CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lob Wedge Mazenblue is on a distinguished road

New Simulator Build

image.jpg
    Thanks to all of the information here, I was able to build a great little home simulator. I originally started to order a GC 2, but after much deliberation I went with a Skytrak and an Optishot. The first day I played the Optishot so long I could hardly walk. Loved it! I'm still working the bugs out of the Skytrak but for the price you can't beat it. The support at Skytrak leaves a lot to be desired. Screen is a 12x10 by Carl's 1 " pipe frame. BenQ MW 621ST projector. Total cost was about $3600.00
    It's over 100 here in Nevada so it's time to play inside. I have built this to be mobile to take it to my cabin. If I would have just bought an Optishot first, I would have been more than happy.
    Thanks again to everyone for all of the information!
    Last edited by Mazenblue; 05-29-2015 at 09:54 PM.

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    Congrats on your build. And I'd second your thought about OptiShot being a pretty decent introduction to the sim world.

Skytrak is sufferring from a botched roll-out and very poor support. It hopefully will develop over time into a viable alternative to the GC2.

Enjoy!

Thank you AJA! I'm, torn about the Skytrak, it is so close to being a great product. I totally agree the roll out was botched. I think it needed a little more R & D. I've had so many problems with it and the support people. If the company would take 30 minutes and train their people it would be a great help. I may send it back, I have a week to decide. When it works it works great, but it won't sync and I lost all my data yesterday after 2 hours of practice. Today it worked ok. I had to go buy another iPad this week. My wife keeps saying " you should of bought the GC2 send that thing back" My sim was roughed in, just to se if I would like it. I'm going to build something real nice. It's 104 right now so I have to get some cooling in the shop. Thanks for your post!

Sand Wedge Rcush88899 is on a distinguished road
    I agree I had a Sky track and thought it was awesome but it has a lot of problems linking your stats and I had a problem getting driver and having it read. I have a PIII proswing that I love and it works great even know it doesn't track the ball just the club. I sent my skytrsk back but will consider buying when they make the roll out better and fix the issues of syncing your stats. I really like the ease of use with hardly any cables attached and portability.

I have changed my mind several times today. I hope they can get things worked out. When it works its really a great launch monitor for the money. It is very easy to set up. I did have to buy a new IPAD, I didn't really use the old one. There was a 25 second delay with the old one. I'm going to give Skytrak a couple of days to answer my questions and fix my sync issues or I'll be buying a GC2. I have a blast with the Optishot it makes me feel like I have a golf game. This reminds me of Callaways UPRO. I have one of those too!

If u have the $, gc2 is your best bet. I wouldn't even monkey around with anything else. I would love to own a gc2 but I'm content with my p3. Let us know what you do. I love talking simulator talk.

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    Skytrak is partnering with TGC. You're in a good place. It's fine. I have the gc2 and love it but you're already down the rabbit hole on the Skytrak

I'm out of the rabbit hole. I sent it back last week. Lol. Where did u buy your gc2 by the way?

I'll buy Skytrak again when it's packaged with TGC.

I bought mine from foresight in Canada. Sports entertainment in Denver I believe has decent pricing.

I still have a week or so to send it back, but it works fine except for the sync issues. I called support again and they have an open ticket, I received some info on another post to fix it, but it did not work. I really want to believe in Skytrak, I think good things are coming. They just botched the roll out. My wife took out a GC2 at Dicks Sporting Goods with a cage around it! I'm more than a little concerned for my own hardware.

How did she take it?

With a Driver.

Wow, a hole in one shot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u8KUgUqprw&app=desktop

What did dicks do? Or did you and your wife run like hell? Haha

Just slinked out with a new driver. Not the one that was obviously defective. They were good about it.

Great Seinfeld Clip! Is that a Titleist?

At least they weren't Dicks. Sent me a photo of your setup when you get a chance.

lol perfect for your wife's situation of killing a simulator

6 Iron psyflyjohn is on a distinguished road
    Congratulations on your wife's golf shot ! I was introducing my Optishot to a friend, and he wacked it so hard with my 5 iron, that the head broke off and went through the screen. Embarrassing to say the least. I decided to never invite him to play on it again. Surprisingly, it didn't damage the Optishot. Must be one tough unit ! I also realized that if it had been destroyed, that it wouldn't cost that much to replace it - another plus for it...

I would be the living piss out of one my friends if they hit the Skytrak

I'm still trying to figure out how you take out a gC2 with a driver. It's a foot from the ball.

It's a hole in one look at the Seinfeld link I posted.

6 Iron psyflyjohn is on a distinguished road
    The lesson to be learned is be careful of your units when introducing them to your friends. They are likely to do some strange things until they get used the the unit you're using.

Yes it is. I have a bunch of people coming over today. I'm going to leave the Skytrak put away. We will play with the Optishot. As far as my wife taking out the GC2. She was swinging a driver, toe or heel shank I don't know. The GC2 was in a cage too. The ball smacked it. The sales guy set it back up, he couldn't get it to work again. She had been using one of my old shafts. I thought she needed to get fit with a shorter women's shaft. She has one now, she doesn't like it.
    I have had people hit off the toe near the Skytrak, but not hit it. Is it possible? I have seen it.

Putter ricowx is on a distinguished road
    How do you like your Carl's golf screen? Same one I'm looking at... Unfortunately I can't seem to find any reviews on them

ricowx, The Screen has been great. I have not had any issues with it at all. We watch movies on it almost every night. I hit 200 plus balls a day on it from a distance of 8-12 feet. I wish they made custom sizes. I moved the simulator to my summer home and didn't quite have the same room. My frame is 3" short on the width and a foot short on height. It stills works fine with less rebound. I don't know if the PR20 screen from West Coast Netting is the same material. But they offer a good price and do custom sizes.

Simulator build update

My simulator has been evolving, at first I went with a 10x9 cage. It effected my swing. I put in carpeted walls and ceiling and built it out to 11'8"X 9. SkyTrak has been updating it's software and I really like it now. I have built a protective case around it. My son-in law hit it with a sh**k. No damage. I still have a lot of upgrading but I would rather play than work. the screen is a little big for this space and I'll order a new one soon.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Mazenblue; 07-29-2015 at 01:49 PM.

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    Screen a "little big"? I'd say your image is a "little small". Get a good short throw projector.

Putter ricowx is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the input, I am considering the Carl's golf, the pr20, and hq raw. Not sure about sewing the hq myself though.. I'm a little worried about the pr20 light leak through that some have talked about. (wife will use as white backdrop for photo studio) so for the price point I'm leaning towards carls golf.. But I'm sure I will change my mind at least another 3 times today.

AJA I have a short throw projector. It was not adjusted for that pic

Thread Information