CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter orlimar is on a distinguished road

Need advice on blades

Hello everyone! Let me start by saying I’m Dutch, therefore please forgive me any flaws in my typing. By surfing on the net I came across this interesting and very active forum. I am considering buying a new set of clubs and try to find as much information as possible. Maybe you can help me on my way?

At the moment I play around handicap 10 with my Prosimmon OGC oversized clubs with graphite shaft. But I’m starting to feel constrained by the big heads when I’m in the rough, or when my bal is in a difficult spot. I also feel that I need more control and precision for my approach shots and I think blades might help me out with this. My local golfshop only has outdated models for incredible high prices. With the favourable ratio (for me) between the euro and the dollar, buying something in the States could be an option (I am a student, with a need for cash). But there is soooo much information on the net, I can’t see the forest through the trees (as we say in Holland). Can somebody tell me where I can find information on which brands and types of golf clubs are worth considering? Preferably for clubs from a few years back (around 2003), that I can buy for a good price on Ebay. I just don’t know what to look for.

Also, I am 1.95 m, which is around 6.4 ft (some calculator on the internet did that for me) and therefore need my set to be 1 inch longer than standard length. Is it possible to buy a regular sized set (since lengthened sets are not easy to find on Ebay) and lengthen is afterwards? Or does that badly affect the characteristics of the club?

And one other thing, should I consider a stiff flex? I swing pretty fast, and “should therefore be needing” a stiff flex, but I prefer the feel of my regular flex.

Hmmm, many questions, sorry for that.

Thanks in advance for any reactions!

Jeroen

Putter orlimar is on a distinguished road
    Well, not many reactions so far. I have tried out a few and I'm thinking about buying either the Mizuno mp-30 or the mp-32. Can't really decide.

Anyone got experience with the two? Is the mp-30 really a lot more forgiving? I can't really tell the difference, but I only hit the 6 iron of both.

7 Iron HiG4s is on a distinguished road
    Not sure about prices over there, but here I got a set of custom fit KZG forged clubs for about the same prices as it would have been for off the rack clubs..

check www.kzggolf.com

Gap Wedge alien270 is on a distinguished road
    mp32 all the way
    i tried wilson fi5 at a demo and they were as sweet as the mp32

Andru
    Hi Jeroen

To Answer some of your questions. Yes you can have them extended after buying them online.

A few manufactuers make cavity backs that perform like blades. here are a few models I've found on ebay.

Cleveland TA-2 Here's a set already extended 1/2 inch and the lie angle is upright. Probably perfect for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...156469945&rd=1

Ping i3 Blade (Look for blue dot Pings.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...156695358&rd=1

Hogan Apex Plus This is a really nice iron from the early 2000's. A favourite on these boards.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...157200151&rd=1

Titleist 704 CB Here's a another set extended

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...156331032&rd=1

Before going to a pure blade have a look at these. They offer the control of a blade but a little forgiveness as well.

Hope that helps Cheers

7 Wood Stephen is on a distinguished road

Mizuno T-Zoid Pro ll

Hi,

I have recently switched from cavity back to a blade and loving it. I'm learning to be consistent in my ball striking. I can now feel different levels of mis as appossed to looking at the ball flight only; as was the case with the cavity backs.

I can recommend the Mizuno T-Zoid Pro ll, they are a nice looking club that can be purchased cheaply if you watch for deals.

I got mine at Chuck Browns here in Ottawa for $200.00. I was there recently and they have another set going for 200.00 if I'm not mistaken.

Regards,

Stephen

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    You should not have too much trouble finding inexpensive blades. As some have mentioned, the MP-32s are fabulous, but of course new and a bit pricey.
    MP-33s are almost as forgiving as the 30s or 32s and are available fairly inexpensively used. As well there are dozens of other good older blades -Hogans, Ram Tour Grinds, Palmers etc. - that are available very cheaply and play just as well as any modern blade.

Thread Information