+ Reply to Thread
    MattGrass

Decent set to look for. Trying to take the next step in my game

I have played golf for the last 9 years or so, the last two as much as possible. I have played the last two years with a set of Ram Laser LX irons with regular flex graphite shafts. I am thinking of treating myself to some new irons, looking for more consistency in my iron game. I have a problem with hanging shots out to the right at times and hitting wedges/short irons into the scoring zone from 150yrds in.

Usually I hit the green but leave myself a 60ft knee knocker for birdie and eventually those turn into a couple of three putts.

I hit my current irons quite far when compared to other playing partners.

56* SW 90-110 yrds
    PW-125-135yrds
    9i-- 145-155 yrds
    8i-- 165-175 yrds
    7i-- 175-180 yrds
    6i-- 180-190 yrds
    5i-- 190-215 yrds

I never hit my four iron or my 3i due to lack of comfort I guess. I really need a GW for those in between shots for the gap between my SW and PW yardages.

I also carry a Ram 5wood and Ram 3wood. I eventually would like to replace these as well but I rarely hit them so they are not a priority right now.

I also use a TM 580 Tour Stiff 8.5* driver. I generally fly the ball 260-270 yrds with a light fade. When I over hit it, the ball does a large slice.

I can afford a set of top of the line clubs but I'd like an upgrade. I have been looking here and on Ebay for a lightly used set. I have been looking at a set of Fat Shaft Wilsons as a mid level type club.

What do you guys think?

I play to a 10-12 handicap, breaking the 70's twice last year and averaging 86-87 when I made it out to the big courses last year.

Aaron

Driver Brent4Hire is on a distinguished road
    Can afford or can't afford??? I assume that was a typo. If you are looking for well priced irons that suit your game I would look at something without offset, but not too blade-like, unless you want to go with blades. In new stuff, I really like the Wilson Pi5, the Ben Hogan BH5, and the MacGregor 1025C. The Mac's are going for $500 new at Golftown...the Hogans will set you back 700, and the Wilsons 800. You can get last years Taylor Made RAC LT on ebay for good price used but in good condition...they hit really nice as well. Also, the Mizuno MX-20 are pretty easy to find used and they are going for a good price. Just go to Golftown and hit everything they have in the simulator and see how they feel. Good Luck...enjoy the hunt.
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, ya might as well dance.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattGrass
    I have played golf for the last 9 years or so, the last two as much as possible. I have played the last two years with a set of Ram Laser LX irons with regular flex graphite shafts. I am thinking of treating myself to some new irons, looking for more consistency in my iron game. I have a problem with hanging shots out to the right at times and hitting wedges/short irons into the scoring zone from 150yrds in.

Usually I hit the green but leave myself a 60ft knee knocker for birdie and eventually those turn into a couple of three putts.

I hit my current irons quite far when compared to other playing partners.

56* SW 90-110 yrds
    PW-125-135yrds
    9i-- 145-155 yrds
    8i-- 165-175 yrds
    7i-- 175-180 yrds
    6i-- 180-190 yrds
    5i-- 190-215 yrds

I never hit my four iron or my 3i due to lack of comfort I guess. I really need a GW for those in between shots for the gap between my SW and PW yardages.

I also carry a Ram 5wood and Ram 3wood. I eventually would like to replace these as well but I rarely hit them so they are not a priority right now.

I also use a TM 580 Tour Stiff 8.5* driver. I generally fly the ball 260-270 yrds with a light fade. When I over hit it, the ball does a large slice.

I can afford a set of top of the line clubs but I'd like an upgrade. I have been looking here and on Ebay for a lightly used set. I have been looking at a set of Fat Shaft Wilsons as a mid level type club.

What do you guys think?

I play to a 10-12 handicap, breaking the 70's twice last year and averaging 86-87 when I made it out to the big courses last year.

Aaron

You hit your clubs that well and need advice on equipment???? Those are almost pro like distance and if your breaking 70's with a set of rams with reg graphite, my hat goes off to you. By those stats I would say you should be hitting a nice forged blade. Go to Golf Town and start smacking them. Titleist always have very nice traditional irons or Ben Hogans. There are some excellent componant clubs that guys like BC Mist or Andre Cantin could tell you more about. Ithink that you would be to advanced for the Wilson Fat shafts, maybe the Wilson Pro Staff?
    Denny

MattGrass
    The problem I have with the distances I hit is that I am beginning to have a hard time with pushing the ball right unless I really use a knock down, punch style swing. I think my swing speed is quite high but being in Cranbrook BC, no where close to a Golf Town or a simulator leaves me kind of guessing in the dark at times about equipment. I can feel that my game has moved beyond the equipment I am using but the selection around here is scarce and very expensive.

The next thing for me is probably much the same as you guys, working on hitting the ball into a scoring zone on the green with the short irons and the wedges. Last year, my last round of the year at a local course I made five birdies. (Almost got killed by my playing partner for it too )

But I am just as capable at times of chipping it 100 feet right/left and three putting an easy approach shot. I just want to slowly upgrade the clubs I have in my bag to something that compliments my swing and playing style.

Aaron

7 Iron HiG4s is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by MattGrass
    The problem I have with the distances I hit is that I am beginning to have a hard time with pushing the ball right unless I really use a knock down, punch style swing. I think my swing speed is quite high but being in Cranbrook BC, no where close to a Golf Town or a simulator leaves me kind of guessing in the dark at times about equipment. I can feel that my game has moved beyond the equipment I am using but the selection around here is scarce and very expensive.

The next thing for me is probably much the same as you guys, working on hitting the ball into a scoring zone on the green with the short irons and the wedges. Last year, my last round of the year at a local course I made five birdies. (Almost got killed by my playing partner for it too )

But I am just as capable at times of chipping it 100 feet right/left and three putting an easy approach shot. I just want to slowly upgrade the clubs I have in my bag to something that compliments my swing and playing style.

Aaron

Go some place that does custom fit Wishon or KZG,, let them analyze your swing and give you the sales pitch.. They will help you decide if you need forged, or cast, cavity back, progressive or blades.. Swing weight, loft, lie, length the whole works.. If the demo clubs don't feel any better than OEM stuff, use the knowledge you learned and go find OEMs you like..
    I started out looking at Nike pro-combo,, went to a custom shop and ended up with KZG forged Evolutions 2I to SW for $900. Not that much more than the NIKE (once you add the price of a 2I and SW to there standard 3I to PW set).. I am very happy with these clubs. It is now kind of depressing going to a golf shop,, every club I look at, all I can think is "I like mine better". But I think this pleases my wife.

Thread Information