CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar

Swing speed and shafts for seniors

Closer to 70 than 60 so figured it was time to look at senior shafts. Off to Golftown where I tried half dozen#3hybrids and to my surprise I hit the senior shafts about 5 miles slower than the stiff shafts. I thought that the lighter shafts were supposed to increase speed.

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    Yes. Assuming you swung the same head on that hybrid each time that should be the case. Not all heads have the same weighting however.

Certain brands have both standard and tour versions in the same club which have weight added and distributed differently to serve a variety of purposes.

Make sure you are comparing apples with apples and take 7-10 swings with each and look at your average. Then you should have a better basis for comparison.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofish2 View Post
    Closer to 70 than 60 so figured it was time to look at senior shafts. Off to Golftown where I tried half dozen#3hybrids and to my surprise I hit the senior shafts about 5 miles slower than the stiff shafts. I thought that the lighter shafts were supposed to increase speed.
    At 69, almost 70, I have traditionally used shafts that had a butt frequency in the lower STIFF range. This season I started using a Mitsubishi shaft that says "R" on the shaft but butt frequencies in the "L" range. Interestingly, the feel is better that any shaft I have played and the distance/accuracy is better, as well.

Having said that, it is important to consider HOW you swing the club when selecting a shaft. With a smooth tempo and transition from backswing to downswing, a more flexible shaft will work well, while with a fast transition, a stiffer shaft works best, even though the speed at impact is comparable. It has been said that the number 1 contribution of the shaft to your swing is FEEL, so keep that in mind when trying out various clubs. If it feels too stiff or too whippy, it probably is.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    No question my transition is is quicker. My playing partner thinks that is the reason also. He also posited that my height and build (5'9" and stocky) might contribute as he is 6'3" and finds my clubs too stiff.

Thread Information