CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter dozer996 is on a distinguished road

Building House with Golf Sim - Need Advice

Attached is my space for the new Golf Room with 11ft ceilings.

I am open to suggestions from the community.

1. What is the best use of space? Hit towards the south wall or west wall?
    2. I have a budget of $7,000
    a. Projector is excluded from the budget as I already have a 1080p projector
    b. what kind of hitting mat?
    c. what kind of impact screen?
    d. what kind of head unit, GC2 or Flight Scope?
    e. I'm thinking of doing the entire floor in a putting surface, say something from Pro Putt Systems and then designate a hitting area for the Sim...good idea?

I'm open to what ever anyone wants to include...I'm new to this and want to get it right the first time.

Cheers

Golf Room.jpg

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    (traditionalists can skip this post as sci-fi nonsense)

This sounds awesome - I've always wanted to do something like this but never had the space. I was even looking into rigging up my garage/storage room until I experienced modern VR for the first time and realized I'd need to actually "be there", and that it would be a lot cheaper, too.

So personally, I'd get the HTC Vive VR headset when it comes out in November and actually BE there on the course. It supports a tracking volume of about 15x15 feet which is more than enough to address the ball or line up a putt, etc. The only IF being whether The Golf Club or other title will patch in native support for it. I know there's one golf title set to launch alongside it, but it seems a bit dinky and not the kind of "sim" experience most of us on here would want.

Still not sure if there will be a merging of traditional sim mechanics (the tracking of the ball, the hitting of a real ball with real clubs, etc.) but I'm pretty sure this will happen pretty soon. The world of home entertainment is about to change dramatically...

archv6625
    I completed a build that was remarkably similar to that. I even used the proputtsystems turf. My room even has the notch in the back like yours. I hit against the west wall, with a room width of 15' and a depth of 19'6" to the notch and about 28' by the back of the notch.
    I went with Protee, so I used that as the hitting mat. I used Cory's HQ screen - worked great. Also, I got a hole saw and cut a few holes in the floor so putts can drop.

For the floor, I used 1.5" foam topped with 3/4" t&G Osb. It was almost the perfect height for the protee system.

THe picture is just before it was finished, but you get the idea.
    GolfSim.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, nice setup

6 Iron psyflyjohn is on a distinguished road
    Need a room mate?

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I think you are setting up for a pretty nice room. I don't think you have the length for a flightscope though, but a camera system would seem to fit.

Putter GOLF JRK is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dozer996 View Post
    Attached is my space for the new Golf Room with 11ft ceilings.

I am open to suggestions from the community.

1. What is the best use of space? Hit towards the south wall or west wall?
    2. I have a budget of $7,000
    a. Projector is excluded from the budget as I already have a 1080p projector
    b. what kind of hitting mat?
    c. what kind of impact screen?
    d. what kind of head unit, GC2 or Flight Scope?
    e. I'm thinking of doing the entire floor in a putting surface, say something from Pro Putt Systems and then designate a hitting area for the Sim...good idea?

I'm open to what ever anyone wants to include...I'm new to this and want to get it right the first time.

Cheers

Attachment 50430
    Is your room complete? Can you share any details (screen size) of your setup? How did it turn out?

Not complete yet. Just went through the electrical stages. Room should be completed in the Spring time.

I'm struggling on space though, Width and Length are both 14 ft. This room wasn't specifically created for the simulator so I struggling on how this is going to work really. When I stand in the room (basically the middle of the room) and swing I have clearance both ways, there is just not much room for the ball to travel. Is that going to be an issue?

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    As Dax said before, that is plenty of room for a camera-type launch monitor setup.

Not enough length of flight for radar though.

On another note, wtf was SnazzyD talking about? Why did he bring up VR headsets?

I took my Driver into the space and made some swings and it is good to go. The only undesirable thing is that the ball won't fly very far before it hits the impact screen...oh well.

So, I'm going to probably go with a GC2. What is the best setup with the GC2 right now?

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    I think you'll blow your budget on a gc2 and mat alone unless you go used. The used supply may be running low. A lot people, me included, are using The Golf Club Game Simulator software. It's $995. It'll work with a gc2. The country club elite mat is popular as is the par2pro screen. You'll need a strong pc. There is a lot of talk about Perfect Golf coming out for gc2 but it's in beta and I'd worry about anything beta.

Thread Information