100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Golf Nut sabzor is on a distinguished road
    Back on track...

As someone who lives in the downtown core I'm often trying to squeeze rounds in after work when I can. This being the case, it's hard to get out somewhere to do so with rush hour traffic. This always makes Pineview a great option because it's quite close to town and is affordable in the twilight hours.

I've always considered it to be a 'better than nothing' option to playing given the time I have to get the round in. Not to discredit the course but there are more enjoyable tracks but they are a bit more of a drive away in most cases.

With that said, I have to commend the course who have clearly done an outstanding job over the last few years in trying to continually improve the track, the greens (which are often very nice), the cost, the pace of play, simulators for the winter, etc. For the rate that is charged to play this track it would be easy to simply run it like the Vieux Moulins and let it just fall apart throughout the year.

All this makes it enjoyable and of great value in my opinion.

The ditch itself was never a big concern for me (might as well not be there), however if golfers have been complaining it's nice to see them respond.

Keep it up guys, I'll keep coming back.

3 Wood boylebj is on a distinguished road boylebj's Avatar
    Agree.
    Ditch or no ditch...I like the course.
    It's well maintained and fun to play.
    Will be back!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I really need to get out there. I don't think I've played there in 5 years or so.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

3 Wood boylebj is on a distinguished road boylebj's Avatar
    Big Johnny 69....you should absolutely get out there!
    I just recently started going back there after 15 years.
    What a difference!
    Players need to rediscover Pineview!!!!!!!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    that ditch is over 200 yds from the middle of the tee box according to Google Earth. It's still a tough shot for an opening hole with trees right and left but it's now made a little easier.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boylebj View Post
    Big Johnny 69....you should absolutely get out there!
    I just recently started going back there after 15 years.
    What a difference!
    Players need to rediscover Pineview!!!!!!!
    Pineview is the course that has improved the most in the last few years IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Pineview is the course that has improved the most in the last few years IMO.
    So I've heard and read. I always liked the layout as its fun to be able to bomb driver all day.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Gap Wedge jleger is on a distinguished road jleger's Avatar
    I think its a great idea to fill that ditch in. Yes some players CAN carry easily, we get it, but a lot of golfers do not get to play daily, or even get to the course with time enough to warm up. These warriors warmups consist of paying, getting to the first tee, pulling driver, swinging a couple times and promptly shoving it into the trees or bobbling it off the tee or inevitably hitting one half decent that gets caught in that ditch. Sure there are tonnes of heavy hitters in this thread that think its ridiculous to fill it in, but I think its a great move and will definitely help with moral off the first tee. Pineview is a course for everyone and should not be penalizing players (especially on the first tee) who don't have the opportunity/time/money to get out multiple times a week. Great move in my opinion.

now if we could just get the starter to let people tee off on 10 when there's a backlog at 1 we'd really be getting something going

Bouche
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    that ditch is over 200 yds from the middle of the tee box according to Google Earth. It's still a tough shot for an opening hole with trees right and left but it's now made a little easier.
    It is a good 200 yard carry over the ditch. The real problem is how tight that area is. Even with the ditch filled in there is still trouble left and right at 200 yards. It will take a good shot off the tee to not be in trouble ditch or no ditch.

Most golfers put it in the bush right(hazard). To get past the tree line on the right its about 250 and then it opens up slightly. Anything longer then 220 left you will be in the tree line and will likely have to punch out to the 150.

5 Wood Pine View is on a distinguished road Pine View's Avatar
    There has always been trouble left and right on that hole and there always will be. Filling in the ditch will eliminate the need to worry about far your ball is going to roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    It is a good 200 yard carry over the ditch. The real problem is how tight that area is. Even with the ditch filled in there is still trouble left and right at 200 yards. It will take a good shot off the tee to not be in trouble ditch or no ditch.

Most golfers put it in the bush right(hazard). To get past the tree line on the right its about 250 and then it opens up slightly. Anything longer then 220 left you will be in the tree line and will likely have to punch out to the 150.
    This is not the Pine View you remember from years gone by. Come back and see what we have done and what we have in store for the future - www.pineview.com

2 Iron Guzman is on a distinguished road Guzman's Avatar
    You are missing out in one of the best news in Ottawa golf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    I really need to get out there. I don't think I've played there in 5 years or so.
    "Everyone is born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid" Ben Franklyn.

Bouche is a friend of mine. Will try to meet up with him for a round there before season's end.

Bouche
    Bouche is a friend of mine. Will try to meet up with him for a round there before season's end.
    Sounds good Geoff!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Great, two bombers playing together .LOL I am shure you guys will have fun.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post

I liked the ditch even though I can carry it, because it reminds why it is not necessary to play driver off the tee on a par 5 unless you can realistically reach the green in two. With the ditch it is a tough carry for the first tee with little to gain, but an easy lay-up with a 5-iron. With the ditch gone even more people will be tempted to try and bomb one, and they will still get into trouble.

Its an issue for me and a bigger issue for my wife. I am glad its being filled in. I think for the average player it will speed up play and i assume thats why they are doing this.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    will the hole be back to normal for the weekend?

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Sounds like a smart move by Pineview, and you will never please everyone, so just please the majority!

The fact is, there are several courses I have played where the 1st Hole design really doesn't make sense. I would think the best layout would be an average length par 4 with a fairly wide open tee shot to get the round started. No need for big water hazards (eQuinelle) or super short somewhat blind (Emerald Links east or Nation) or reachable Par 5s (Canadian) because holes like that just get things backed up right away.

Nothing wrong with a long par 5 to be honest, and it seems like Pineview will have this.

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Sounds like a smart move by Pineview, and you will never please everyone, so just please the majority!

The fact is, there are several courses I have played where the 1st Hole design really doesn't make sense. I would think the best layout would be an average length par 4 with a fairly wide open tee shot to get the round started. No need for big water hazards (eQuinelle) or super short somewhat blind (Emerald Links east or Nation) or reachable Par 5s (Canadian) because holes like that just get things backed up right away.

Nothing wrong with a long par 5 to be honest, and it seems like Pineview will have this.
    How about Loch March? If I'm not mistaken the first hole is the #1 handicap hole.....

The tees will be moved back by the weekend but the area affected will be "ground under repair".

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post
    will the hole be back to normal for the weekend?
    This is not the Pine View you remember from years gone by. Come back and see what we have done and what we have in store for the future - www.pineview.com

6 Iron EagleEagle is on a distinguished road
    I find it a tough starting hole and I am glad they are filling in the ditch.The warm up nets help ,but without a driving range it plays a lot harder than it should.you almost need to carry 250 to clear the trees on the right it you slice it off your first drive,and if you pull it ,your in the pond.I never use a good ball off the first tee.

9 Iron rajah is on a distinguished road
    I take a 5 Iron and then a 3 Wood and a 9 iron does it for me. Works like magic thus making the ditch irrelevant.. Basic ego control and golf management 101.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    I take a 5 Iron and then a 3 Wood and a 9 iron does it for me. Works like magic thus making the ditch irrelevant.. Basic ego control and golf management 101.
    that's pretty much my play as well
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Mine too. Not sure it's going to change that much unless they tear down the woods and fill in the pond....
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Ever thought of switching 1 and 10 around? Kingsway did that a couple years ago and pace of play was improved. Last year for some reason your management had us start on 10( in October sometime) It made it a lot easier.

Cheers and keep up the good work
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Ever thought of switching 1 and 10 around? Kingsway did that a couple years ago and pace of play was improved. Last year for some reason your management had us start on 10( in October sometime) It made it a lot easier.

Good point Chief.

The current 10th hole was originally designed as the 1st. The change was made when the Executive Course was built and the new proshop was added to be able to see the 1st tee on both courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road
    I think this is a good move by Pine view. These days I play the hole like rajah plays it and it works for me. Having played this course so many times over the years as a single or twosome and being matched up with different people that first hole was extremely difficult drive for most people. On this forum we probably have lots of people with low caps but that is not the average golfer.

Thread Information