CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    1 Iron golfmajic is on a distinguished road

Cool Sun Mountain Wheel Bearing

I had a Wheel Bearing fall apart on my Sun Mountain Speed Cart. The offered solution was a complete new wheel that was not in stock.
    I decided to attempt my own repair. I was able to remove the old broken pressed in bearing without doing further damage to the wheel.
    I took the wheel, old bearing and axle over to Wyjax Industrial Supply on Belfast Road.
    They supplied a new bearing (part number 6301 2RSC3) for $6:50.
    Turned out to be an easy Re-install, problem fixed, it all worked out well.

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road
    Very interesting. I salvaged 2 wheels from my original speed cart (inflatable tires). The bearings on the wheels on my newer speed cart (solid tires) fell apart within one year of use. I removed the solid tires after heating the wheels in the oven at 180 for 5 to 10 minutes and put them on the rims of the inflatable tire wheels. I might follow your lead to repair the bearings on my wife's speed cart. The bearings are shot on her cart also, but I don't know if it's worth it, because I've had to change a half dozen spokes. I might just order two new wheels or get a 3.5+ Clicgear cart. The original Sun Mountain Speed Cart was a great product, but the quality drops with every new model.
    He who hits last, walks alone

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Golfmajic.....I also have a wheel bearing issue as mine fell apart....I bought new bearings at GBS on Kent Street, but I cannot remove the outer bearing ring which is wedged in very tight. How did you remove the outer ring without ruining the hub? Did you do it or did Wyjax Industrial Supply?

Tried every tool I had but no luck...any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Iron golfmajic is on a distinguished road

Bearing Removal

The bearing removal was a bit of a 10 minute struggle.
    I heated the area around the bearing with a torch trying not to heat the remainder of the bearing. I then used a large screw driver and pried the bearing race from the bottom up moving around the race a bit at a time.
    Once the race started to come upward I had to place another large screw driver across the tire to use as a pry point.
    Hope that helps, no special tools used.
    To install the new bearing I firmly hit a large socket that fit the top edge of the bearing.
    Used the cart today and it worked like new.

Thanks ..I will give it a try.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I agree that quality seems to be dropping. I take really good care of my stuff and just the other week when I was trying to lock down my front wheel, the plastic clamp snapped on me. It was very frustrating.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    WOW---bearings wearing out on golf carts----must have lots of miles on those suckers Did you check the wheel alignment ??? Seriously---I had a problem with a cart---the stretcher between the wheels had stretched and the wheels were running on a severe angle and wore out one bearing on each wheel.

All bearings have an id number and can be replaced at GBS---even ones that are over 100 years old !!!!!
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

8 Iron wells is on a distinguished road
    I have a brand new wheel available if anyone wants to buy it. $20.00

This was only the 3rd season I used it. Maybe a total of 100 rounds on it. the bearings should not have gone bad that quick.

5 Iron adanac is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by KOKO72 View Post
    This was only the 3rd season I used it. Maybe a total of 100 rounds on it. the bearings should not have gone bad that quick.
    Did you lubricate them each spring before use? A little maintenance goes a long way.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Maybe I'm lucky, I have an old sun mountain 3 wheel cart that I bought used on this forum at least 5 years ago. It gets a lot of use, many shoves down many hills, many crashes, many rounds in the rain, even some in the snow, and it works the same as it did the day I got it. I adjusted the alignment once, and I put a crazy amount of psi in the tires in the spring. I've been thinking about upgrading to an electric cart (my buddy has a bat caddy) but I just can't justify the expense because my old sun mountain does everything I need it to do with ease.
    Andrew

Every season....cleaned and lubricated prior to storage and a quick touch up prior the beginning of the season. My wife says if I only paid as much attention to stuff around the house as I do with the golf equipment.........well I am sure we have all heard the same thing.

Thread Information