CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    3 Iron spuds is on a distinguished road spuds's Avatar

News on Outouais

Played Meadows today,lovely condition.Afterwards I got talking to a member at the 19th hole and was told that Outouais was bankrupt or on the verge with one 9 hole closing down shortly,anyone else hear this?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Played Meadows today,lovely condition.Afterwards I got talking to a member at the 19th hole and was told that Outouais was bankrupt or on the verge with one 9 hole closing down shortly,anyone else hear this?
    According to a discussion between Flagstick and the Outaouais GM, the course is open and operating as normal, contrary to the rumours.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    That would be sad. Very nice course...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road

Outaouais Closing?

Heard from a member that the course is in serious trouble and likely closing...

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Heard from a member that the course is in serious trouble and likely closing...
    That would be tragic , one of the best courses in the region , hope they get it sorted out
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Played Outaouais for the first time this year--not the course it was. IMHO it shows the most lack of maintenance of any course I have played this year. According to a couple of people there they are thinking of selling one of the nines for housing development to raise monies......................and it looks like it may be the west course because it is closest to municipal infrastructure. This will be a real hit to the east end courses.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road
    Just wanted to ad that I played Outaouais 2 weeks ago and the course was in good shape except for number one green on the South. Maybe conditions have gotten worse over last 2 weeks but when I played it it was in good shape.

I think you misunderstood B---the course is still a great course---all I am saying is that there is HUGE difference in general maintenance---untrimmed bunkers---rough really really thick--it is really the overall look of the property that hits you right away. We played S/W--not sure what the east is like

It will be a real shame if it does not survive. Personally I think the problem may be is that there are no longer enough members to maintain the quality. 350 or so---down from a high of 700 plus. The club has always been (in my mind) a bit of "upper crust" and I have been told that "you are only a green fee player" ! They have dropped their rates considerably---maybe if they had done it sooner this problem may have been avoided.

It may be a tougher road for everyone next year.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I hope it comes out ok, I also felt the attitude you mentioned but that is a culture that can be changed with the right management. If they want to turn it around they need to start at the top, get a really good marketing/golf person and really go after membership. I think the Meadows had the right idea with an unlimited play option for under $800. If you provide more options for people to come and play they will come but cutting corners on the course end is not the way. Offer back end memberships where people pay a little less now and a little more later, once the the finances get better down the road, such memberships can be re-evaluated.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

9 Iron rajah is on a distinguished road
    The Millennials are just not interested in the game for a variety of reason from cost, time and golf not being an all inclusive game. The recession and the fall of the middle class in the U.S,end of Tiger's era has also hampered the growth. Expect more pain in Ottawa and region for the next decade!

At Meadows the unlimited play might be fine if you can get a tee time with the all the tournaments there. Some of my friends took the special and are not happy!
    Last edited by rajah; 08-05-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I also hope they survive but things are tough out there. Selling some land and going back to having 18 holes would be the way to do it.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    The Millennials are just not interested in the game for a variety of reason from cost, time and golf not being an all inclusive game. The recession and the fall of the middle in the U.S,end of Tiger's era has also hampered the growth. Expect more pain in Ottawa and region for the next decade!

At Meadows the unlimited play might be fine if you can get a tee time with the all the tournaments there. Some of my friends took the special and are not happy!
    I've played most of my games at the Meadows and haven't had an issue ever of getting a tee time , the course is real busy and thriving because of it .
    Not sure where your getting your 10 year plan facts from , golf in Ottawa will be just fine

Ottawa might be fine.. . According to National golf foundation Only 14 new courses were built in the U.S. last year, while almost 160 shut down. Last year marked the eighth straight year that more courses closed than opened. 400,000 players left the sport last year, While almost 260,000 women took up golf, some 650,000 men quit. The biggest decline was in the under 35 age group where 200,00 game the last year. Expect the trend to continue for a while...

Lob Wedge tenskibik is on a distinguished road
    played Outouais today, I play as there regularly as a green fee person with a discount golf membership. I have to say I have never had a single complaint about this track. Sure the bunkers are not the greatest and the edges of the course can be a bit rough, but I am willing to put up with those issues given the amount it costs to play. It would really be a shame if this place faced closure. I love the Franco-Ontario vibe to the course. I have played entire rounds speaking only French. Not only would we loose a great course but also friendships that cross linguistic lines.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Ottawa might be fine.. . According to National golf foundation Only 14 new courses were built in the U.S. last year, while almost 160 shut down. Last year marked the eighth straight year that more courses closed than opened. 400,000 players left the sport last year, While almost 260,000 women took up golf, some 650,000 men quit. The biggest decline was in the under 35 age group where 200,00 game the last year. Expect the trend to continue for a while...
    That report was a great read. Interesting that many new courses in the design phase are 12 hole courses...again, an attempt to address the time and money issues associated with today's young adults. The times they are a'changin'!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Golf in the Ottawa area is not fine. The courses simply aren't making as much money. In fact, I understand that many courses reported losses last season. As a result, course conditions have suffered. Although some properties have attempted to resolve the issue of empty tee sheets by offering discounted rates, the fact is golf is not growing within the key demographic. I firmly believe that we see capitulation in the near future.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Arnprior was in financial trouble last year. Les Vieux Moulins is closing. Now Outaouais. It does make you wonder. There were a lot of courses built in the past 20 years during the economic boom. Perhaps there are too many.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Arnprior was in financial trouble last year. Les Vieux Moulins is closing. Now Outaouais. It does make you wonder. There were a lot of courses built in the past 20 years during the economic boom. Perhaps there are too many.
    I'd agree with that for sure , Ottawa has a lot of mid level courses , perhaps too many.
    Poor management will run any business into the ground , if that's the case with Outaouis then that's sad to hear , the courses I've played this year are as busy as all previous years I've played , I haven't seen the decline like others have said.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    I'd agree with that for sure , Ottawa has a lot of mid level courses , perhaps too many.
    My vote is on this. Back when there weren't as many good courses near central Ottawa courses like Outaouais and Arnprior would get a lot of commuter golfers.

But in the last 15-20 years or so the following courses have opened (I will probably miss some): Stonebridge, Equinelle, Anderson Links, expansion of Emerald Links, Marshes, Greensmere, Le Sorcier.

All of those are closer and arguably as good or better than a lot of the remote courses. If time is a pressure, why would I drive the extra distance?
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I thnk a lot of courses did not treat golfers very well, I can name a lot that make it seem like its a privilige to play there and for you to give them your money. Courses need to re-think their approach to we golfers and never forget that without us they have no business.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    My vote is on this. Back when there weren't as many good courses near central Ottawa courses like Outaouais and Arnprior would get a lot of commuter golfers.

But in the last 15-20 years or so the following courses have opened (I will probably miss some): Stonebridge, Equinelle, Anderson Links, expansion of Emerald Links, Marshes, Greensmere, Le Sorcier.

All of those are closer and arguably as good or better than a lot of the remote courses. If time is a pressure, why would I drive the extra distance?
    Add Vieux Moulins, Falcon Ridge and maybe even Loch March though i think it is just over 20 years.

I have to agree with Lefty----the day of the private course is slowly coming to an end. Maybe there will still be the Royal and the Hunt but the the majority of golfers are still green fee players. I love playing courses all over---you meet all kinds of good folks and the variety is great. It may be a drive to go to Whitetail or Cobden and the like but there is a BIG difference in the atmosphere. I am not saying all Ottawa courses are bad but I definitely think we will see the cream rise in the next couple of years.

We are very fortunate to have as many decent courses that we do have and the ones that know good business will be the ones to survive.

it would be good to hear from someone from the course to settle this down, nothing worse than a post like this stirring the pot
    Lefty Lucas

Shagging Balls dmartin is on a distinguished road
    Outouais ... played once this year... we were not supposed to be stuck on "new" 9... horrific walk,
    A last minute tournament backed up starting times for an hour.

My wallet saw nothing in their experience that is worth repeating. and I won't.

We are fortunate to have so many reasonable alternatives in this area.

If you are semi public, seems that reliance on greens fee players is an integral part of your operation.
    I've heard too many members bitc*ing about the corporate clubs playing "their" course for so little.
    So what !!
    Last edited by Kilroy; 08-06-2015 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmartin View Post
    Outouais ... played once this year... we were not supposed to be stuck on "new" 9... horrific walk,
    A last minute tournament backed up starting times for an hour.

My wallet saw nothing in their experience that is worth repeating. and I won't.

We are fortunate to have so many reasonable alternatives in this area.

If you are semi public, seems that reliance on greens fee players is an integral part of your operation.
    I've heard too many members bitc*ing about the corporate clubs playing "their" course for so little.
    So what !!
    I've always had great experiences there. The new 9 isn't any more difficult a walk as the other 9's. In terms of value of $ it's always been an excellent option.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 08-06-2015 at 11:11 AM.

Hopefully they do not throw good money after bad. The land prices even that far in Rockland are very good. The owner just might walk away sell it to a developer...

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    I also hope they survive but things are tough out there. Selling some land and going back to having 18 holes would be the way to do it.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I must say that having played Outaouais a lot that i never fell at home there. I have had a few members look down at us and when they used to announce us on the tee they would not even use our name but Golfxtra as next on the block. That was kind of 'snooty' to me. I dont think they do that anymore but it was insulting.

Marcos, 100% correct. I was there and they asked me to tuck my golf shirt in. The marshall was very arrogant and full of it. Even the club house you could smell the affluence in the air. The whole place was like a click of friends.. I was not impressed and never went back.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    I must say that having played Outaouais a lot that i never fell at home there. I have had a few members look down at us and when they used to announce us on the tee they would not even use our name but Golfxtra as next on the block. That was kind of 'snooty' to me. I dont think they do that anymore but it was insulting.

Yes Rajah, my son was asked to tuck his shirt in also. They need to stay in tune with the young crowd after all that is the future.

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    I know a few people who don't like Outaouais because of similar problems. I don't play there so I don't know first hand. Hopefully they turn it around if these rumors are true.

Thread Information