100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    EQuinelle is hard to beat for a public course, but can be a hike to get there depending where you live

Eagle Creek is great course but now a Club Link course so harder to access

Rivermead is one of my favourite private courses. I've never played Camelot but heard nothing but good things.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Speaking of the "trunk to trunk" experience, when are we going to see a course that offers a full experience with all the amenities...?

I am talking about golf, a gym, a pool, a childcare centre, a restaurant, a practice facility, maybe even tennis etc... Somewhere I can go with the family on a Saturday and the kids can be looked after, my wife can work out, the family can swim, relax, I can golf... And do all of this and not be some snotty country club atmosphere!

I know I am dreaming, but that would be the kind of place I would spend some money...

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Speaking of the "trunk to trunk" experience, when are we going to see a course that offers a full experience with all the amenities...?

I am talking about golf, a gym, a pool, a childcare centre, a restaurant, a practice facility, maybe even tennis etc... Somewhere I can go with the family on a Saturday and the kids can be looked after, my wife can work out, the family can swim, relax, I can golf... And do all of this and not be some snotty country club atmosphere!

I know I am dreaming, but that would be the kind of place I would spend some money...
    The OAC

Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post
    The OAC
    Yes, I love the golf course at the OAC... Especially the 2nd 18...

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post

huh?

"So what makes a good course? I look purely at the course, not the clubhouse, not the range, not the houses or lack of around the course, not the beer on tap, not the cart girls etc...

All I care about is level of difficulty, design, conditions and level of fun to be had on the course..."
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Jeff, I see 2 very different questions... Best golf course and best overall facility... If I am looking for somewhere to join (for my wife and family) then I am not looking at Stonebridge, even though it is one of my favourite "courses".

I would not join eQuinellle even though I find it a great challenge from the tips because it wouldn't have what my family wants...

Currently we don't have a "total facility" in Ottawa...

That's why I asked earlier, is best course referring to just the 18 holes or is it the total facility?

I wish they could drop the OAC right at The Meadows!!!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If you thought running a golf course at break even or making a profit was hard, turn it into a full service facility with all the other stuff you mentioned and it just got a lot harder.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Shagging Balls nexxo is on a distinguished road
    you are looking then for a country club, and to survive a country club must be able to profit year round, with our weather it is just not viable for that. some are closer, like hunt with golf and curling, but to truly offer what you asked, pool, tennis, gym, etc etc you need people there year round.

Move south!!

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road
    golfisforfun I know a community that might be what you are looking for. It is called Boca West in Boca Raton Florida. Four golf courses + the other stuff you like. I think it is great but the problem with this place is that it is big time expensive. All that extra stuff costs big dollars.

Shagging Balls nexxo is on a distinguished road
    you know it is actually not as expensive as most people think. in palm springs, you can be a member at a full country club (pool tenis courts gyms golf course dinning etc) for around 700 a month, the thing is it is 12 months, so yes it is around 7-8k, plus trail fee and dinning mimimums,. but it is not out of the question, again this works because they can bill and profit all year, not like here.

Bogie Kak is on a distinguished road
    The gem of all courses in the Valley is Montebello (IMO), built in 1930 and designed by Stanley Thompson, not one hole looks alike, mature, fast and tortuous greens, it's worth the drive.

Gap Wedge Dixie is on a distinguished road Dixie's Avatar
    eQuinelle, Stonebridge, Kanata Lakes in no particular order. Never played Eagle Creek but everyone raves about it.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Never played Eagle Creek.
    It is a must play for anyone who lives in Ottawa. Probably easier to access than the other top private courses. There are lots of CL members here on the forum. Just ask!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hybrid TLB is on a distinguished road
    Agreed. I golfed Eagle Creek last year for the first time since the year it opened. It was one of the finest golfing experieces that I have ever had !

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Wow, that's a long break.

That said, other than cosmetic stuff (clubhouse, interlock cart paths, new range) I can't think of any changes that they have made to the course itself since it opened.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

2 Iron Guzman is on a distinguished road Guzman's Avatar
    Nobody mention Le Sorcier, and last year was top rated in Quebec.
    "Everyone is born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid" Ben Franklyn.

9 Iron mkr001 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kak View Post
    The gem of all courses in the Valley is Montebello (IMO), built in 1930 and designed by Stanley Thompson, not one hole looks alike, mature, fast and tortuous greens, it's worth the drive.
    Have you played Norway Bay? Fantastic 9 hole course. Stanley Thompson and Robert Trent Jones 1930's design. After you can play the 9 hole course of the Pine Lodge in Bristol. Another 1930's design. Like time travel.

Consistently present bobbyc is on a distinguished road bobbyc's Avatar
    too many posts to read you liked the Canadian eh ? (original post) a flat overrated overpriced course where all you are paying for is their new practice facility and some old worn out sinking fairways !! and now they are putting dollars into 9east hole soccer-golf !! 18west green fees should rise to pay for that !! i play the 18west once, maybe twice (if they are lucky and i have a coupon), a season only because some of my buddies like it .... and we razz them too

maybe i should tell you how i really feel enjoy Ottawa golf lots of great course around you have to play them and find what you like for your game didn't like Kanata ouch ! IMHO

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    That... is a lot of emoticons.
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

Thread Information