CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge MoeNorman is on a distinguished road MoeNorman's Avatar

Best driver for me?

Any help or suggestions would be welcome. 54 years old and have a slow swing speed.looking for a new driver. Any suggestions on what driver would help with distance.

Thanks

Lob Wedge Mazenblue is on a distinguished road
    Hi Moe, Loaded question. I just finished a very long answer and somehow and probably best for everyone accidently deleted it. If you have an opportunity to go to a Tournament you can demo all the major brand names. You can find one that feels and works the best for you. I have a bunch of drivers and shafts. They all promise more distance. I keep buying them, I keep getting the same results. I have a simulator and all of my drivers are within a couple of yards of each other. My swing speed is supposed to be a regular, I am playing an X-stiff. Swing a lot of them, before you plunk down $500.00 plus on a driver.

I know what you mean. I'm hitting the R1 but I don't think it matters what I hit it goes same distance. I think the club I hit the best was ping g30 if that makes sense

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    An option for you to try a Ping G30 is go to Golftown and borrow a demo club, there is a bag full of them near a screen. All you need to do is leave a credit card swipe for it and you can have it for as long as you want. I tried an LST while I was waiting for delivery of a G25.

Quote Originally Posted by 1800Duffers View Post
    An option for you to try a Ping G30 is go to Golftown and borrow a demo club, there is a bag full of them near a screen. All you need to do is leave a credit card swipe for it and you can have it for as long as you want. I tried an LST while I was waiting for delivery of a G25.

Thanks. I hear g25 is good

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 1800Duffers View Post
    Wha? Seriously....I can demo a G30 or any other demo clubs I'd like to try out on a course....just like that?

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    My G25 replaced a G15 and the price was quite a bit better than the G30.

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    The best bit of advice I can give you is to focus on the shaft - think of it as the engine of the club while the various heads offer spin control/correction in different ways. Most modern drivers should have a fair bit of forgiveness built into them, but it won't mean much if the shaft doesn't fit/compliment your swing (speed, release, etc).

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    The best bit of advice I can give you is to focus on specifications that fit your swing profile. Think of the shaft as being the transmission of the golf club where the energy produced by your particular swing conforms with a shaft bearing similar characteristics in it's bend profile.

Loft and face angle along with center of gravity location within the head are actually more important factors when determining required specs for a driver.

Let's not forget optimal length for on center hits, total weight and appropriate swingweight for the golfer's swing.

I believe most golf retail outlets offer this type of intensively detailed fitting service.

Let us know when you find one that does

3 Wood boylebj is on a distinguished road boylebj's Avatar
    If you are looking for a generic club off the shelf, look for the following....

High loft 12-14 degrees (the slower the swing speed , the higher the loft)
    Shaft should be light <55g with a senior flex (will allow faster swing speed and whip)

I suggest looking at the following Drivers...

Ping G25 / Ping G30 LST
    SLDR s / Jet Speed / RBZ Stage 2
    Callaway X Hot
    Wilson D100 / D200

If you could get your hands on an Adams Speedline S, Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 or Cleveland Custom Classic...they are nice clubs.

Golf Avenue is a great place to buy clubs....

http://www.golfavenue.ca/en/

3 Wood boylebj is on a distinguished road boylebj's Avatar
    When using the simulator, check your backspin rate.
    If it's high (>3500) chances are that you are hitting down on the ball and may have an out to in swing. You may also be experiencing slicing.
    This will kill your distance no matter what Driver you use.

Some Drivers with Low Spin tech (i.e. Ping G25 / G30) will help, but until you correct the swing error, you will never achieve better distances.

Swing the club in to out...like your hitting to right field.
    On your downswing, drop your right elbow and thrust your hips forward toward target.
    Practice this at slower speeds and increase as you get more comfortable with the movement

Thanks for the tips

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Get professionally fitted, outdoors, on a launch monitor, at somewhere like Haime's. I recommend Dave Druken there. Great guy, no pressure, will work with you to find the right shaft / head combination. If you want a club that truly fits and one that you'll have for years to come, this is really the only way to go.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information