100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    6 Iron psyflyjohn is on a distinguished road
    I've been looking at short throw projectors, and it seems like BenQ and Optoma are the most popular brands to use with our golf simulators. Optoma's seem to be the most recent recommended brand, but it just has HDMI inputs. Seems a little short sighted (pun intended) on their part. I don't know if I want to get into converting my video output signal to digital to suit the Optoma.

Any feelings regarding BenQ vs Optoma?
    Last edited by psyflyjohn; 06-12-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I would go with the one that first fits your space (hitting location more importantly as you don't want a pop up to hit it) second fits your budget, third has 1080p (assuming you want better video quality), fourth has higher lumens (all projectors are different in terms of how they measure this, but in a dark room I would recommend something at around 3,000 as a min). If all other factors are equal go for lumens. In order to determine projector distances go to projector central and use their calculator.

Thanks for the guidelines, Dax. I already have a regular throw projector for the golf simulator, and thought that a short throw would be nice to eliminate the shadows. As I though about it more, I realized I could easily use it in in the living room also. Along with a motorized 100" screen (dirt cheap!), it would make a dandy home theater projector also. So my requirements get a bit more complicated with this multi-use in mind.

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    If you have a current video card, HDMI is no problem. In fact HDMI is the gold standard for video input. I think I've been using it exclusively for all high end video - plasma TVs etc for quite a few years.

Well, I took the plunge and ordered an Optoma GT1080. I like the very short throw, which will work in my current garage set-up. The unknown is what will happen when I convert the computer VGA output to HDMI input for the projector. If it works, I'll keep the projector and expand its' use as a home theater projector also. I don't quite understand why that whole line of Optoma's only take an HDMI input. Maybe they cheaped out when designing them. Otherwise it seems like an excellent buy.

Well, I received the Optoma GT1080 and a converter cable for VGA computer output to HDMI projector input. It didn't work very well at all. The projector would periodically lose the signal, plus the display was skewed to the left - likely a product of the converter cable. At least I tried it. Next, I ordered a BenQ 1085st. Although more expensive, it has various inputs on the back, including HDMI. This should take my VGA output directly, and also use the HDMI for home theater. I'll report the result...

On edit: The BenQ 1085T has worked out great ! It has a slightly longer throw than the Optoma, and it ended being mounted on the floor to the side of the hitting area. Luckily, it has very good adjustments for side and vertical off sets. In fact, I think it is a superior projector in most ways. The bonus was that it makes an excellent home theater projector also. Combined with a large, but inexpensive pull down screen, watching movies is a lot of fun. A good way to go.

More edit: The BenQ also makes a dandy 3D projector. Having fun with this one!
    Last edited by psyflyjohn; 08-02-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Update

Thread Information