100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road

Courses and Customer Service...

I know this has been discussed in various topics before, but I am still blown away at how poor the customer service is at some courses. And I am not even talking about the on-course service level.

Last week I emailed 3 local courses about their mens night, with questions about joining and also about sponsoring/donating prizes for their mens and ladies nights... And I only received one email reply. BRUTAL and as someone who works as a National Sales Director in an industry where our competition is fierce, I find it unacceptable.

We keep hearing about golf courses struggling and how they are fighting for business and yet it is rare to find a course being creative about memberships or leagues, or going out of their way to make the experience better.

One of my favourite courses has not updated the News feed on their website since April 2nd. And when we are all dying to get out and play, the most important thing right now is letting us know when the course will open (even if tentative) and how the course is looking so far after the winter we had. This should be front and centre on every course website right now. PLANNED DATE TO OPEN IS:

It is all part of the customer service. Why is this so difficult for them to understand?
    Last edited by Kilroy; 04-14-2015 at 02:44 PM. Reason: course name removed

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Courses are struggling because they aren't getting enough $ from green fee players and memberships. They cut expenses and cut back on staffing to compensate. They may not have adequate staff to reply to questions right now, as they may be busy getting their proshops and restaurants ready for the season. All of the course websites I've looked at have their 2015 membership rates and green fee rates posted.
    Andrew

Maybe they don't get enough money from greens fees and memberships because they don't reply to emails!!!
    It does not take long to reply to emails and they have now lost my money because of it.
    Not having adequate staff is a poor excuse.

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Some of these course managers need to give their head a shake and realize what year it is. People now communicate and get their info through social media. If you don't have an updated website, twitter and can answer email in a timely manner you're NOT going to cut it. Don't wonder why business is suffering and you can't pay the bills.

Places like Equinelle, Casselview, Kevin Haime's, Canadian, Pineview, Hammond and The Meadows.....they get it. There are others but these are the ones most actively posting on Twitter and whom seem to have an interest in keeping people informed.

It is almost like some of these "managers" are strictly golf-minded and have no clue what customer service is all about. I have no clue why courses today have a need for a Head Pro when what they really need is a General Manager who has a business plan, a customer service background, someone who understand building relationships and keeping customers happy...

JM, you have it bang on, courses who don't keep up with the times get left behind and wont survive. If I go to a website and cant find the basic info that is up to date, I move and that course wont get my money.

I am not saying all head pros are useless or not necessary, but some that I have seen like to sit in their office and go out and teach the odd lesson...

How much do courses actually make off lessons by the time they pay the instructors?

Anyways, that's another topic...

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Some still believe in the old saying: If it ain't broke don't fix it. I believe in this saying: Only the strongest will survive.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Seasoned Veteran donquijote is on a distinguished road donquijote's Avatar
    Imo
    You will also get better customer service by calling them and speaking to someone
    this is social media times but some course may not take serious an email or tweet

May not take an email serious?
    Then they do not deserve my business...

I'm sure all golf course want more business
    You wrote it yourself that 2 of 3 courses you contacted didn't reply to your inquiry about men's nights and your offer to sponsorship
    But those same Golf courses would have taken your call and give you the info you are looking for in person rather than email it
    On top of that you would have an actual person to refer to in case they change any deal they give you

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Its a seasonal business and the season hasn't started yet. I would be more concerned if it was May and nobody responded. Some clubs have only a few employees right now, and many leagues are run by members rather than staff. I wouldn't get too worked up about it just yet.

Stonebridge G.C. ‏@StonebridgeClub 27m27 minutes ago
    Tentative Opening Day set for Thursday April 23rd. Stay tuned for full details later this week!

They get it.

Manderley Golf Club ‏@ManderleyGolf 1h1 hour ago
    We are 1 day away from opening! Who's excited for the 2015 golf season?!? #2015 #golf

Them too.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Its a seasonal business and the season hasn't started yet. I would be more concerned if it was May and nobody responded. Some clubs have only a few employees right now, and many leagues are run by members rather than staff. I wouldn't get too worked up about it just yet.
    sure it's seasonal but the season is ramping up (read ramped up) and golfers are chomping at the bit for info and to get out. If you have a phone, answer it. If you have an email address, answer your emails. It's really quite simple. And yes, Twitter, Facebook and your website should all be updated daily with new info to build excitement for the coming season. These things should be the bare minimum at this point.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

I came across the same issue with a restaurant recently... it is a new place that opened up near my house... searched and searched and couldn't find their hours for the easter weekend listed anywhere... it was tough enough finding their website online and then no info and when I called, no answer, not even a machine...

How do people expect to stay in business like this?

If it isn't easy to find the info, people move on and go elsewhere...

3 Iron spuds is on a distinguished road spuds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    I came across the same issue with a restaurant recently... it is a new place that opened up near my house... searched and searched and couldn't find their hours for the easter weekend listed anywhere... it was tough enough finding their website online and then no info and when I called, no answer, not even a machine...

How do people expect to stay in business like this?

If it isn't easy to find the info, people move on and go elsewhere...
    I was in Nevada for 3 weeks this past February,played about 6 different courses and I wish there was great service here like I experienced down there...

This area of the world is not big into customer service....I don't know why. I was in Mexico a couple weeks ago and as usual the service in the restaurants was exceptional. I see service people here and it seems to be a chore for them to provide decent service. I just don't get it.

3 Iron spuds is on a distinguished road spuds's Avatar
    True,it seems they put in the least bit of effort just to get a paycheck.

Many people in the US are just happy to have a job but in Canada many people feel insulted that they have to work for minimum wage or close to it, and their effort at work shows it...

Many people in the US are just happy to have a job but in Canada many people feel insulted that they have to work for minimum wage or close to it, and their effort at work shows it...
    ... or perhaps many people in Canada don't want to put up with this kind of neo-con BS and would rather not have your business. Some customers are just not worth having...

What???
    Is there something wrong with expecting good quality customer service?
    Neo-con BS???

... or perhaps many people in Canada don't want to put up with this kind of neo-con BS and would rather not have your business. Some customers are just not worth having...
    +1 👍

What???
    Is there something wrong with expecting good quality customer service?
    Neo-con BS???
    First of all, you stated in your original email that "I emailed 3 local courses about their mens night, with questions about joining and also about sponsoring/donating prizes for their mens and ladies nights". So it is not really clear to me whether you were actually a customer or just a salesperson in disguise.

Secondly, I get hundreds of emails every week from people I don't know who promise great deals for me. People call me and ring my doorbell (usually at dinnertime) to tell me the same thing. I don't respond to these emails and I often don't answer the phone. Sometimes I can be abrupt and impolite with strangers at my front door. I don't think I should have to apologize for that.

Finally, I find it insulting to be told that I should feel lucky to have a job because there is always somebody else who will do it for less money. I work hard for my money and I get paid well, and I don't think I should have to apologize for that either.

I am glad you work hard for your money. A lot of people don't. I work with hundreds of retailers across Canada and one of their biggest issues is the attitude of their employees who feel like they are owed better wages, that they are owed better jobs, that they shouldn't have to work for minimum wage...

I am not sure how your second point is relevant to this, and how you answer your door at home has nothing to do with customer service of local businesses in a brutally competitive industry.

Keep up the good work at your job. I am sure your employer and customers appreciate it.

2 Iron Guzman is on a distinguished road Guzman's Avatar
    I had my share of problems with employees and usually I tell them that if they want to get a better pay job they have to work harder or better or go back to university and become a plastic surgeon, service is service and if you give good service you are entitled to a better pay if you do not, you are lucky that there is a minimum wage!!
    "Everyone is born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid" Ben Franklyn.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    First of all, you stated in your original email that "I emailed 3 local courses about their mens night, with questions about joining and also about sponsoring/donating prizes for their mens and ladies nights". So it is not really clear to me whether you were actually a customer or just a salesperson in disguise.

Secondly, I get hundreds of emails every week from people I don't know who promise great deals for me. People call me and ring my doorbell (usually at dinnertime) to tell me the same thing. I don't respond to these emails and I often don't answer the phone. Sometimes I can be abrupt and impolite with strangers at my front door. I don't think I should have to apologize for that.

Finally, I find it insulting to be told that I should feel lucky to have a job because there is always somebody else who will do it for less money. I work hard for my money and I get paid well, and I don't think I should have to apologize for that either.

LOL...this is funny. Why do you think companies/people sponsor holes and donate prizes?! When was the last time you played in a tournament and some individual sponsored a hole with gaining nothing in return? Additionally, telemarketers and door-to-door people have nothing to do with his communication with the golf course. They should be returning his email because he's interested in joining their men's night. Sales 101 is you follow up with any potential customer to at least qualify/disqualify them. I haven't seen or heard of any club in Ottawa that isn't actively looking for members or business.

Customer service has nothing to do with how much you're paid, it's about your willingness to do your job correctly. The primary goals for anyone in the service industry is to provide a quality service, which would include quality customer service. I don't blame him taking his business else where. There are too many options in the city to not be getting back to any potential member. Hopefully it's not too late when these clubs come to realize this.

Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    LOL...this is funny. Why do you think companies/people sponsor holes and donate prizes?!
    Because name recognition and brand imaging is important to them, as is the opportunity to interact with current and potential clients in a relaxed setting on the golf course. If you think these companies are getting nothing in return, then you are being very naive. Its all part of doing business.

As I have said previously, it is not clear to me that golfisforfun was actually acting as a customer. He did not say he was looking to become a member of a club - he was asking about playing in and sponsoring a men's league. The men's league at my club is open to anyone, but has a waiting list to join and it is not managed by the club itself but by individual members at the club. The bottom line is that we don't really know what golfisforfun stated in his original email, so I am not going to rake someone over the coals for not responding to it.

Sales 101 is about creating win-win relationships. If you send someone an unsolicited proposal and they don't respond to it, then maybe it is not going to work for them. In any event I wouldn't complain about it. Try to reach them another way or move on to the next one.

Justsomeguy... You are grasping at straws here... I was very clear in my post and in my email... I was looking to join their Mens night... Plain and simple, there should have been a reply... There is no excuse... If I was the course owner and found out that requests like this were being ignored, the person in charge of email replies would be fired.

Thread Information