CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    8 Iron zee51 is on a distinguished road

Hydro Tower- Immovable obtruction

Question for you rule gurus.

So we all know the local rules regarding hitting a wire or tower and that is to replay the ball and there is no choice in doing so. We also know that if the tower interferes with the players stance or swing, that they get relief.

My question relates to those cases where one of the tower legs is directly between the ball and the hole where it is virtually certain that the tower will be hit but not so close that it can be said to interfere with the swing or stance.

It seems to me that there is not rule that would allow relief but I am wondering if a local rule can be made in situations where there is a safety issue?

While I do understand that there is no relief from an immovable obstruction, it seems to me that there might be an exception due to safety issues and particularly when the course itself has no control over the location of said tower. And note that this is not the same as having a tree in the way because you cannot reload for a hit tree.

Also, why is relief allowed for temporary immovable obstructions only when it seems to me that a player getting line of sight relief from say a light standard or something similar is not totally dissimilar to a hydro tower?

Thanks.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Temporary Immovable Obstructions are by definition temporary and special relief is give because they are not normally on the course.
    Incidentally, compulsory play again for hitting a tower (supporting a cable) is not always so. It is an optional clause in Local Rule used if the tower interferes with play.

However, there isn't a special safety issue. Much like a tree or a wall, the player can and should play to avoid it.

Thread Information