CorporateGolfXtra 2023
Closed Thread
    Hybrid Coreythebody is on a distinguished road Coreythebody's Avatar

2015 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup

Am i the only one getting more than just a little upset that someone has hijacked our event and is not reporting on it here anymore?

they have even gone so far as to rename it the F***stick/TGN Ryder Cup? Who authorized that? did i miss a meeting or something?

So it worked here for what, seven years, but hey, i want to promote a different forum? seriously?

Maybe i just need to accept changing that which isn't broke (again) and relax...

Thoughts?
    5 Time OG Team member for Ryder Cup

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Yup, but I will refrain from comment other than to say I am very disappointed in them.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hybrid Coreythebody is on a distinguished road Coreythebody's Avatar
    Dan,

i will apologize in advance for mentioning them on your great site. I was just blindsided by the change and wanted to see if i was alone there.
    5 Time OG Team member for Ryder Cup

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I guess I'll chime since I am the only person from Ottawa who has been part of every one of these events.

When the event first started it was really just an effort to get people from both the OG and TGN forums together to play some golf. This came about because there are a fair number of people who are members of both forums.

Up until this year there has only really been one golf forum serving the Ottawa area, so it was always OG vs TGN. Dan has provided some prizes/swag for past events (thanks again) but there has never really been an official sponsorship of the event per se and Dan has never been involved in the organization of the event to my knowledge.

I know first hand how hard it can be to field a full team from the Ottawa side. There's lots of reasons for this, and they are all valid.

I gather from the discussion that Flagstick are taking a more active role in the organization of the event, which is why they are choosing to add their name to the event. To me that seems fair. If the association with Flagstick gets more golfers out, great. If it doesn't then we'll probably do something different next year.

At the end of the day, it will likely be the same people that end up going to Belleville and playing some golf with the boys from TGN.

I don't know if there was any discussion between Dan and the Flagstick folks before hand, but if not then I would say that the situation certainly could have been handled better. If there was a discussion but the two sides could not agree then it comes down to a business decision by both parties on how they want to proceed. This is none of my business since all I really care about is going to play golf.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

There was no discussion at all.

You are correct in saying that I was hands off, but the event was started and run by forum members, even the captains changed by consent of the group, not some overseer. It took on a life of it's own so I was happy to see it happening with the OG name attached to it. I was thrilled that you folks took so much pride in it. It would not have been right for me to take it over.

Anyway, it is what it is.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 03-04-2015 at 11:54 PM.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Listen guys. There's no intent on my part to "hijack" this event from one forum to another. Yes, I have an affiliation with Flagstick, and my decision to run things from there instead of here was one of convenience. I spend the majority of my time over there now, so it made sense. Also, per the organizers from TGN, I and they have developed a good working relationship over the last couple of years, and they want to continue it.

I had no idea that this would cause, or any intent to cause this pissing contest over who "owns" this particular get together. In my mind, it's always been about getting a bunch of guys together from Ottawa and Toronto, meet half way, and play some fun and competitive golf. That's it.

At this point, due to the current circumstances, I have no interest in continuing my involvement. Life is too short, and I have other things that need my attention. I was happy to step up and organize things, and volunteer my time to get these two groups together, after no one else wanted to. But, since there seems to be this stupid (and pointless) division of so-called loyalty, I'm stepping aside and leaving things to someone else here to organize. I'll let Gerry (golfingoalie), and Dave (luv2golow) over at TGN know to expect contact rom someone else going forward.

Well done OG, you got your wish.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    if everyone is ok with it, let me discuss with my wife, but I'd be down to take the reigns of the OG side once again.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    Ireally don't understand what the big deal is. It's basically arrange a game with Ottawa players and Toronto. These past four years it has been the same players forming the team and having a hard time at that. Some new blood was needed and added interest. Furthermore, it'sit's been a gong song with crying over handicaps. I'm glad that has been put to rest with mandatory RCGA handicaps. It will be the only way I will play and I'm sure TGN will also.
    Again as previously stated, this is an arrange a game. I don't believe anybody should have any stake to it, unless they are sponsoring.
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Yes, but only the guys privy to Rich's email would be aware of the move to Flagstick. So any past OGers that want to sign up this year would never be aware of any of the details.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    Then we open it up under arrange a game on both sites. Ottawa vs Toronto.
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    Yes, but only the guys privy to Rich's email would be aware of the move to Flagstick. So any past OGers that want to sign up this year would never be aware of any of the details.
    According to Dan, I wasn't given any other option.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Once the dust settles, and someone from OG decides to assume organizational responsibility for the event, I would like to play. Whoever takes on the reins, I wish them well. It's not an easy task, much like herding cats many with their own ideas as to where they should be going. Finally, thank you Rich for all your hard work in the past on our collective behalf.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    According to Dan, I wasn't given any other option.
    Rich, you took the event away from here without saying a word. You just went ahead and did that all on your own. Then you came in here a couple of days ago and posted an announcement beckoning people over to the other forum. Of course I removed it. Now I'm a bad guy? Wow.

Champion racmbs is on a distinguished road racmbs's Avatar
    More drama than Leafs locker room

Lob Wedge luv2golow is on a distinguished road
    And so it begins.

Since I have never been one to shy away from voicing my opinions, I suppose I'll weigh in. Obviously most, if not all of you; know I am the better-looking of the co-captains from team Toronto. This entire situation makes me ill, frankly.

First off, this event has little or nothing to do with OGF, Flagstick or TGN for that matter. All are free websites which some of us frequent, none of which has ever sponsored or provided any logistical help in the running or organizing of the event. This event is about the core group of people who play in it. We are the owners of this event and keepers of its integrity. We are the reason why it lives or dies, we claim ownership by supporting it year after year. I know from our side, both Gerry and I, as well as the past captains before us; have worked tirelessly to make the event enjoyable and fair for all who choose to support it. And I can assure you, we are more than happy to volunteer our time so that the amazing supporters of this event can have the best weekend possible.

Rich has been an amazing addition to the leadership team on the Ottawa side. Not only for his integrity but also for his rugged good looks. Rich has supported the event vigorously over the years, and I consider him both a fierce competitor as well as an amazing friend. If he is not involved, frankly I think it is a huge detriment to Ottawa's team. I speak for Gerry and myself when I say that he will be greatly missed if he does not play. Anyone who thinks he tried to "hijack" the event is being both misguided and petty, in my opinion of course. The role he played is not easily accomplished, for if it was; everyone would line up to do it.

Its no secret that often the Ottawa team falls short on players, year after year; for a number of reasons. I think JVincent touched on that. So what is wrong with pulling for more players from a larger pool? Who really cares? I can vouch for the fact that half of Team Toronto has nothing to do with TGN, myself included. In the beginning; its where many of us met.... But the event has evolved into something else. The websites were merely a vehicle in the onset, but the friendships and camaraderie have made lifelong friends of many of us. We did that ourselves by supporting the event, the affiliation with the websites did not do that for us.

Its Toronto VS Ottawa. Not TGN OGF or FS. Its not website vs website. Its Friends vs Friends.

Chasing Rich out of town is not fair. I stand by my opinion on that. Agree or disagree, I could really care less. Quality guy whose integrity and commitment cannot be questioned. Starting a pissing match about Ottawa area golf forums? Give your head a shake. This event does not need controversy. It needs supporters who love and nurture it.

I thank everyone on both sides who participate and work to make the event better. I consider all of you my friends, and am always open to your suggestions and concerns. I also like the free drinks you buy me at the GoGo.

Looking forward to another great year, and yet another successful event.
    Member of 2008/2011 TGN/OGF RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    And on that note , myself and Xtour will be organizing this event again (sorry Geoff)
    And with Dan's blessing , I would like to open it to both forums , open in fact for anyone from Ottawa to play for team Ottawa .
    If this works then hopefully we can go ahead with it .
    This is year 8 for this event , I've been to 7 of them and organized a few of them myself , it should continue for years to come .
    It's tireless work to get this thing going and organized but we'll give it another try .
    Hopefully this works out , I'll be at the golf show Saturday , handing out free hugs to anyone that needs one
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    The team will be in good hands. Thanks to you both for volunteering.

I would like to play again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    And on that note , myself and Xtour will be organizing this event again (sorry Geoff)
    And with Dan's blessing , I would like to open it to both forums , open in fact for anyone from Ottawa to play for team Ottawa .
    If this works then hopefully we can go ahead with it .
    This is year 8 for this event , I've been to 7 of them and organized a few of them myself , it should continue for years to come .
    It's tireless work to get this thing going and organized but we'll give it another try .
    Hopefully this works out , I'll be at the golf show Saturday , handing out free hugs to anyone that needs one
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Ace TWoody is on a distinguished road TWoody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2golow View Post
    And so it begins.

Since I have never been one to shy away from voicing my opinions, I suppose I'll weigh in. Obviously most, if not all of you; know I am the better-looking of the co-captains from team Toronto. This entire situation makes me ill, frankly.

First off, this event has little or nothing to do with OGF, Flagstick or TGN for that matter. All are free websites which some of us frequent, none of which has ever sponsored or provided any logistical help in the running or organizing of the event. This event is about the core group of people who play in it. We are the owners of this event and keepers of its integrity. We are the reason why it lives or dies, we claim ownership by supporting it year after year. I know from our side, both Gerry and I, as well as the past captains before us; have worked tirelessly to make the event enjoyable and fair for all who choose to support it. And I can assure you, we are more than happy to volunteer our time so that the amazing supporters of this event can have the best weekend possible.

Rich has been an amazing addition to the leadership team on the Ottawa side. Not only for his integrity but also for his rugged good looks. Rich has supported the event vigorously over the years, and I consider him both a fierce competitor as well as an amazing friend. If he is not involved, frankly I think it is a huge detriment to Ottawa's team. I speak for Gerry and myself when I say that he will be greatly missed if he does not play. Anyone who thinks he tried to "hijack" the event is being both misguided and petty, in my opinion of course. The role he played is not easily accomplished, for if it was; everyone would line up to do it.

Its no secret that often the Ottawa team falls short on players, year after year; for a number of reasons. I think JVincent touched on that. So what is wrong with pulling for more players from a larger pool? Who really cares? I can vouch for the fact that half of Team Toronto has nothing to do with TGN, myself included. In the beginning; its where many of us met.... But the event has evolved into something else. The websites were merely a vehicle in the onset, but the friendships and camaraderie have made lifelong friends of many of us. We did that ourselves by supporting the event, the affiliation with the websites did not do that for us.

Its Toronto VS Ottawa. Not TGN OGF or FS. Its not website vs website. Its Friends vs Friends.

Chasing Rich out of town is not fair. I stand by my opinion on that. Agree or disagree, I could really care less. Quality guy whose integrity and commitment cannot be questioned. Starting a pissing match about Ottawa area golf forums? Give your head a shake. This event does not need controversy. It needs supporters who love and nurture it.

I thank everyone on both sides who participate and work to make the event better. I consider all of you my friends, and am always open to your suggestions and concerns. I also like the free drinks you buy me at the GoGo.

Looking forward to another great year, and yet another successful event.
    Bravo!
    Member of the TGN Team
    MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Absolutely Wilster.
    Thanks to you and Xtour for stepping up.

I'm going to close this thread. I don't think this should be the season long discussion thread, and I think this aspect of it should end.

Please start a new thread.

Thread Information