+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Wjendico is on a distinguished road

GC2 HMT golf mat size and recommended mat brand

Hi all,

Long-time reader of the forum and first time poster. I'm interested in purchasing GC2 HMT with FSX Simulation software for my garage.

Two questionss for those who own GC2 HMT or have expertise with the technology:

1) What size golf mat would you recommend for use with GC2 HMT? I want to be able to hit driver and I have no space restrictions in my garage. The GC2 is supposed to be level or slightly higher (1") than the golf ball and positioned correctly for the green LED light to turn on. For those of you who own or use GC2 HMT, what dimensions are your golf mat? I have seen online where people hit off a regular 5x5 golf mat and then position the GC2 on a smaller "hitting strip" mat or even on a textbook. I'm looking for the most accurate solution, but don't want to spend $1000 or more on a golf mat.

2) What golf mat brand is the best? Real Feel Golf Mats seem to have excellent reviews. Wondering if anyone else has recommendations.

Thanks in advance. Glad there are so many golfers who have more knowledge than me with the set-up of these launch monitors.

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    Probably one of the most cost effective solutions would be to build your own and then have a cutout area where you could drop in a strip of the real feel mat. I think they sell it like 1' x 3' or something. I ended up cutting it into two pieces to drop into my mat. I suggest having the GC2 of to the side and not on the mat your hitting on.

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    I have a real feel mat and love it. It's 5x10 and was a grand. I'm curious why you're willing to spend 15000 - 20000 on a LM and software but worried about the cost of the mat. The HMT is great but needs stickers and costs a boat load of money. You only need the LM to get accurate ball flight details.

Putter Wjendico is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the replies. I should have rephrased my original question. The money isn't the biggest issue for me with respect to the mat. I have seen several videos on YouTube like Mark Crossfield and Rick Shiels using the GC2 HMT, and they both have a standard sized golf mat (like 5x5) for ball placement and a second smaller mat to position to the GC2 HMT unit.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a single larger mat (ie, 5x10) versus a normal size mat (ie, 5x5) paired with a smaller hitting strip (ie, 20" x 36") for use with the GC2 HMT?

I have actually already paid for the GC2, HMT, FSX sim software and a new laptop. It should be here in approximately 2 weeks. I want clubhead information. I have used FlightScope and TrackMan hundreds of times and they are wonderful outside, but the GC2 HMT is ideal for my space in the garage. I'm actually looking for the best mat with respect to GC2 HMT placement and performance. If the 5x10 Real Feel is the best, I will get it. Just seeing multiple pros use separate mats made me wonder what the best solution is.

Thanks again...very helpful info thus far.

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    The only reason for a 5x10 is to switch from RH to LH and have both sides hit at the middle of the screen. A 5x5 is perfect if not doing that. Just keep the LM between level and +1" above level.

Putter john_mclean is on a distinguished road
    Hi,
    I'd recommend going with the a cut out area for the hitting strip and using cheaper turf from your hitting area to the net/screen.
    This will help absorb the balls bouncing back and will allow you to replace the stance area with another cut out in the future. either the real feel and true strike strips will give you the ability to hit down through the ball with irons. The area where you stand will likely wear out first due to the pivot of your feet on it.

Thread Information