CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Projector Help

Putter Gashirk is on a distinguished road

Projector Help

Building a golf simulator in my basement and need some help with picking out a projector (one of the last pieces). Screen is 110" wide, 84" high, 138" diagonal. Would like a throw distance of about 14 - 15 feet so the projector is mounted behind the hitting mat area (11 - 12 feet).

I've been advised to get a WXGA, 16:10 with 3,500+ lumens. I've been researching projector central but I'm new to this and it's very confusing. I'd like the picture to fill the entire screen.

- My screen dimensions line up more with 4:3 ratio vs 16:10, will 16:10 fit my screen? The room is dedicated to golf vs. movies, etc.
    - I plan to run SkyTrak with WGT and E6 when available, should I upgrade to 1080?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Putter omfs44 is on a distinguished road
    If you want to fill up your screen entirely, you have to project a 4:3 resolution. You don't necessary have to get a 4:3 native resolution projector. Based on your graphic card, MS windows itself can change your resolution. 1600x1200 would be a nice resolution to project at. Something like the Benq HT1085ST might fit your needs. And when you watch a movie, it will automatically switch to 16:9 or 16:10 format.

Thanks for the reply... This projector comes in a short throw (ST) or longer throw model. Any feedback on having the projector in front or in back of the hitting mat area? I will have some overhead lights above the hitting mat on a dimmer so I can regulate the brightness, does that impact where I should mount the projector?

Thanks again!

Putter omfs44 is on a distinguished road
    1085ST stands for short throw. Are you talking about 1075? That's the longer throw. In your case, 1075 might work bc your screen is not that big. Ideally, you don't want to put the project too far back bc it will start to cast shadow, of course it also depends on how tall you are and how far you're standing from the screen and how high you're mounting your projector. I'm not a big fan of mounting the projector in front of you bc your ball can hit it (like a flop shot or something). Think 4 to 5 feet behind you would be ideal. Don't think your over head light will impact where you mount your projector.

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    My 2 cents: Go for a short throw projector to avoid creating your own shadow on the screen. Short throw will let you put the projector much closer to the screen, avoiding the possibilty of creating a shadow from the golfer on the hitting mat.
    The other benefit of going short throw - you get a brighter image and maximize the available lumens. A 3500 lumen projector gives a less bright image the farther you place it from the screen - you can check this on the projector central calculator.
    As for the short throw "being in harms way" above or ahead of the hitting mat, if it's placed high enough, then there really is very little risk of damage from clubs or balls. I use an Optoma X306ST XGA resolution 4:3 projector and it's about 8 feet from the screen. My hitting area tee is 11 feet away.

Thanks for the feedback! I hit balls with my brother the other night and neither of us came near to hitting the ceiling even with a PW. We were 11 - 12 feet back, ceiling is 10' where we hit and tapers to 8' at the screen. I like the ST option but also understand the risk. Decisions, decisions...

8 Iron torreypines is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gashirk View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! I hit balls with my brother the other night and neither of us came near to hitting the ceiling even with a PW. We were 11 - 12 feet back, ceiling is 10' where we hit and tapers to 8' at the screen. I like the ST option but also understand the risk. Decisions, decisions...
    I have Panasonic PT ZV 5070: Native WUXGA resolution, 4800 Lumens, I have 17 ft throw, screen is 16x 10ft, I hit 12 ft from screen. My ceiling is 12 ft. am very pleased with image, no shadows, plenty bright with ambient light.

Finally settled on a projector! Optoma EH200ST, HD (1920x1080), 2,800 lumens, 20,000 contrast, 16:9 native but 4:3 compatible, price just under $1,000. I plan to mount on floor with the golf simulator guys protective box.

Will keep you posted....

Sand Wedge Shine is on a distinguished road
    Google confused and up pops my picture!

I have settled on all of the equipment except the projector. My room is 14'W - 25'10"L - 9'8"H. I bought the GC2 and they recommend it to be 12' from the screen. The screen I want to buy is 12' x 9' and I would like the image to fill as much of it as possible and definitely ceiling mounted. HELP!!!

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    What's your question? Any projector will work but a shorter throw will be closer. The Benq1085st would be 13-14 feet away. And fill the screen. They have zoom to move in and out.

You just answered my question - Thanks!

How far is your hitting area from the screen? Distance from screen to projector and installed height? Size of your screen (mine is 12'x9')?
    Can you fill the screen with image? Do you loose picture quality if you zoom? Which projector would you recommend?

Thanks for sharing!

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    -Screen 15x9
    -Projector is 14 feet away and inline with the top of the screen
    -Entire screen is filled
    -Zoom does not degrade image
    -same projector as the guy you cut and pasted your question to on the other thread. 1080stBenQ. I'm happy with it.

Thread Information