CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    You must understand that an index is a calculation of your 10 best rounds in the last 20. Your index will reflect your best ability on the best days. Triples and quads wont make a difference if it’s once in a while. Your index will reflect your potential and not your average.

Most golfers don’t play by the rules. Most of them don’t know the rules. They will add up false scores day in day out without them knowing it. I see it every day at my home course. When it’s time to qualify to make the home team, most of those players shoot a lot higher then their index for two reason. The number one reason is they are forced to play by the rules adding a lot more strokes on their card then they are accustomed.

The second reason is stress. Many players can’t handle stress when playing.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    It's not just for match play. It's for any handicapped competition, including stroke play.
    Iunderstand it is applicable to both, I just find it easier to wrap my head around ESC in the match play context. I also noted this in my original post:

"I think ESC is geared primarily toward match play, at least that is how I can rationalize it.
    I don't know what rationale there would be for ESC on stroke play but I bet there is one."

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    Iunderstand it is applicable to both, I just find it easier to wrap my head around ESC in the match play context. I also noted this in my original post:

"I think ESC is geared primarily toward match play, at least that is how I can rationalize it.
    I don't know what rationale there would be for ESC on stroke play but I bet there is one."
    Missed that piece.

But don't forget, ESC doesn't actually come into play for the actual competition. When you are playing, be it match or stroke play, you are supposed to count all your strokes.

ESC only applies when you are submitting your scores for handicapping purposes.

Personally, I usually stop counting once I get past my ESC in casual play.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    ESC is a fundamental part of the handicap system. If you aren't taking ESC into account, your index is higher than it should be. Over time if you keep making triples, your index will creep up, even though you can only count doubles. Trust me, I know. My index went to 10.3 last year before I started having 4 bad holes a round. Index finished the year at 11.8.

Anyone close to single digits should be able to par, under reasonable conditions, pretty much any hole they play. Now, if I have a tin cup moment, which happens way too often, the 8 or 9 that I scored there is not really indicative of my ability. It just means I was paying too much attention to the cart girl, my underwear were riding up, etc. and I had a bad hole. That's what ESC is meant to address.

Think of the situation where I par 17 holes, then decide to shoot / record a 15 on the 18th hole. Obviously I am a better golfer than the 15 would indicate so I am limited to recording a double so that my handicap isn't artificially inflated.

The Pope of Slope page has lots of good reading on this subject.
    Exactly. Equitable stroke control was put into place to minimize "sandbagging".

As well, all the major golfing bodies (RCGA, USGA, R&A, etc.) have a system in place to monitor "reverse sandbagging", reporting a lower handicap index than you should have, to guard against marginal players taking spots in qualifiers for big events from people who are more qualified. It's based on your competitive playing record.

Example: If you want to try to qualify for the US Open you need to have an index of 1.4 or less. But if you consistently fail to post a "competitive score" in those qualifying rounds (I believe it's the bottom half of the field in your designated round over a 3-4 year period), the USGA has the right to refuse your future applications.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Example: If you want to try to qualify for the US Open you need to have an index of 1.4 or less. But if you consistently fail to post a "competitive score" in those qualifying rounds (I believe it's the bottom half of the field in your designated round over a 3-4 year period), the USGA has the right to refuse your future applications.
    That’s how you get in the OVGA. You must have a competitive index to play in their major tournaments. It’s hard to get in to their qualifying tournaments and when you do get in you better perform cause you will slide to the bottom of the list and fast making it harder and harder to get back in.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Clearly I'm the best golfer on the site......... Hands freakin' down.....

Dan

Oh wait... I'm not even the best golfer in this room, and I'm alone!
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    From the RCGA wbsite:
    Q. What is ESC (Equitable Stroke Control)?
    A. Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) is the downward adjustment of individual hole scores for handicap purposes in order to make handicap factors more representative of a player`s potential ability. ESC sets a maximum number that a player can post on any hole depending on the player`s Course Handicap. ESC is used only when a player`s actual or most likely score exceeds his maximum number based on the table below. It is imperative that a player`s gross score be adjusted prior to posting for handicap.

The key phrase from the above is golfer's potential. Whether by design or incidental, scoring a big number on a hole after 15 pars or whatever, does not represent your potential as a player, therefore, it should not be included in determining your handicap factor.

Our handicap is an indicator of what we might score when we play well and does not reflect our average or median score. We all know that cheating on handicaps is a major problem and ESC helps a little, in keeping things under control.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Enter your scores on our new FREE Handicaping System.
    RCGA Certification is pending.
    RCGA members at courses usiing the Reservation Masters Booking System will be able to use this for official handicapping.

Rankings will be enabled in a couple of weeks and we'll see who's the best golfer!

handicap.ottawagolf.com
    handicap.kingstongolf.ca
    handicap.centralontariogolf.ca
    handicap.golfresource.net
    handicap.reservationmasters.com

Thanks BC, that's a great help in my understanding of what will be my first tracked "RCGA-based" handicap season. So ESC is used "behind the scenes" by the Pro or whoever is tracking a club's handicap? I don't consciously need to do anything with it, right?

I have also heard of ESC being used hole-by-hole. Max score on a hole based on it's rating versus your handicap or something like that. Do you (or maybe Nice_Lag) have any idea what that's about?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Dan, can we retro-actively enter scores? I have only the ones entered for OGT purposes, and I think I threw out a scorecard last night. My pro might have the info, but I am not entirely sure about what records are kept specifically...

Awesome addition to the site man, and much appreciated. I hate spending so much money on something without at least being able to take it a little seriously. This is a great step in that direction.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Enter your scores on our new FREE Handicaping System.
    RCGA Certification is pending.
    RCGA members at courses usiing the Reservation Masters Booking System will be able to use this for official handicapping.

Rankings will be enabled in a couple of weeks and we'll see who's the best golfer!

handicap.ottawagolf.com
    handicap.kingstongolf.ca
    handicap.centralontariogolf.ca
    handicap.golfresource.net
    handicap.reservationmasters.com

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    You are the coolest Dan! I've been looking for a place to keep my handicap. Thanks!

I cannot take all the credit for this. This was a ReservationMasters project. We hired two excellent contractors to produce the code. I oversaw the project and layed out the requirements, directing the programmers and dealing with the RCGA. Thanks to Nathaniel, Dave and Richard for a job well done. We will be enhancing this further as time goes on, but it is pretty darn good right now!

I have started a new thread for this, I don't want to hijack, so take comments and questions here http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...7178#post47178

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Thanks BC, that's a great help in my understanding of what will be my first tracked "RCGA-based" handicap season. So ESC is used "behind the scenes" by the Pro or whoever is tracking a club's handicap? I don't consciously need to do anything with it, right?

I have also heard of ESC being used hole-by-hole. Max score on a hole based on it's rating versus your handicap or something like that. Do you (or maybe Nice_Lag) have any idea what that's about?

Thanks in advance.

Dan
    ESC is applied on a hole by hole basis. Depending on your handicap, you are allowed a maximum, for handicapping purposes, score on each hole. If you check the RCGA handicap site it will give you the details but basically if your handicap is 1-18 the max you can record is a double bogey and if you are higher you can record a triple. Scratch or better can only enter bogey.

Since you are generally responsible for entering your own scores you'd have to figure out what your ESC adjusted score is before you enter it.

Adjusted Score

Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)

Equitable Stroke Control is the downward adjustment of unusually high individual hole scores for handicap purposes only in order to make handicaps more representative of a player's potential ability.

Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) sets a maximum number that a player can post on any hole depending on the player's Course Handicap. ESC is applied to any hole where the player's score exceeds the limits for their handicap.

Handicap FactorMaximum
    0 or plus1 over par
    1 through 182 over par
    19 through 323 over par
    33+4 over par
    Example: If you are a 15 handicap, your maximum for any hole is a double bogey. If your gross score was 85 and you had one quadruple bogey, and a triple you would post an Adjusted Score of 82 for handicap purposes. Your quad-bogey is 2 above double, and the triple-bogey is one above double for a total ESC adjustment of 3 for the round.

Scores that include reasonable conceded putts are acceptable and should be recorded, except the ESC shall apply when the score exceeds that allowed by the formula.

Under no circumstances shall the procedures of this section be used by a player to manipulate his Handicap Factor.

Great info, but left me with one more question...

If I'm currently playing as an 18 handicap, that allows me dbl-bogey for max score on ANY and ALL holes on the course, right?

That having been said, do I put on my scorecard a 8 on a par 3 (god forbid, but it happens), and then have a seperate scorecard for my handicap tracking? Or would my club have that dealt with when I enter my score? Basically am I to report an adjusted score on this new system, or is the software gonig to take care of ESC for me like the OGT one does?

Thanks,
    Dan

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Depends on the software and how you enter your scores. If you enter hole-by-hole scores it would probably adjust for you as you entered the individual scores. Otherwise if you enter just the total, normally you get 2 boxes, one for Gross and one for adjusted Net score. Check with your club captain or the pro.

That having been said, do I put on my scorecard a 8 on a par 3
    Yes
    Or would my club have that dealt with when I enter my score? Basically am I to report an adjusted score on this new system,
    For our new system you enter your adjusted score.
    is the software gonig to take care of ESC for me like the OGT one does?
    No, the OGT system handles hole by hole. It has a record for par on every hole so it can apply ESC for you.

By the way OGTour members please continue to enter your scores in our OGT system. We cannot yet import scores from the new system into the one we use at events.

Thread Information