+ Reply to Thread
    Driver Golfer100 is on a distinguished road

Best Club Fitting in the Ottawa Area?

Any suggestions for a club fitting. I am a senior male and 22 handicap.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    PM sent

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    Why the PM? Is it bad form to recommend one clubfitter over another on here? I just want to Maximize my golf game by playing with clubs that fit me and my particular golf swing, Lest I get frustrated and lose interest in a game I should be better at... (ahem)

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnazzyD View Post
    Why the PM? Is it bad form to recommend one clubfitter over another on here? I just want to Maximize my golf game by playing with clubs that fit me and my particular golf swing, Lest I get frustrated and lose interest in a game I should be better at... (ahem)
    No, its not bad form but i think its ok to pm a member if i wish to.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Don at Artisan Golf in Kanata....excellent. I highly recommend him
    Last edited by goochy; 03-28-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Never been to either Artisan or Maxx fit http://www.maxxfitgolf.com/ but if I were you I would call both and talk to them.Then you'll probably have your answer.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Never been to either Artisan or Maxx fit http://www.maxxfitgolf.com/ but if I were you I would call both and talk to them.Then you'll probably have your answer.
    You are soooo politically correct !!

I would say it is more about chemistry between 2 individuals. But if I were to vote based on passion,dedication and presence on this forum you would get my vote
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    I would say it is more about chemistry between 2 individuals. But if I were to vote based on passion,dedication and presence on this forum you would get my vote
    I also agree with you on this one Andre.

Ace Felix is on a distinguished road Felix's Avatar
    I agree Les takes care of you and your clubs Attago Les

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Another vote for Artisan Golf here.
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I had Les build my first set of clubs, he was very attentive and explained all my questions and he has been helping me out ever since. André (Chieflongtee) would also be on the list of recommended clubfitters.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    Are the above mentioned fitters able to get you fit into commercial equipment (Titleist, Ping etc) or are they restricted to whatever line they are licensed/authorized to custom build (Maltby, Miura, Wishon etc) If that is the case then I think that is something that needs to factor in to your decision.

It's one thing to say "here are your specs now go and take them to a retailer to order them for you" but I have to think that it makes more sense to physically be fit in to the clubs you intend on playing. Especially when it comes to shaft selection.

No?

Driver Golfer100 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    Are the above mentioned fitters able to get you fit into commercial equipment (Titleist, Ping etc) or are they restricted to whatever line they are licensed/authorized to custom build (Maltby, Miura, Wishon etc) If that is the case then I think that is something that needs to factor in to your decision.

It's one thing to say "here are your specs now go and take them to a retailer to order them for you" but I have to think that it makes more sense to physically be fit in to the clubs you intend on playing. Especially when it comes to shaft selection.

No?
    I want to be fitted for commercially available equipment. I do not want custom built equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post

No?
    Are the above mentioned fitters able to get you fit into commercial equipment (Titleist, Ping etc)

Yes ! Bring your commercial purchase to them and they will accommodate you. It's called a "re fit. ". I hear they do it all the time. Beware, that there are limitations because the original fitting ( if there was one ) might have put you in the wrong head for example, or the stamped loft # on the sole of the driver is about 2* off, or your iron set came with a 4i that you can't hit. Oh, by the way, the majority of your commercial clubs come with taper tip shafts thus severely limiting the shaft fitting process unless you are ok with reaming the hosels ( $$$ ) to accommodate parallel tip shafts for witch there are hundreds of models available.

I think that is something that needs to factor in to your decision.
    Please elaborate on what you mean by 'decision '.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfer100 View Post
    I want to be fitted for commercially available equipment. I do not want custom built equipment.
    With commercial equipment you get the commercial fitting.

Pitching Wedge Big Juicy is on a distinguished road Big Juicy's Avatar
    What is your definition of a commercial fitting? An experienced PGA Professional will fit for lie, length, grip size, grip type and head design won't they?

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Juicy View Post
    What is your definition of a commercial fitting? An experienced PGA Professional will fit for lie, length, grip size, grip type and head design won't they?
    Yeah but you'd get a lot more with Les or Don. Also, many fitters are not PGA professionals (not that the designation holds the highest standards). There are many good pros and many bad ones, just like any profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Juicy View Post
    There are 12 to 14 specifications that need to be considered in a proper fitting.

You have named 5 of the basic ones.

The vast majority of PGA pros are merely versed in clubfitting 101 during their schooling. Most will receive a framed piece of paper from a commercial brand designating them as a "certified fitter " , for that brand ! In my opinion, that does not qualify you as a fitter. Certificates are nothing more than a marketing ploy.

I've always wondered how you become a certified fitter in two days. Same could be said for the course that is offered to become a certified golf instructor simply by writing an exam and shooting a score of 168 ( 2 rounds ) or better. I'm pretty sure you will get some feedback from PGA pros on that one.

"Rome was not built in a day" as the saying goes. You can put experienced clubfitters and PGA teaching pros in the same category.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfer100 View Post
    Any suggestions for a club fitting. I am a senior male and 22 handicap.
    Originally Posted by Golfer100
    I want to be fitted for commercially available equipment. I do not want custom built equipment

Your title should have read: Best OEM club fitting in Ottawa. Plenty of places to go to. But since you brought it up how old are you? Are you athletic? Have you lost any distance over the years? Where do you lose most of your strokes? Strong points ?Weak points? Actual clubs? Flex?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    (Chieflongtee) would also be on the list of recommended clubfitters.
    Thanks JL but I am not a club fitter. I am an enthusiastic hobbyist who tweaks a few clubs occasionally.
    Mahatma Gandhi

9 Iron the babybull is on a distinguished road
    There are many fine fitters in the city and they are not all PGA pros, I recently had the experience of being fit in Dallas at the Nike oven, the gentlemen who fit me had worked for Ping for 20 years and had spent the last 8 years at Nike. Our fitting lasted less than 20 minutes, a flight scope was used and it was done outside. He is not a golf professional, but a professional fitter as am I. Here is with my favorite tip when looking to be fit by someone.
    Beware of the fitter who does not do the following!
    1) Start your fitting without having you hit your own clubs first!
    2)Does not check your glove or hand size.
    3) Always makes a recommendation for equipment that is in stock!
    By in large customers are well versed in equipment when they come to see me, it is my job to make sure I offer them the best head and shaft combination that suits their swing and game, afterwards they pick the brand they like and I make sure that the length, grip size, and shaft combinations fit them. I also recommend a return visit in a few weeks to review and discuss how they are playing with their newly fitted equipment.
    If you are looking for the most top to bottom club fitting in Ontario I recommend the Golf Lab in Toronto, they have the best overall selection of fitting carts of all the major brands, the top fitting tools and a group of first class fitters, the downside this whole experience is it is quite costly!
    But if you feel you need that peace of mind pay for it.
    My last piece of advise is interview your fitter before you decide to go for a fitting, you would not hire a babysitter without a extensive interview first, why trust your golf game and clubs to the first person you talk to!

Sand Wedge strongjag is on a distinguished road
    Bumping an old thread from the past.

I'm looking at finally upgrading my irons this year. I have been it or a driver last year by Kevin Haime, great results. The irons I'm currently using were a Craigslist by that I'm almost positive the shafts are all too stiff (have trouble getting the ball up even on good shots, feel like I really have to lean into it). For reference I'm 31, took lessons over the last two winters and was ending the last season as a high handicapper, usually breaking into the high 90's. Losing most of my strokes in my long iron shots.

I know there are lots of options in town, people have mention Artisan, Maxxgolf, and someone named Les in this thread, but I'm curious what I should be looking at if I have a budget.

I'm looking to keep it under 700$, I don't need to get "brand name clubs". Would I be better off getting some irons online that I know I like, and hit fairly well, and get the adjust for lie, length etc, or could I do a proper fitting with made clubs and keep it under there.

Any feedback would be interested before I started sending emails to everyone .

Thanks guys!

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Artisan is Don Irving, Maxxgolf is Les McBride (aka downhillslider). Another option is Al's Clubhouse (Al Bezanson). They are all knowledgeable and experienced clubfitters in the area, and they all have websites you can check out. As Chieflongtee mentioned, it is a matter of chemistry - so make a few phone calls/emails and go with your gut.

I'm pretty certain that all of them would recommend that you go for a fitting first to get your specs, and then buy clubs based on that. They can all do custom-made sets for you, or adjust "off-the-shelf" OEM sets if you want to go that way.

Thread Information