back to normal.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with Heinz mustard/relish/ketchup trio... Bicks relish is fine... I also get no name at Loblaws or Walmart because when you're looking for garden variety relish, any of them will do. Regular onions too, though I like red, white, spanish or vidalia ones when I get a chance.

At the end of the day, I can't ever recall being disappointed with hot dog condiments anywhere. Waiting forever for the hot dog between nines, though, I've encountered that more than once. Some courses allow you to call from the 9th hole to lessen any potential delays - something worth looking into...

3 Wood 3putt is on a distinguished road 3putt's Avatar
    Not a big fan of relish in general. Played Hawksbury this weekend and the condiments selection was very good. White onions, hot peppers and an amazing coleslaw. I thing generally coleslaw is underated on a hotdog.

The course itself was in great condition and the pace of play was good. Just a little over 4 hours. Very nice course and worth the drive from Ottawa.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    To continue the thread jack, Bick's relish is great, I like the sauerkraut (coleslaw's German cousin, I suppose) and the jalepenos on my costco hotdog.
    Andrew

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Been stewing about this all week. Was playing at at a higher end west end course last Sunday and couldn't believe how slow they have allowed people to play now.
    Personally, I would name the course. If they aren't willing to police the slow play, then people should know.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

I did sort of but the post was deleted. I just gave a general location as in west of this course and just east of this course, but apparently it was too specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    To continue the thread jack, Bick's relish is great, I like the sauerkraut (coleslaw's German cousin, I suppose) and the jalepenos on my costco hotdog.
    I have no problem with Bick's relish but the normal set-up at this course would have sauerkraut, hot peppers, fresh cut onions, pickles, ect. I guess they only do that at their numerous weekday tournaments.

Sand Wedge DMWARREN is on a distinguished road
    We retired folks NEVER play on weekends so for the most part we don't run into the weekend hackers. Example, played Thursday at Manderly in a 4some and played it in 3 hrs and 20 minutes and that was not rushing.

Sand Wedge dq2003 is on a distinguished road
    I notice that often times this is due to groups ahead being:

twosome-twosome-threesome-twosome.

Geez, they would be better off sending then as a 4-some and 5-some

We played twice this year as a 5-some and did not lose any ground to the players ahead of us and the group behind us never had to wait.

Thread Information