CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    5 Wood Pine View is on a distinguished road Pine View's Avatar

Pine View Hole #1

Golfers have been complaining about the ditch on #1 for years but nothing was ever done about it. Work began today to fill in the ditch. We have added a large culvert and will backfill around the pipe and cover it with sod so the fairway is continuous.

Work should wrap up in a few days. In the meantime the hole is playing as a par 4.
    This is not the Pine View you remember from years gone by. Come back and see what we have done and what we have in store for the future - www.pineview.com

3 Wood boylebj is on a distinguished road boylebj's Avatar
    Just hit it over the ditch or lay up. It's just another hazard to get around.
    They shouldn't fill in the ditch. It adds to the course

If it was the 10th hole then yes, you could make that argument but as a 1st shot it slows down play.

Quote Originally Posted by boylebj View Post
    Just hit it over the ditch or lay up. It's just another hazard to get around.
    They shouldn't fill in the ditch. It adds to the course
    This is not the Pine View you remember from years gone by. Come back and see what we have done and what we have in store for the future - www.pineview.com

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    FINALLY---if that ditch was 40 yds farther of closer OK but for the first hole no way---it is narrow enough anyway to make it a tough hole.

Another good move
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Great news .

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    cool, I always lay back way too far because of the ditch. I just started taking another club off the tee, guess I don't have to worry about bobbling into it anymore.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Played golf a couple of weeks ago at the club with a gentleman who actually helped dig that ditch many years ago. He told me that after every rain, the pond on the left would constantly overflow and make the landing area there literally a swampy mess until it dried out. Course Marshall's (he was one of them) were tasked to dig the ditch...by hand .... in order to relieve the pressure on the pond by directing the overflow over to the gully on the other side of the fairway! I personally will miss the ditch as I liked the added challenge. However, fully understand the pace of play issue and support the change. Another positive 'tweak' to an already positive entity in the Ottawa golf scene!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    what is the yardage to fly the ditch and recommended lay up yardage ?

Yardage to ditch is approx 170 - 180 yards (I believe), but I always hit over the ditch. It's never been a concern for me.
    I can see some golfers having a problem if they don't have the distance (just lay up) or if the they have a slice or hook (just lay up). But, if you hit straight and hit further than 200 yards...you shouldn't have a problem.
    Even long distance hitters (240 +) with a fade or a draw would have no problem on the hole.
    I don't see what the big issue is about.
    I think it is fun to be challenged on the first hole...even though I never felt challenged by the ditch.

pkc
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine View View Post
    If it was the 10th hole then yes, you could make that argument but as a 1st shot it slows down play.
    It's fantastic that you guys are putting in a huge amount of effort to get the course in to top of the line shape, but pace of play is still a problem especially when you guys are trying to fit in as many tee times as possible and don't have any marshals out on the course making sure groups are moving at a good pace. Our twosome had to skip a hole to get clear of a 4 group logjam on the tees that started at #2.

The speed of play is an issue on this course. I recently played a round that took 3 1/2 hours to complete the front 9. I stopped at the 12th hole as it was taking about 20 minutes a hole....worst of any course I play in the area.

We are monitoring the pace of play on a daily basis and do what we can to keep things moving along. Most days the pace in not an issue at all. Sub 4 hour rounds happen here quite often. On slower days the marshalls do what they can but some groups play at different paces and no one ever admits to being the cause of a slowdown.

We have just ordered in a set of clocks that will be installed on #4, 7, 12, and 15 to help identify groups that are lagging behind.

We take this issue seriously and will work to maintain a fair and reasonable pace of play.

3 Wood Rocket Man is on a distinguished road Rocket Man's Avatar
    The ditch was never in play for me as it is not that far to clear it. It was the trees on the left and right that always got me! haha

We have installed a 24 inch pipe where the ditch once was. Any overflow from the pond should have ample opportunity to flow down the pipe before flooding the fairway.

Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    Played golf a couple of weeks ago at the club with a gentleman who actually helped dig that ditch many years ago. He told me that after every rain, the pond on the left would constantly overflow and make the landing area there literally a swampy mess until it dried out. Course Marshall's (he was one of them) were tasked to dig the ditch...by hand .... in order to relieve the pressure on the pond by directing the overflow over to the gully on the other side of the fairway! I personally will miss the ditch as I liked the added challenge. However, fully understand the pace of play issue and support the change. Another positive 'tweak' to an already positive entity in the Ottawa golf scene!

We have installed a 24 inch pipe where the ditch once was. Any overflow from the pond should have ample opportunity to flow down the pipe before flooding the fairway.
    A permanent solution to what was originally conceived as a temporary fix. Good stuff!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Gap Wedge justdoeit is on a distinguished road
    I liked the ditch... agree with the other guy that it's the trees on the right that cause me more problems haha

when tee times are 8 minutes apart, pace is always going to be affected on a busy day

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    We are monitoring the pace of play on a daily basis and do what we can to keep things moving along. Most days the pace in not an issue at all. Sub 4 hour rounds happen here quite often. On slower days the marshalls do what they can but some groups play at different paces and no one ever admits to being the cause of a slowdown.

We have just ordered in a set of clocks that will be installed on #4, 7, 12, and 15 to help identify groups that are lagging behind.

We take this issue seriously and will work to maintain a fair and reasonable pace of play.
    We have played the course a few times and never had any issues with pace of play. Mind you, we played in the morning in spring.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I have not been to Pineview this year so I can't say if they have pace of play issues... BUT I will say that any course with 8 minute tee time intervals will have issues. Just do the math...
    How long does it take for 4 guys on the 1st TEE to tee up, practice swing, line up, and hit the ball? 2 minutes? 3 minutes? And what if one ball is lost or OB? Then how long does it take to walk and find the balls? 2 minutes? 3 minutes? Ok, so now we have used up close to 6 minutes and players now have to hit their next shots AND get far enough away for the next group to hit... We are getting close to 10 minutes...

It's a very forgiving course that rewards with low scoring rounds.
    The fariways are wide and greens are pristine (with enough uneveness for challenge). Kudos to the new owners!!!!
    I can't see alot of time wasted looking for miss hit balls.
    Each hole should take no longer than 10-12 minutes to play (foursome).
    Slow play will discourage players from returning to course. I know it's a deterrent for me when determing which course I want to play.
    Beginning, developing or older players should consider using the Executive course so that Championship course can move along at a normal rate.
    Tee times should be spaced 10 minutes apart to enure bottlenecks don't occur.
    As a Marshall, it's very easy to determine which groups are slow by simply observing play and timing it. If it's taking longer than 10 minutes from Tee Box to completion of hole (not including wait time for next group) than the group should be advised of slow play and instructed accordingly.

Shagging Balls dmartin is on a distinguished road
    hold on there boylebj !!!

pace of play has nothing to do with gender, ability or age.

far more to do with green reading a la pro, playing the wrong blocks, pre shot routine stuff that Sergio would cringe at.

My favorite is the 190 yard, wanabe 300, who waits to hit second shots into par 5's when getting there in 3 is a challenge.

Just my 2 cents..

Gap Wedge justdoeit is on a distinguished road
    10 minute/hole pace equals 3 hour rounds

12-15 minute intervals is much more realistic for all. (4-4.5hr rounds)

LMAO....too funny, dmartin, but couldn't agree with you more! Followed one of those '190 yard, wanabe 300' on the course yesterday. He continually waited for the green to clear from 240 yds out. And he continually took 2-3 shots to cover the distance once the green cleared. If it wasn't so slow, it was actually quite amusing...LMAO

DMartin...I didn't mention gender.

However, new or developing players take longer because they tend to take more strokes, lose balls, etc.
    The majority of older players take longer for the same reason, as well as move slower if they're walking the course.
    I know the number of strokes can't be helped but the time wasted looking for balls can be improved. We all lose balls, but they're not gold (although the price is getting close) and should not be an expedition trip. Maximum one minute search time?

I mentioned pace of at between 10-12 minutes per hole which is a 3-3.5 hour (cart) round. Walking would be 12-15 minutes per hole
    Basically, what I experience at other courses.

Shagging Balls dmartin is on a distinguished road
    Just having a little fun with the heat

Teed off at 12:21 yesterday. Monday pm. for the last 17 years...
    2 still work 2 don't.

We do agree strongly that pace of play is costing clubs a ton of money
    and turning a lot of people off forever.

Still working.
    Envy the play...not the heat!!!

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I find 4 to 4.5 hours is a perfectly fine pace of play. I am not in a rush. I have said this a million times, unless a course posts a "Pace of play" policy or a "expected time of completion", then golfers have no right to complain.

Who are we to tell golfers they only have one minute to look for golf balls? Golf is so full of snobs!!!

If I pay my money, I have the right to play the entire course and if the course does not specify that I need to stay on pace at 15 minutes per hole, then I, or any other golfer has the right to take their time and enjoy their day.

All that being said, I love Stonebridge because they scared golfers away many years ago with their pace of play enforcement.

4-4.5 hours is a good pace if your walking.
    If your going to play the sport then you need to understand the rules and etiquette of the sport.
    It's not about being a snob. It's about consideration of players behind you.
    Your right regarding posted policies but there are implied policies and pace of play is one.
    It's all about consideration.
    Just as single players should be allowed jump ahead of larger groups because they are moving at a faster pace. It's not posted but it is an implied etiquette policy.
    Again, it's about consideration.

Might be time to get this thread back on topic since there is already a pace of play thread.

Pitching Wedge chucky is on a distinguished road chucky's Avatar
    So golfisforfun please don't tell me that your that guy that is 2 holes behind and holding up the three groups behind you. But no matter because your watch says your on time.Because they aslo paid their money. Please tell me your not that snob please tell me that you would let them enjoy their day and you would step aside and let them play through. Because the guy who thinks that because he has paid his money and owns the course for the day that is the guy who is ruining
    the great game of golf.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Like Pine View said, back on topic to the changes at hole #1. Thx
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thread Information