+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cold"pops"

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar

cold"pops"

What are some of your thoughts about having a couple of beers in your bags?
    Im not talking about a case or getting stupid,but simply "a couple"
    I sometimes see others hiding beers from groundscrew as if they are breaking some sort of rule?
    Is there a no booze policy at courses(except from the beverage cart)?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    Is there a no booze policy at courses(except from the beverage cart)?
    I believe EVERY course has this rule.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Most courses only allow booze purchased from them on the course.

Mostly this is so that they get the $$$, but I'm guessing there is also a liability / LCBO license issue.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    It is a liquor liscencing issue.

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    It's a liquor license issue, AND a bottle issue. The fact is, MOST people don't care if it's not their property... Especially when booze is involved. Broken Glass is not only dangerous, but brutal to clean up. The smart golf course owners, only serve cans, or plastic cups.

You should have seem some of the things people would do to smuggle their own booze onto the course. It's ridiculous....

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    I believe the liquor license fines acan range from $500 to $50,000 per bottle offense.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adska
    You should have seem some of the things people would do to smuggle their own booze onto the course. It's ridiculous....
    What some people will do to save a few bucks...it's ridiculous.

Besides, wouldn't you rather buy it from the Cart Girl? Any excuse to keep her coming around.

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    I don't think its ridiculous. At $5.00 a beer from the cart girl or $1.00 at the beer store. I'll usually buy one from the cart girl and reuse the cup. I personally like to save money whenever I can!

6 Iron Moose Head is on a distinguished road Moose Head's Avatar
    I too like to bring a six pack once in a while. The money saved is always spent in some golf related way. Also, since some courses have replaced the cute cart girls with teenage boys isn't as fun.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose Head
    I too like to bring a six pack once in a while. The money saved is always spent in some golf related way. Also, since some courses have replaced the cute cart girls with teenage boys isn't as fun.
    There's a Michael Jackson joke in there somewhere...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    It is a liquor liscencing issue.
    The Quebec and Ontario Liquor Boards have a similar rule. If the club has a licence nobody is allowed to bring beer or liquor on the premises. First offence is a steep penalty, second offence is liquor licence revoked. So do not be surprized if you get kicked out of a golf course for hiding beer in your bag.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 3295
    The Quebec and Ontario Liquor Boards have a similar rule. If the club has a licence nobody is allowed to bring beer or liquor on the premises. First offence is a steep penalty, second offence is liquor licence revoked. So do not be surprized if you get kicked out of a golf course for hiding beer in your bag.
    Yes, but looking back I don't remember a work-related golf outing where someone DIDNT bring beer...I even remember coolers way back when...

Andru
    I dont' have a problem with it. Just don't bring bottles. bring cans and put them in the garbage. if you don't want anyone to see them in the garbage, bring a bag and put them in the bag before it goes in the garbage. I despise seeing beer bottles/cans in the bushes of a golf course.

Other than that. Replace your divots, Fix your ball marks, Rake the bunkers, Drink your beer, smoke your rockets and enjoy the round.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Amen. I like to support the beer girl to a point. Its not bad spending $5 or $10 on a beer or two, but what if you require more? It does get costly for, um, say 10. But hey, I've got bigger problems if I need ten beers to play golf, right?

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    But hey, I've got bigger problems if I need ten beers to play golf, right?
    The only problem I see is that you're getting near the end of your 12 Pack and that means only one thing... You should have brought a 24.

But yeah, he's right. I support the course to a point, but there is a problem with bar carts. They just arent around often enough. And on those holes where they aren't around, its nice to have a couple emergency wobbley pops around to quench your thirst.

6 Iron Keithsguy is on a distinguished road Keithsguy's Avatar

Agreed.

This is my view on it. Take some backups, support the beer girl and course a few times, don't litter and pick up after the b**s that do.

What would happen if someone brought a six pack to a nightclub and then bought just a token drink to "support the bar"? Does that sound like an exageration? If so, what's the difference? Is it the fact that beer fits in a golf bag? Is it poor cart service that makes people feel justified?

I know it can add up if you like your beer, but it is not a money grab, it's the law. I am sure they like it that way because it helps make them money, but it is the law and they are obliged to enforce it when they see an infraction. You would not want to be the reason a course had their liquor liscense suspended.

Ty Webb
    Personally, I don't drink alcohol while playing. My swing is bad enough. I do, however, enjoy a few cold ones at the clubhouse thereafter.

7 Iron PinHigh is on a distinguished road PinHigh's Avatar

No regrets

You can not compare brining in a six pack to a bar with brining it on a course. Last time I checked the bar wasn't charging $40 - $60 to walk around the dance floor. You can't feel bad for the cute looking cart tart, last time I checked most teenage boys who work at the course are shovelling sod - not sitting in a cart - flirting for tips (at least I hope not)

Pin high.
    "Well, I got a lot of stuff on order. You know... credit trouble"

6 Iron Keithsguy is on a distinguished road Keithsguy's Avatar

Service.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    What would happen if someone brought a six pack to a nightclub and then bought just a token drink to "support the bar"? Does that sound like an exageration? If so, what's the difference? Is it the fact that beer fits in a golf bag? Is it poor cart service that makes people feel justified?
    Yes, if the cart is around enough then I probably wouldn't have added weight in the bag. Some clubs are inconsistent on hours and what conditions they have the carts out. If the course is quiet and it is in the evening it is not economical for them to have the cart out there.

I mentioned the cart service as a factor because it is one. I know the realities of the situation. I'm just pointing out that it's not a money issue it's a law. Most courses have no problem if you bring sandwiches and non-alcoholic beverages, even though they sell that too.

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by PinHigh
    You can not compare brining in a six pack to a bar with brining it on a course. Last time I checked the bar wasn't charging $40 - $60 to walk around the dance floor. You can't feel bad for the cute looking cart tart, last time I checked most teenage boys who work at the course are shovelling sod - not sitting in a cart - flirting for tips (at least I hope not)

Pin high.
    I can't believe you're trying to justify breaking the law. You're not paying to drink beer, you're paying for golf.

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PinHigh
    Last time I checked the bar wasn't charging $40 - $60 to walk around the dance floor.
    Pin high.

That makes absolutely no sense. Let's say both the bar and the golf course allowed you to bring your own beer... or just as well, neither allowed you to drink/buy beer. Would you pay $40-60 to go to the bar?... would you expect to play the golf course for free?

The good/service you are buying is the round of golf, not the privelage to drink beer. Do you equate playing a round of golf to standing in a bar? Do you think green-fee is simply a cover-charge?

7 Iron PinHigh is on a distinguished road PinHigh's Avatar

pay attention

Dan Kilbank wrote:"What would happen if someone brought a six pack to a nightclub and then bought just a token drink to "support the bar"?

My post was in reply to the above. You obviously missed the point. bars are in the beer selling business. Golf courses are in the tee time selling business. I see a difference between sneaking beers onto a course - while paying the green fee; as opposed to sneaking myself onto a course to play golf without paying a green fee. If the course is really in the business of selling beer, then the green fee would just be the equivilant of a cover charge. I pay my green fee and like someone who brings a bag of peanuts into the movies, I bring my own beer, thank you very much.

And breaking the Law??? give me a break, your naive. Its not an indictable offense we are talking about here. Its simply about a couple of "cold pops"

Pinhigh
    "Well, I got a lot of stuff on order. You know... credit trouble"

A healthy part of a golf course's business is food and bar.

And breaking the Law??? give me a break, your naive. Its not an indictable offense we are talking about here. Its simply about a couple of "cold pops"
    There are many levels of lawbreaking. Some are certainly more serious than others. I agree this is a very small issue in the scale of things. If you get kicked off a course for bringing your own, I hope you'd accept the "penalty" with grace.
    I threw out the idea of bringing a six pack to a bar just to make a point. It really is a similar thing, but much more obvious in it's unacceptability.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Speaking for myself, I havent brought beer onto a course in years and years, never was my thing. But I have no problem with others doing it, so long as they don't litter or shoot golf balls at me. I also have no problem with people sneaking popcorn or drinks into a movie theatre. I also have no problem with people downloading movies or music. I also have no problem with people smoking pot, a far less harmful substance than alcohol.

These rules and laws are constructed to improve social responsibility or business profit. They are not unyielding and god-almighty-rules, and a lot of them don't make any sense (see pot above). If you break the "rules", be prepared to pay the price. But don't tell me what I can and can not do if I'm prepared to pay the price. You look after yourself, I'll look after myself.

There is nothing you can say that would justify the "rules".

Keep in mind that I am still a socially responsible person (ex: I've never driven a car under any kind of influence).

Cutting into a business's profit? Yes, I'm guilty as charged. So is the Canada Revenue Agency.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Maybe in addition to the liquor license rules, it's also an issue of decorum on the course. It seems to me the people most opposed to the club rules in this case are the ones who want to have more than one or two beers in a round. Surely no one cares, especially after splashing out $30-50 for 18, about another $5 for a beer. If you're after more than one or two, why are you golfing, why aren't you just drinking somewhere not bothering anyone else?

I played a round last year with a couple of guys that had been dropped off at the course (7:15am tee time) because they had been drinking all night and weren't able to drive themselves there. They of course brought another 12 beers to get them through the round. Not my favourite round last year.

I like a beer as much as the next guy. I like more than a few in the proper context. But if you're drinking enough beer at the course that you need to sneak them in to avoid the financial costs, you've got bigger issues.

I certainly don't expect everyone to obey all the rules all the time. It's enough that we know the rules and as adults make our own choices. When you choose to byob to the course you are risking the completion of your round, not a jail sentence. Not much of a risk, but a valid consequence if you get caught. That's all.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I find it funny that so many people are trying to sound off as some "morality police" on this issue. Comments like "I can't believe you're trying to justify breaking the law" are hilarious.

I can justify breaking just about ANY law if I set my mind to it. It's really not hard. This particular law of not being allowed to bring beer onto a course (without buying it there) is really quite stupid.

Also, it's nobody's business but my own if I want to have 1 beer or 15 beers in my round of golf. For those of you who say otherwise, it is not MY responsibility to accomodate you, just as it's not your responsibility to accomodate me. As long as we are respectful of that, everyone gets along just fine...

I'm assuming most people would not think too highly (ouch, pun) of my bringing a few joints onto the course. Ironically, nobody has ever complained to my face about it and many have even been oblivious to what I was doing.

Bottom line: Worry about what YOU are doing, not me.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Lob Wedge duffer69 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I'm assuming most people would not think too highly (ouch, pun) of my bringing a few joints onto the course. Ironically, nobody has ever complained to my face about it and many have even been oblivious to what I was doing.
    Dan
    Echo that. Heck, even my (soon-to-be-ex) wife was oblivious for years. Still is.

I've never been one to do much in the way of drinking while I play, with some fun tournaments being the exception. Most of the folks I play with agree that there's a pretty fine (and often unpredictable) line between helping you loosen up and totally obliterating your game .

Not wanting to compare herb to barley, but.... the odds of somebody getting obnoxious are somewhat higher (pun also intended) when having a little too much to drink than somebody who has fired up a rocket. Which of the two would be more inclined to sit back and relax to let somebody play through if necessary?

That being said, I'm sure there are lots of folks that will tut-tut and perhaps even grumble. Is firing up a fatty on the other side of the fairway, away from other people going to have any impact whatsoever on their game? Only if they let it get to them. How some people react can be as unpredictable as the weather. It doesn't take much effort to be a little discrete if conditions warrant. Tougher for me this year after quitting tobacco last year, but a nice Cuban goes a long way in providing "cover" if needed.

Thread Information