CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    sdgolfer

Home/Portable Simulators

I have been researching golf simulators for the past few months, and after countless hours of reading forums/reviews I thought maybe I should just ask and get an opinion from others. I live in South Dakota, and there aren't any places here to go and try simulators out.

I would like to purchase a complete simulator minus the computer. I am looking to spend between 5-10 thousand on it. Just curious as to what others thought was the best option for me. Space is not an issue for me, but I would like an easier setup, and one that can be taken down without too much hassle.

Thanks in advance.

Lob Wedge Minnelli is on a distinguished road
    Welcome, I have the GC2, about $8k, works fine in my garage setup and anything else I may build. You may want to look at the SkyTrak for $2k. Apparently they will integrate with Trugolf E6 cloud, so you would pay like $25-$50 a month for unlimited courses instead of dropping $3k on the software. Screen, I have a pr-20 from west coast netting but if you have an inside room check out Cory at Par2pro.com, he has the HQ screen everyone loves and a ton of simualtor stuff. Projector, you'll need a short throw. I have a BenQ 1080ST and it is bright and works great. I used a pvc build for my frame 10x10 but you may want to use a kit or canopy connectors with some metal pipes. I also use my pc and just have a long HDMI that reaches into the garage with a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

These are just some quick answers but be prepared to spend hours upon hours here reading and looking at the images. I hope this gives you apush in the right direction.

6 Iron psyflyjohn is on a distinguished road
    I'm going to make a suggestion that may seem strange. I've studied home simulators a lot, reading virturally every post in the forums. First, they are a blast to play. Most of them have similar environmental components. I.e. the screens , projectors, surroundings, tee platform, etc. The simulator hardware/software itself varies thremendously in cost, though. I'm not sure you get the bang for your buck by spending thousands on that aspect. I have a nice set-up, with mat, projector, screen, etc. and use the Optishot hardware. It's the lowest cost simulator out there, but gives you a lot in return. Especailly since they have Optishot 2 with on-line playing. The graphics are great, and the simulator engine is fine. Portability is great also - no fooling with cameras that demand constant adjustment.

For about $400, you have nice simulator hardware/software. You can concentrate your assets on making a nice environmet, using a quality short-throw projector, etc. After you are set-up and playing, you can make a decision to upgrade to more expensive simulators with a minimal loss of $. Or, as I did, be perfectly happy with Optishot.

Another suggestion is to watch videos of various systems in operation. You will be surprised how Optishot compares to them!

John

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    It's good advice John. The problem with the Optishot afte a while is the accuracy. It's just not there. It is fun and a great starter system as you say. Can't go wrong with it.

6 Iron psyflyjohn is on a distinguished road
    Good point about the accruacy. Optishot is a club-based sensor system with limitations regarding angle of attack, spin, etc. Low handicapp golfers may not be helped, except with higher level systems that have the above features. However, high handicapp golfers, duffers, etc.(myself included) have benefited greatly from Optishot.

Another consideration is if you have a circle of friends who may want to play online together, they will need a similar system. An expensive system can be a burden if you expect them to replicate yours so they can join in on the fun.

The main point is, as always, look at your individual needs carfully and match the system to them.

John

Putter sdak is on a distinguished road
    sdgolfer

I am close to you. (Spring Creek). The lack of golf courses and crappy weather means more simulator golf. I have both the Optishot2 and P3Pro set up in dedicated golf room. If you would like to try them let me know. For ease of use I prefer the Optishot, for accuracy the P3Pro. I would have a GC2 if cost was not an issue. That being said I am waiting to see how the Skytrack with e6 goes.

3 Wood Stonebattle is on a distinguished road
    You can get a nice setup with a top end budget of $10K. With some do it yourself perhaps even a GC2.
    I've tried friends Optishots, GC2s and Protees. To me, having both club and ball data can't be beat if one wants to improve on an actual course.

Of the swing sensors, that is Optishot, P3proswing and Protee, I would have to agree with sdak that Optishot is not as accurate as the other two. We take a high speed camera and place it 3 feet or so in front of the ball position. We use a rubber tee with the top of tee set at the height where the center of the ball should be. We of course could not compare exact swings, but the differences between the three is actually not all that different. They all seem to get the swing path about the same, at least for my swing. The main difference seems to be in ball impact on the face. We could not tell much difference between P3proswing and Protee, but Optishot would identify a ball stuck slightly on the heal or toe, I guessed about 1/4" to 3/8", as a center strike.

With the camera system setup right with Protee, it's an great system. Accurate and provides so much game improvement information.

P3proswing has come a long way over the last couple of years. It provides accurate club information, although the Optishot and the Protee sense my swing speed more accurately compared to my Trackman numbers. The Optishot was just a bit low and the Protee was right on my Trackman numbers. For my driver, P3proswing senses my swing speed about 3% to 4% low. This is not big issue since P3proswing provides a lot of club adjustments. One thing they have done in the last year or so is add ball information to their premium courses via a launch angle camera. This feature is great and makes the simulation much more realistic. This feature is a bit finicky, but overall works well. P3proswing has also changed the ball flight physics to more closely match that proven over the last few years by ball sensors such as trackman.

Good luck and play well

Thread Information