100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge pappy64 is on a distinguished road

Help getting setup ...

Hi there guys ... Need some help here...

I have a Accusport Vector Pro launch monitor I like messing with to get some numbers and check out my clubs but would also like to look for something to do some simulation / closest to pin etc.

I was thinking the Optishot 2 just as something to play with as a simulator with my son and wife.

I want something better than wii golf that I can use my clubs with. I have been wrestling with Opti Shot, P3Pro .. I want to definitely stay cheaper.. cheaper the better.

I would LOVE a GC2 etc but wife would killlll me ! haha.. Any suggestions for something reasonably accurate and reasonably priced to play around with and have some fun ?

I don't mind if you occasionally get a funky shot on Opti shot etc, but if its frustratingly bad is another story.

Any help opinions greatly appreciated ! Thank yoU !

Heck... I would be happy with E6 cloud etc and just not putting ( i know putting doesn't work with a Vector Pro ) but $1200 for just E6 right now it way too much ! !

Thanks

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    It's all going to depend on your price range. Optishot ($400) cheapest and can be extremely finicky depending upon lighting conditions and can be frustrating to figure out. P3Pro ($800) is less finicky with lighting and gives better readings. Skytrak ($2k) is significantly better as it reads ball vs club data and is very accurate. Depending upon opinion, the ball flight algorithm may be slightly off but its measurements are really good. Obviously this is all my opinion based on personally owning/using all three systems

It took alot of time to get optishot to work accurately enough to enjoy. I actually play this quite a bit now because they allow play on premium courses for free usually every week and for the most part it is "accurate" enough. When i want to work on my swing, i use skytrak with the p3pro, that way i get both ball and club data. Optishot is way better than wii, I have that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wbond View Post
    It's all going to depend on your price range. Optishot ($400) cheapest and can be extremely finicky depending upon lighting conditions and can be frustrating to figure out. P3Pro ($800) is less finicky with lighting and gives better readings. Skytrak ($2k) is significantly better as it reads ball vs club data and is very accurate. Depending upon opinion, the ball flight algorithm may be slightly off but its measurements are really good. Obviously this is all my opinion based on personally owning/using all three systems

It took alot of time to get optishot to work accurately enough to enjoy. I actually play this quite a bit now because they allow play on premium courses for free usually every week and for the most part it is "accurate" enough. When i want to work on my swing, i use skytrak with the p3pro, that way i get both ball and club data. Optishot is way better than wii, I have that as well.

Thanks for your reply ! I do have the Vector for my "serious" golf studies. I have read great and horrible reviews for Opti shot. I like the price point on it but don't want to buy junk per se.

Would you suggest opti shot for rainy / winter days and to teach / have fun golfin with wife and 9 year old ?

Thanks again !!

Also, how are graphics with p3pro vs opti shot ?

Also I read you have to tape your clubs with P3pro ?

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    P3pro and Optishot are just not accurate for the serious golfer They are "fun" but not accurate for the serious golfer. Skytrak would be your best bet. If you want to just have fun with the family then get an Optishot.

Bubba, but not accurate would you as a golfer enjoy hitting balls with this ? If you treat it as an interactive video game vs a training aid ?

Yes. If your mind set is to have fun with the family, it will work. If you expect that most shots you hit will be well represented to allow for real accuracy, then you will be disappointed in time. So yes, I would recommend th Optishot as a fun, family sim.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Yes. If your mind set is to have fun with the family, it will work. If you expect that most shots you hit will be well represented to allow for real accuracy, then you will be disappointed in time. So yes, I would recommend th Optishot as a fun, family sim.
    I am sorry but what's inaccurate about it. Distances ? Left / right accuracy ?

Distances don't bother me but I'd like to have semi decent hook / slice ideas ?!

Thanks again guys !! Really appreciate help !

There is no ball data so it estimates everything. If you hit a thin shot it will estimate the launch angle. So for instance a worm burner may be represented by a normal launched shot. Left right shots at estimated based on club face. Dra and fad are ok but again estimated.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    There is no ball data so it estimates everything. If you hit a thin shot it will estimate the launch angle. So for instance a worm burner may be represented by a normal launched shot. Left right shots at estimated based on club face. Dra and fad are ok but again estimated.
    Thanks again. Thinking I'll take the leap in a week or so here and hopefully not a mistake !

Any other opinions always appreciated too ! Thanks

The price is right for Optishot. Like I said, its fun for what it is!

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by pappy64 View Post
    Thanks again. Thinking I'll take the leap in a week or so here and hopefully not a mistake !

Any other opinions always appreciated too ! Thanks
    I wouldn't hesitate buying the Optishot. It worked straight out of the box for me. It's the cheapest option really, plus it has a resale market. Consider it an entertainment system. For less than 500 bucks you have a "golf sim".

I have moved on to ProTee which is significantly more expensive and significantly more set-up intensive.

3 Wood Stonebattle is on a distinguished road
    pappy64:
    I thought I might give you perhaps a little different opinion on these simulators. GC2 is a great device as is Protee. I have used them both and can recommend either one of them. The cost of these two are a bit prohibitive for many though. I have never tried Skytrak, so I can't comment on it.

As far as low cost options, right now it seems to be between Optishot and P3proswing. I have the P3proswing and have friends with Optishots. I have used both of these and like them both. I have not tried Optishot 2.

If you want a device that is fun to use with family and friends, the Optishot is the way to go. It's inexpensive and fun to play for all. A couple of years ago I would have recommended it over the P3proswing. They both can miss swings for those that are swing challenged.

If you want a device that is fun to play with family and friends and you can use to improve your game, then the P3proswing is the way to go.
    One has to tape ones golf clubs to get accurate results, but I have found one needs to tape clubs with the Optishot as well the get accurate results. Taping can be a pain, but I've gotten use to it.

The P3proswing is by far the lowest cost device that provides accurate club data, ball flight launch angle, premium courses, and online competitive play. At one time I thought Optishot and P3proswing compared with each other. I can't see that as the case now. The folks at P3proswing have upgraded their ball flight simulation and the software interface in the last couple of years and they deserve recognition for those efforts. Just to emphasize what I'm saying, P3proswing is by far the lowest cost option that provides club and ball data. Don't get me wrong, they still have some more work to do.

I ended up last year as a 2.4 handicap. It helps my game, it can help yours as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonebattle View Post
    pappy64:
    I thought I might give you perhaps a little different opinion on these simulators. GC2 is a great device as is Protee. I have used them both and can recommend either one of them. The cost of these two are a bit prohibitive for many though. I have never tried Skytrak, so I can't comment on it.

As far as low cost options, right now it seems to be between Optishot and P3proswing. I have the P3proswing and have friends with Optishots. I have used both of these and like them both. I have not tried Optishot 2.

If you want a device that is fun to use with family and friends, the Optishot is the way to go. It's inexpensive and fun to play for all. A couple of years ago I would have recommended it over the P3proswing. They both can miss swings for those that are swing challenged.

If you want a device that is fun to play with family and friends and you can use to improve your game, then the P3proswing is the way to go.
    One has to tape ones golf clubs to get accurate results, but I have found one needs to tape clubs with the Optishot as well the get accurate results. Taping can be a pain, but I've gotten use to it.

The P3proswing is by far the lowest cost device that provides accurate club data, ball flight launch angle, premium courses, and online competitive play. At one time I thought Optishot and P3proswing compared with each other. I can't see that as the case now. The folks at P3proswing have upgraded their ball flight simulation and the software interface in the last couple of years and they deserve recognition for those efforts. Just to emphasize what I'm saying, P3proswing is by far the lowest cost option that provides club and ball data. Don't get me wrong, they still have some more work to do.

I ended up last year as a 2.4 handicap. It helps my game, it can help yours as well.
    Thanks again for all the information. I'm probably gonna save a few hundred and go Opti shot. Getting into a new house next week and setting up a garage for this stuff.

If the opti shot is decent enough to hit around and let family and friends enjoy it'll work. I still have my Vector for me to set up and tinker with numbers.

I just know my 9 year old would rather see a ball fly etc than analyze numbers !!

Thank you again !

Smart move. Trust me we have all been down this route. I have the Optishot, P3Pro with launch angle, ProTee with cameras and the Skytrak. The Optishot and Optishot 2 are the same with the 2 version really a software upgrade. Get the Optishot, setup the mat, projector and screen and enjoy it. Once you are ready to move up then I suggest getting the Skytrak. Be then there will be great sim software upgrades for the Skytrak. Stay tuned to the forums for developing news. Have fun!

Sand Wedge Rcush88899 is on a distinguished road
    How much was your SKYTRAK, I can get blemished one for $1694 with that 100 update they offer. I currently have a p3 with projector and a impact screen.

1500. Got it during the preorder.

how much different are the results compared to the p3?

Is it worth it?

The p3 has gotten quite good with their ball flight model and I get pretty comparable ballflight results the majority of the time. However being club based you also get false distance outputs when hitting thin, toe or heal side and whatnot. The skytrak is definitely worth the money and I would pick skytrack every time if it's within your budget.

Do you have them set up Simultaneously? Also did you ever try to use the Apple TV to connect it to a projector?

Did you buy the spin app for p3?

You don't have to tape irons or anything shiny, at least I don't. Just the darker clubs need it. Graphics are awesome. Just make sure you have a laptop or desktop who can handle it. I have fitted two people on my P3 and even convinced a buddy to buy one. I'm considering adding the Skytrak to my arsenal because of Bubba and Wbond's reviews. Plus I would rather not fork over $200.00 for the ballspin data p3 came out with for just a calculated #.

The ball spin data for 200 is a cash grab. Let's put it in perspective that this is only estimated ball spin based on club data. It should be shown by P3Pro for free. ProTee estimates spin based on club data and ball data and I believe that is a more accurate estimation and they don't charge $200 to just see that data.

I agree completely. I Won't put another nickel in to the p3. I'm going to order a st.

I did not buy spin, thought it was way off and no way worth the money. I do use both together.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcush88899 View Post
    I agree completely. I Won't put another nickel in to the p3. I'm going to order a st.
    Wise choice. Stay tuned on ST software options.

Ordered. I'll keep u And bond posted. What's you handicap?

Hcp 5. Keep us posted.

Thread Information