CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge Martin B is on a distinguished road

Grounding Club in Hazard

I find it much easier, and enjoyable, to follow rules if I can understand the rationale for the rule. One that I don't understand is the prohibition of grounding your club in a hazard.

It wasn't always that way. The 1829 rules of the Society of Saint Andrews Golfers simply said "no obstruction bent down or leveled with the club." That would leave considerable scope for grounding.

Later rules changed to "no impression made by the club". Even that would allow lightly placing the club on the ground. It wasn't until 1891 that the rules completely prohibited grounding the club.

Of course you can say it's fair because it appllies to everone equally, or that "Those are the rules", but can anyone explain why the rule aids in following the spirit of the game?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    In a bunker it can definitely give you an idea of what the sand is like under the top layer that you can see - yes your feet can do that but not quite as well. You could also create a nice depression behind your ball as well. It would also allow you to take practice swings in the bunker and again get the feel. I am sure there are a bunch of others but those come to mind.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

5 Iron adanac is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin B View Post
    I find it much easier, and enjoyable, to follow rules if I can understand the rationale for the rule. One that I don't understand is the prohibition of grounding your club in a hazard.

It wasn't always that way. The 1829 rules of the Society of Saint Andrews Golfers simply said "no obstruction bent down or leveled with the club." That would leave considerable scope for grounding.

Later rules changed to "no impression made by the club". Even that would allow lightly placing the club on the ground. It wasn't until 1891 that the rules completely prohibited grounding the club.

Of course you can say it's fair because it appllies to everone equally, or that "Those are the rules", but can anyone explain why the rule aids in following the spirit of the game?
    The spirit of the game requires abiding by the Rules of the game. (see Etiquette section). The Rules are what the Rules are. For understanding the principles, see Tuft's "The Principles of the Rules of Golf."

Thread Information