CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Playing Winter Rules Swerve is on a distinguished road

LF: Lawn maintenance advice

Seems simple, but... spring is finally here, do you seed first or fertilize first?

Looking for some experienced home lawn care "pros" to post their spring program.

Thanks...

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Light rake to pul dead grass and lift blades folloedvby seed and fertilizer together. Did mine Tonite just before the rain.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    I would suggest aerating your lawn too. When I saw the weather coming, I did my front yard with a $15-20 two pronger I got at Crappy Tire.

Aerate for sure and rake of course. I thought it was a bit early but I will get on that this week.

As for seed and fertilizing at the same time: I thought the fertilizer killed (or did something bad) to the seed if you put them down at the same time?

I figured rake, aerate and seed now, and then fertilize in a couple weeks?

Fertilizing won't hurt the seed. However, you can apply later as well. Sounds like you've got a plan that will work for you with all of the key components.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    It's a bit early for fertilizer and seed IMHO. I'd wait another couple of weeks, let things dry out a bit. Same for aerating, at least my lawn is still damp in spots. Give it a good rake for now and get the dead grass, leaves, etc. up and bagged. The aerating guys came around on sunday and I signed up for $25 - they were asking $40. As for fertilizer, I use lots and suggest doing it on or around the summer holidays, May 24, Canada Day, Civic, Labour Day. If you get a few weeds or dandelions, pull them out and stop them from spreading, same for clover. In the end a healthy lawn will combat weeds better than anything else.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Right, makes sense. I get pretty good sun, especially in the front but the back is still a bit damp. You fertilize basically every month in the summer?

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Rake, Overseed and Fertilize this week and then fertilize again around June 1st. Fertilize again late August and then again Early October. Overseed in September (more important than spring actually). Fertilize with Scotts Turfbuilder 30-0-3, seed with Scotts Sun/Shade mix. Always make sure your lawn gets enough water.

Too many fertilizations will actually weaken your lawn and open it up to disease and insects. 3-4 applications as per jm white is the ticket!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerve View Post
    Right, makes sense. I get pretty good sun, especially in the front but the back is still a bit damp. You fertilize basically every month in the summer?
    Pretty much about once a month. Grass is super thick and green. Be prepared to cut it more often as it grows like crazy.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thread Information