CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Back Spin

3 Wood boylebj is on a distinguished road boylebj's Avatar

Back Spin

Further to my Store Simulator thread, I believe my high back spin is causing distance loss.

Here are my stats...

Age 57
    Experience - Occasional Golfer (10-15 games a year)

Swing Speed 90-100 mph
    Launch 15-17*
    Smash 130
    Back Spin 4000-6000 rpm
    Carry 185-200
    Total Distance 190-220

I believe I should be able to achieve 230-250 Total Distance based on Swing Speed (is this realistic?)

I currently use a RBZ Stage 2 13* Driver with Senior Flex.
    I purchased a Senior style Club believing I had a 75-85 mph swing.
    I've tried setting loft anywhere from 11.5 to 14*.
    The higher I set it the less distance I get.
    I've had a 9.5* RBZ with Stiff Flex and achieved stats similar to above or a little less.
    I've used various Balls as I don't really notice a difference between a low compression ball (Wilso Duo, Noodle) or a regular ball (Titlest, etc)
    I've tried changing my swing plane.
    I've changed my grip
    I've tried hitting up on ball (results are a balloon ball)
    However, I just keep gettig the same results

I've tried the new TM R15, SLDR, SLDR S and Ping G30 LS TEC clubs believing that their low spin tech would help me.
    Not really!

Any suggestions?

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    Go and grab the most recent edition of Flagstick magazine. There is a very well researched and informative article in there on driver fitting.

You will find a lot of information on the questions that you have and it gives some excellent advice in what to look for when you are being "properly" fitted for your driver.

Without seeing you swing, I would have someone take a look at your attack angle as you may be hitting down on the ball with your driver rather than hitting it on the upswing. If that is the case, then get that little kink worked out first and then start looking at ways to optimize your spin rate.

Good luck.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Your smash factor appears to be very low for a driver. It may be caused by off center hits or possibly other variables. By increasing your smash factor (up to 1.5) you could increase your ball speed by 20% without swinging any faster.

I don't know if this is cause or effect of something else though. I'd suggest going to speak to a pro that uses a launch monitor for analysis.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by boylebj View Post
    Further to my Store Simulator thread, I believe my high back spin is causing distance loss.

Here are my stats...

Age 57
    Experience - Occasional Golfer (10-15 games a year)

Swing Speed 90-100 mph
    Launch 15-17*
    Smash 130
    Back Spin 4000-6000 rpm
    Carry 185-200
    Total Distance 190-220

I believe I should be able to achieve 230-250 Total Distance based on Swing Speed (is this realistic?)

I currently use a RBZ Stage 2 13* Driver with Senior Flex.
    I purchased a Senior style Club believing I had a 75-85 mph swing.
    I've tried setting loft anywhere from 11.5 to 14*.
    The higher I set it the less distance I get.
    I've had a 9.5* RBZ with Stiff Flex and achieved stats similar to above or a little less.
    I've used various Balls as I don't really notice a difference between a low compression ball (Wilso Duo, Noodle) or a regular ball (Titlest, etc)
    I've tried changing my swing plane.
    I've changed my grip
    I've tried hitting up on ball (results are a balloon ball)
    However, I just keep gettig the same results

I've tried the new TM R15, SLDR, SLDR S and Ping G30 LS TEC clubs believing that their low spin tech would help me.
    Not really!

Any suggestions?
    Hard to believe that with all this wonderful new can't miss guaranteed an extra 30 yards technology that none of the $500 wonder sticks could not deliver what they claim.

You need to seriously ask yourself "should I fix my obvious swing flaws " or " should I go with my current swing and let a highly qualified clubfitter/clubmaker make me a driver that will render the most possible yardage " or do both.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    There you go boylebj, I have a very similar SS and I am the same age as you are. I had a trackman session and managed to get a smash factor of 1.5 consistently with spin rates in the 2500-3200 range. I could not have done so without a proper fitting and Les is just the guy to do it, I did both to get to where I am. BTW, with a SS of 90mph and ideal swing (path-face angle, angle of descent...) you will max out at 256 yds.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    There you go boylebj, I have a very similar SS and I am the same age as you are. I had a trackman session and managed to get a smash factor of 1.5 consistently with spin rates in the 2500-3200 range. I could not have done so without a proper fitting and Les is just the guy to do it, I did both to get to where I am. BTW, with a SS of 90mph and ideal swing (path-face angle, angle of descent...) you will max out at 256 yds.
    Where did you go to get the Trackman session?
    Who is Les?
    Did you already have a good swing? Did you take any lessons?
    What Driver did you end up getting?

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    Hard to believe that with all this wonderful new can't miss guaranteed an extra 30 yards technology that none of the $500 wonder sticks could not deliver what they claim.

You need to seriously ask yourself "should I fix my obvious swing flaws " or " should I go with my current swing and let a highly qualified clubfitter/clubmaker make me a driver that will render the most possible yardage " or do both.
    I know I have a swing flaw but I'm not sure which instructor to see.
    I went to GolfTec for a swing anaylsis (7 iron used) and wasn't impressed with the experience. Even when corrected, it didn't seem to make a difference.
    Had a free lesson at Meadows....again, didn't like the experience with the instuctor.
    Who's a really good instructor?
    Once that's done...I guess I should get fitted.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Les is downhillslider, I had the session at Rideauview, Les fit my clubs, my swing like everyones is up and down, I ended up with the specs that Les recommended for me. I think getting fitted may be the first thing, Les can see you swing and go from there.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information