100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar

Tell me about your G2 driver

Well, I took the plunge and picked up a Ping G2 driver last night. Really wanted the Blue ProLaunch but couldn't find one so settled on an 8.5* with the NV-65 stiff.
    Would appreciate any comments from users of this driver as to how they like it. I'll be trying it on the weekend but man is it beautiful! How do you miss with one of these things?

jhazelton

Couldn't stop thinking about it?

I guess I put the bug in your ear and you could shake it...

You won't be disappointed.

As you know, mine is the exact same specs and even though I have toyed with the idea of trading it, I am more than pleased. My motivation is more to do with money better spent elsewhere than the driver performance. This driver purchase is by far my biggest investment in golf equipment and I am still getting used to that idea.

On a good swing, the driver gives me a nice mid level penetrating flight with slight draw (exactly what I am looking for). My worst swings result in a hook, but that has nothing to do with the club. I have slightly pushed a few, but do they ever fly.

I had it out a KH's on Wednesday with the 40 km/h behind me and let em tell you, it was good for the ego.

The one thing I have noticed, is the NV-65 stiff requires that you get the swing speed up to load the shaft. Taking an easy swing doesn't get the results I would expect.

Have fun with it.

Jason

Thanks Jason. Interesting info. Good to hear your feelings on the NV shaft. I was more worried that it would not be stiff enough for my swing.
    And, yes you are the one who put the bug in my ear LOL! In fact I ended up trading in the Eye 2+s on the driver.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I don't have a G2, but I did have an NV65-S in one of my previous drivers. It's a solid shaft, but definitely on the stiff side.

Currently playing an NVS65-S and liking it better.

Lob Wedge downtownbrown is on a distinguished road
    i tried the 10 * with the prolaunch and i have a ignite 460 10 * with the prolaunch 65, very similar but prefer my ignite

Quote Originally Posted by jhazelton
    As you know, mine is the exact same specs and even though I have toyed with the idea of trading it, I am more than pleased. My motivation is more to do with money better spent elsewhere than the driver performance. This driver purchase is by far my biggest investment in golf equipment and I am still getting used to that idea.
    Well Jason, as for the money side I couldn't agree with you more. But sleep easy. I used mine for two rounds this weekend and I have completely forgotten how much money it cost. I have hit every driver known to man and this is the King. Ping has a real winner here. It is not the distance that stuns me as much as how straight and forgiving this driver is. It's worth every single penny you paid.

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Proforged
    Thanks Jason. Interesting info. Good to hear your feelings on the NV shaft. I was more worried that it would not be stiff enough for my swing.
    And, yes you are the one who put the bug in my ear LOL! In fact I ended up trading in the Eye 2+s on the driver.
    Hmmm..., it is plenty stiff. I could not load the G2/Nv 65 "S" I had while my present 983K with the stiff Titleist Speeder is fine. Work on your turn.

jhazelton

No problem loading it

I have no trouble loading the shaft on a full swing. My swing speed is in the 105-110 mph range and when I give it a 90-95% swing.

It is those times where I know I am not swinging as well as I could be and with drivers in the past, I could back off to 80% effort, reduce the swing spped to the mid-90's and safely put it out 225-250. I haven't found a way to reliably accomplish that with the G2. My results have been unpredictable if I try to swing easy.

Overall though, this has little to do with my overall satisfaction with the driver. As Proforged mentioned, its forgiveness is magical. As a result, I expect I would have nearly as many days when I would to use the 80% swing.

The shaft seems to be working fine for me now Robert. Glad I tried it again.

9 Iron scottymac is on a distinguished road scottymac's Avatar
    Best $$$ I've Ever Spent On Golf !!!

Love It
    SCOTT

Albatross bobjones59 is on a distinguished road bobjones59's Avatar
    Picked one up at GT 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it. Mine has the regular flex NV in it. I was always a TM guy (360, 540XD, R510TP) and always had stiff shafts in them, but I find the Aldila NV regular to be stiffer that a regular stock shaft. Also, I always used 9.5 loft with the TM's and bought this one with 11.5 loft and it really has changed my game. Ball flight is definitely higher and straighter, which = LONGER! Hit 4 drives over 300 yds. on the weekend so I am definitely pleased with the PING G2. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjones59
    I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it.
    Well I sure had fun with it at the range tonight. This driver really is unbelievable. Nothing but straight every time. I would never have believed a driver could be so easy to hit. I've hit at least 100 balls with it now and have yet to hit one slice. This beats my previous record by about 93 balls.
    I have no doubt it is changing your game. Hitting your second shot from the middle of the fairway has a way of doing that...

3 Wood LeftyT is on a distinguished road LeftyT's Avatar
    I bought my G2 a couple of days ago...and man it goes and keeps going. Very forgiving. I think this might be it. I'm thinking of getting the new Calloway Big Bertha titanum 454. I've never really been a fan of it but its not a bad driver. Its really consistant but not as long as the G2. I think I may buy it as a back up. The G2, I've been hitting it around 290 to 300. Very long. My driver is 10* w/ Aldila NV65, stiff shaft. Great club overall. Way better than the TiSi Tec. I think for $449, its a great buy. The Calloway is a great buy too...at $349. The shaft is okay. Prolly need to upgrade it. But for $349, Fantastic deal for a Calloway that hits a ton and consistant. The R7 quad was not as good. I thought it was the best out there but for me a huge disappointment. for $499 or 849 for the TP model...a bit of loss there.

G2 should do well for anyone that wants it long and forgiving.

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    I'm looking at picking up a G2 myself. Can anyone comment on the difference between Aldila and Grafalloy shafts? I'm looking at a 10 degree but not sure which shaft. My swing speed is approx 110mph with a lower than average ball flight. A good drive I can getout around 290 but a lot of it is roll - I'd like more carry. thanks!

3 Wood LeftyT is on a distinguished road LeftyT's Avatar
    I believe the Grafalloy has a higher ball flight than the Aldila. The NV65S shaft is solid. Feels great. I think a stiff flex in the Aldila shaft would be good. I'm at around 95 to 100 and it feels great. Also, maybe consider trying a 11.5 degree, that will give you more control and a higher ball flight if you want that flight...

Thread Information