+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge buzzard767 is on a distinguished road

Foresight GC2 Advice Requested

I'm considering adding a GC2 to my indoor practice area. My present setup is nothing more than a mat and a net with a painted golf scene on the wall.

driving range.jpg

I used to play just north of scratch but let my swing deteriorate over the years to the point where I was hard pressed to play to a 10. This past December, at the Shark Shootout, I took a free GolfTec swing evaluation and upon review told myself I either quit the game or get to work. Subsequently I took a couple months worth of GolfTec lessons plus ordered custom irons, driver, and added a 3 wood as well. It's paying off and I expect to be playing to the 4-6 level by mid summer assuming I do my part.

What I'd like to do is keep my practice area as is except to add a GC2, computer, and a 70" 4K LCD HDTV on the right hand wall.

1. What do you think of this plan?
    2. What GC2 accessories do you suggest?

Thanks,
    Buzz

Lob Wedge Minnelli is on a distinguished road
    My 2 cents. Skip the TV and PC and see if you can get a BenQ W1080ST ($1000) and connect your current PC. I have a 50 foot HDMI cable connects to my PC. I just use that with a wireless keyboard/mouse combo. Works fine. You have the space so why not grab a pr-20 ($300) from west coast netting and project. It is so much cooler seeing what you are hitting toward. Grab the base GC2 ($7500+) software and maybe a pack of 5 courses. Probably don't need the HMT. For the occasional club head speed reading and swing path get a swingbyte or skypro ($150). I would be concerned about your wood beam on wedges. Best of luck. Again, just my 2 cents.

Larrycb
    You can always put the lcd hdtv behind the net (saw this on The Net Return website). Obviously you need to place it far enough behind not to hit it.

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    Save your money on the 4K TV. Waste of money. 1080p is fine if you go flatscreen. Super diagonals are also not needed.

I'd second the opinion to get an impact screen and projector.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnelli View Post
    My 2 cents. Skip the TV and PC and see if you can get a BenQ W1080ST ($1000) and connect your current PC. I have a 50 foot HDMI cable connects to my PC. I just use that with a wireless keyboard/mouse combo. Works fine. You have the space so why not grab a pr-20 ($300) from west coast netting and project. It is so much cooler seeing what you are hitting toward. Grab the base GC2 ($7500+) software and maybe a pack of 5 courses. Probably don't need the HMT. For the occasional club head speed reading and swing path get a swingbyte or skypro ($150). I would be concerned about your wood beam on wedges. Best of luck. Again, just my 2 cents.
    My goal is a simple setup to be used with my present equipment. If I can see the same images on a side mounted flat panel TV as I would on a front projector screen then I feel the extra expense and hassle isn't worth it as my goal is to get information on the results of my swing. Presently I don't feel the HMT is necessary and it could always be added later. Same with various software packages or is there one in particular that I should definitely have?

Common sense tells me that Protective Impact Shield for the GC2 is a no brainer. Correct?

I'm brand new re: this type of equipment and don't even know what the swingbyte and skypro are but I'll look into them.

Quote Originally Posted by AJA View Post
    Save your money on the 4K TV. Waste of money. 1080p is fine if you go flatscreen. Super diagonals are also not needed. I'd second the opinion to get an impact screen and projector.
    Assuming the GC2 and computer produce and throughput 4K I see value in using a 4K display. There is a lot of questionable information floating around regarding screen resolution and viewing distance.

What is "super diagonal"?

Thanks,
    Buzz

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    See the following articles:

http://www.cnet.com/news/four-4k-tv-...you-must-know/

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-h...-still-stupid/

UHD is completely unnecessay.

No insult intended, but you have a very spartan practice facility set up. Adding a large flatscreen isn't really going to integrate that well. I do believe that the suggestions to go to a projector set-up will give you way more "bang for the buck", and avoid needlessly spending money.

More to the point, if all you want is to be able to see feedback from the GC2, get a large LCD monitor for your computer. Again, no need for a honking big flatscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by AJA View Post
    See the following articles:

http://www.cnet.com/news/four-4k-tv-...you-must-know/

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-h...-still-stupid/

UHD is completely unnecessay.

No insult intended, but you have a very spartan practice facility set up. Adding a large flatscreen isn't really going to integrate that well. I do believe that the suggestions to go to a projector set-up will give you way more "bang for the buck", and avoid needlessly spending money.

More to the point, if all you want is to be able to see feedback from the GC2, get a large LCD monitor for your computer. Again, no need for a honking big flatscreen.
    Thanks for trying to inform me of the relative merits of UHD TV. No offense, but I guess you need to know that I'm a few steps ahead of you being a THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator and have done work far in advance of CNET such as this: http://naplesdisplaycalibration.com/....103130339.pdf

I'm currently gathering information on Sky Trak and it may well be all I need, at a considerable cost saving. Sky Trak > iPad > Apple TV > Display

Forgot to ask again: What is "super diagonal"?

Also, and of 4K interest, my vision is 20/13 and it does make a difference....

Lob Wedge mxwoodman is on a distinguished road
    I have the GC2 and also have a 40" LED TV mounted on the side of my hitting area but I also have HQ2 Impact Screen and projector.
    The TV is good but the Impact Screen and Projector are a much better experience.

Add the screen and projector to you're driving range you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by mxwoodman View Post
    I have the GC2 and also have a 40" LED TV mounted on the side of my hitting area but I also have HQ2 Impact Screen and projector.
    The TV is good but the Impact Screen and Projector are a much better experience.

Add the screen and projector to you're driving range you won't regret it.

Thanks. My thoughts are that my main reason for a launch monitor device is swing improvement and I don't see how a projector screen's graphic representation vs a side mounted display would make a difference in that regard. On the other hand, if in the future I become interested in the entertainment aspect I can always add on.

My wife is rolling her eyes..... If you think golf simulators are expensive you should try building high performance home theaters.

Putter john_mclean is on a distinguished road
    Protecting your gc2 with plastic case is recommended. The minimum software i'd recommend is the ipad app to see your shot flight. You can stream it from there. Fs1 is better still. I use the club fitting most of the time as a range to work on my distance control for each club. fsx has had some questionable reviews so i'm not choosing to upgrade. I'm a high handicap and really like the hmt info available, but doesn't sound like you need it. fsx comes with 1 course in case you want to play a simulated round instead of working on the swing. Grab a bunch of extra winter tees so you don't have to chase after the same one if you're working on driver. I'm a big fan of the true strike mat to reduce impact on my wrist if I swinging for hours at a time on the weekend.

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    I'll second going with a projector and screen vs the side mount tv option. I've had the side mount option previously and at first you may think it's fine, but it is much better having the image in front of you as you normally do when at a range or course.

Quote Originally Posted by john_mclean View Post
    Protecting your gc2 with plastic case is recommended. The minimum software i'd recommend is the ipad app to see your shot flight. You can stream it from there. Fs1 is better still. I use the club fitting most of the time as a range to work on my distance control for each club. fsx has had some questionable reviews so i'm not choosing to upgrade. I'm a high handicap and really like the hmt info available, but doesn't sound like you need it. fsx comes with 1 course in case you want to play a simulated round instead of working on the swing. Grab a bunch of extra winter tees so you don't have to chase after the same one if you're working on driver. I'm a big fan of the true strike mat to reduce impact on my wrist if I swinging for hours at a time on the weekend.
    Thanks for that information. If I get the GC2 that's likely what I'll do too.

Quote Originally Posted by wbond View Post
    I'll second going with a projector and screen vs the side mount tv option. I've had the side mount option previously and at first you may think it's fine, but it is much better having the image in front of you as you normally do when at a range or course.
    Everyone agrees with you.

Lob Wedge Holeecow is on a distinguished road
    Buzzard, how high is your ceiling?
    Can you swing a driver?

Quote Originally Posted by Holeecow View Post
    Buzzard, how high is your ceiling?
    Can you swing a driver?
    The ceiling is 9 1/2 feet so no problem with the driver. I've ordered a Sky Trak as it's probably all I need. Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow.

Buzz

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Good choice with Skytrak. You will be happy with it.

Thread Information