CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wild Parsley

Sand Wedge Martin B is on a distinguished road

Wild Parsley

Wild parsley is spreading. Even if a groundskeeper dresses in a hazmat suit and cuts it down, the broken stems are dangerous.

There are two areas of it currently on my course. One is OB, so the ball is simlpy a write-off. The other is internal. It's in an area that normally has thick brush (where you might find your ball, but not likely).

The simple solution is to consider the ball a lost ball. But I was wondering if any other possibilities were being considered - e.g. one stroke penalty and drop from point of entry (ie treat it as a lateral, even though it's dry)

5 Iron adanac is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin B View Post
    Wild parsley is spreading. Even if a groundskeeper dresses in a hazmat suit and cuts it down, the broken stems are dangerous.

There are two areas of it currently on my course. One is OB, so the ball is simlpy a write-off. The other is internal. It's in an area that normally has thick brush (where you might find your ball, but not likely).

The simple solution is to consider the ball a lost ball. But I was wondering if any other possibilities were being considered - e.g. one stroke penalty and drop from point of entry (ie treat it as a lateral, even though it's dry)
    The area must meet the definition of a water hazard to be considered as such. Note that the Rules state that "a lateral water hazard is a water hazard", so it must first meet that definition.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    33-8/35 Local Rule Treating Rough as a Lateral Water Hazard
    Q.The areas immediately adjacent to the fairways consist of large embedded boulders, thick desert brush and ly cactus. A player whose ball comes to rest in such areas has no opportunity to play a stroke. Would it be proper to make a Local Rule under which such areas would be treated as lateral water hazards?

A.No. There are many courses where the areas adjacent to the fairways are of such a nature that a ball therein is almost always lost or unplayable. Thus, such a situation is not abnormal.

Point well taken about it not qualifying as a lateral. However, I was wondering if some allowances could be made because of the health hazard, which effective prevents you from even looking for your ball.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    1-4/11 Meaning of "Dangerous Situation"
    Q.According to Decision 1-4/10, a ball lying near a live rattlesnake or a bees' nest is a "dangerous situation" and relief should be granted in equity.

If a player's ball comes to rest in or near an area of plants such as poison ivy, cacti or stinging nettles, should the provisions of Decision 1-4/10 apply?

A.No. The player must either play the ball as it lies or, if applicable, proceed under Rule 26 (Water Hazards) or Rule 28 (Ball Unplayable).

Decision 1-4/10 contemplates a situation which is unrelated to conditions normally encountered on the course. Unpleasant lies are a common occurrence which players must accept.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Wild parsnip is everywhere along the 416 highway.
    Last edited by 1800Duffers; 07-21-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Guys - I have to tell you that I am a little bit clueless here. What exactly is wild parsley and why are we concerned with it as golfers? I look it up on the web and it keeps kicking me back to 'wild parsnip'.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Seasoned Veteran donquijote is on a distinguished road donquijote's Avatar

Much appreciated...am I therefore to understand that 'wild parsely' and 'wild parsnip' are the same thing with the same concern?
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Seasoned Veteran donquijote is on a distinguished road donquijote's Avatar
    Yes same thing
    After I read about it i see it in a lot of places
    Side of the highway and near where I work (carp Rd)
    Nasty weed

Oops!

My bad. I did type "parsley". Of course it is wild parsnips.

Tx for the info ... Will have to keep an eye out to try to recognize it.

Thread Information