100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low spin driver

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Low spin driver

So i took my old faithfull G15 to GT to see if i can get a a low spin driver. Turns out the Ping G30 LS (low spin) reg. shaft brought my spin rate down by almost 2000 rev. on good hits and extra 20 yrds again on perfect hits. I was amazed at the numbers compared to my old G15, 12 deg. The best i could do with it was about 3500 and 200 yrds . I will be looking for one of these in the near future.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    I currently have a G15 10.5 deg, and demo'd one of those as well. I'd love to get one but they retail for $449 at GT.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Marc,
    Seems to me that you are not comparing apples with apples. Assuming that the stamped loft on both drivers is correct then the G30 will automatically create less backspin as the loft is either 9 or 10.5 vs your G15 at 12 degrees.

Shouldn't you test 10.5 vs 10.5?

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Marc,
    Seems to me that you are not comparing apples with apples. Assuming that the stamped loft on both drivers is correct then the G30 will automatically create less backspin as the loft is either 9 or 10.5 vs your G15 at 12 degrees.

Shouldn't you test 10.5 vs 10.5?
    Agree Andre. I did not realize that a 9 deg. would create less spin than a 12 deg.Something to try out next time.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Same swing speed with both drivers ?

Or, are those TURBULATORS making a difference ?

Also Marcos, where contact is made on the face is a major source of the amount of spin you are generating along with your club path in to the ball and tee height, ball position, just to name a few.

2000 rpm's !!! What launch angle were you getting with 1500 rpms. ? Something is not right. Like Chief's reference to difference in loft, 2.5 deg less in loft will in no way, decrease your spin by 2K.

Low spin head designs are generally for golfers with very high swingspeeds witch generate a lot of spin. Higher swingspeeds can normally accomadate a lower loft, depending on the angle of attack.

Small increments in the range of 200 to 400 rpms will make a big difference at higher swingspeeds, makes no difference at all for the 90 mph golfer.

You need a certain amount of spin to compliment your swingspeed and angle of attack.

A 90 mph golfer needs over 3000 rpms and a launch angle of over 14* to maximize total distance.

Check out other threads on GT simulators.

From Wishon:
    http://wishongolf.com/forum/viewtopi...t=12685#p95875

There is no question in my mind that too many golfers are too obsessed with the amount of backspin they generate with their driver. WAY TOO OBSESSED. This matter of golfers jumping from driver to driver trying to find the one that generates a specific number of RPMS is ridiculous.

Without question finding a driver that generates the highest ball speed and the right launch angle for the golfer's clubhead speed + angle of attack is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than worrying about the spin number. First off, only TrackMan and FlightScope launch monitors have the ability to read spin within reasonable levels of precision and accuracy. And even Flight Scope has been shown to be less precise in being able to do that as TrackMan. All these other launch monitors do output suspect measurements for spin because their methods of reading spin are not accurate enough.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    Same swing speed with both drivers ?

Or, are those TURBULATORS making a difference ?

Also Marcos, where contact is made on the face is a major source of the amount of spin you are generating along with your club path in to the ball and tee height, ball position, just to name a few.

2000 rpm's !!! What launch angle were you getting with 1500 rpms. ? Something is not right. Like Chief's reference to difference in loft, 2.5 deg less in loft will in no way, decrease your spin by 2K.

Low spin head designs are generally for golfers with very high swingspeeds witch generate a lot of spin. Higher swingspeeds can normally accomadate a lower loft, depending on the angle of attack.

Small increments in the range of 200 to 400 rpms will make a big difference at higher swingspeeds, makes no difference at all for the 90 mph golfer.

You need a certain amount of spin to compliment your swingspeed and angle of attack.

A 90 mph golfer needs over 3000 rpms and a launch angle of over 14* to maximize total distance.

Check out other threads on GT simulators.
    From what i remember Less, i had a best launch angle of 14 deg.and my swing speed is about 90 mph.I was using a lower tee than usual. The salesman did tell me that the 9 deg, G30 was not exactly set at 9 deg, and he estimated it at 10 or so deg. I did hit a few high on the face but most where close to center.
    I figured that this would give me an idea what new technology has to offer. Still would like to get the G30 but not at 449.00!!! Would you recommend that i look at other drivers and deg. to get same results as it would be an excuse to buy more drivers. LOL. Just dont tell my wife

From Wishon:

There is no question in my mind that too many golfers are too obsessed with the amount of backspin they generate with their driver. WAY TOO OBSESSED. This matter of golfers jumping from driver to driver trying to find the one that generates a specific number of RPMS is ridiculous.

Without question finding a driver that generates the highest ball speed and the right launch angle for the golfer's clubhead speed + angle of attack is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than worrying about the spin number. First off, only TrackMan and FlightScope launch monitors have the ability to read spin within reasonable levels of precision and accuracy. And even Flight Scope has been shown to be less precise in being able to do that as TrackMan. All these other launch monitors do output suspect measurements for spin because their methods of reading spin are not accurate enough.
    The marketing flavor of the month ( this season ) is high/low CG location vs. Airodynamics in driver heads. Hmmm, what technology is the real deal ?

Truth is, neither, for the average golfer. They just don't generate enough swingspeed whereas more accomplished golfers with better swing fundamentals and higher than average swingspeeds will notice very slight differences.
    \
    This is where they get you with the marketing. Their results are based on using high swingspeeds that will yield that small difference and then twist the results to make it look and sound like "70% higher than last years model! " 70% of almost nothing is nothing if you consider that all drivers made today are basically maxed out in terms of what the rules of golf allow for in design limitations.

I agree with what your saying Less. Marketing is everything when it comes to promoting your product. I was impressed by comparing my G15 to the G30 and thats what got me thinking.

From Wishon:

Interresting Andre. Merci

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    From what i remember Less, i had a best launch angle of 14 deg.and my swing speed is about 90 mph.I was using a lower tee than usual. The salesman did tell me that the 9 deg, G30 was not exactly set at 9 deg, and he estimated it at 10 or so deg. I did hit a few high on the face but most where close to center.
    I figured that this would give me an idea what new technology has to offer. Still would like to get the G30 but not at 449.00!!! Would you recommend that i look at other drivers and deg. to get same results as it would be an excuse to buy more drivers. LOL. Just dont tell my wife
    What I would recommend to you Marcos would be edited by the mods !

Seriously, first thing you do is get that G15 properly measured so you absolutely know what you are presently using. Loft. length, face angle, swingweight flex profile, total weight. Then go and get some #'s from a Flight Scope ( I happen to know someone how has one ) or Trackman.

Next, go to an ABC golf super store that uses a F S or T M ( good luck with this ) and you will need the exact measured specs ( good luck on this one also ! ) of the driver you are looking at. Be advised that the driver you are demoing will no way in he.... have the exact same specs as all the others on the rack of that particular loft and flex.

I would go on but basically, I would be describing a proper and thorough custom driver fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    What I would recommend to you Marcos would be edited by the mods !

Seriously, first thing you do is get that G15 properly measured so you absolutely know what you are presently using. Loft. length, face angle, swingweight flex profile, total weight. Then go and get some #'s from a Flight Scope ( I happen to know someone how has one ) or Trackman.

Next, go to an ABC golf super store that uses a F S or T M ( good luck with this ) and you will need the exact measured specs ( good luck on this one also ! ) of the driver you are looking at. Be advised that the driver you are demoing will no way in he.... have the exact same specs as all the others on the rack of that particular loft and flex.

I would go on but basically, I would be describing a proper and thorough custom driver fitting.
    Or I could use the wifes driver, seems to go straight for her all the time.LOL. Thanks Less, maybe i should look into a good driver fitting and go from there. Send me a PM to recommend someone.

Shagging Balls dmartin is on a distinguished road
    or maybe improve your chipping

in my sixties... distance died for me a long time ago..

but the love of the game keeps me going !!

Quote Originally Posted by dmartin View Post

I hear you but it would be nice to add an extra few yards just to keep up with the wife.lol

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    Another aspect to consider is what works best for you..on the course. I think fittings will help narrow the range of drivers to try and buy. But I know I swing differently in an indoor environment if that is where things are being measured. For me, an outdoor range is the second best alternative to seeing what performs for an individual, but the best test is the course and the swings you make there.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by brucestats View Post
    Another aspect to consider is what works best for you..on the course. I think fittings will help narrow the range of drivers to try and buy. But I know I swing differently in an indoor environment if that is where things are being measured. For me, an outdoor range is the second best alternative to seeing what performs for an individual, but the best test is the course and the swings you make there.
    Very good point Bruce and bang on. Unfortunately, range balls are limited in their role in a fitting. Just OK for ball flight assessment, accurate swingspeed readings ( with a Flight Scope ), impact location on the face, swing path ( F S ) angle of attack ( F S ).

All other required swing data needs to be done with the use of the preferred ball of the golfer. Realistically, this data is gathered with shots hit in to a net. A trip to the range is essential after data is gathered and a proto type is produced. This is where an experienced fitter is vital. A really good fitter will be able to differentiate the indoor and outdoor swing tendencies and then tweak from what he sees on the range.

This his how a real driver fitting should be performed.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dmartin View Post
    I fully understand how you feel. However, with today's technology, even we elderly pea shooters may be able to find 5 to 10 extra yards of distance (without having to go to a Pinaccle) with a proper fitting.

Just last week I was experimenting with a a few of my drivers using the Flightscope at Gregg and Joe's and discovered that the numbers my current #1 driver was spitting out were 5 mph less and about 2000 rpms more than another I just assembled. The other had a Wishon 9* head, a Diamana, 52 g shaft whose butt frequency fell in the "L" flex range, but yielded a smash factor of 1.48/9 and distances from 240 to 250, which is quite acceptable for a soon to be 70 year old. Yes, results on the course may be different, if we ever get to play, but at least there is hope.

The point is: do some experimenting with a wide variety of shaft/head combinations and see what works best. And if it does not happen, chip and putt your fellow competitors to death.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Or just treat yourself to a Ping G30 LS.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Or just treat yourself to a Ping G30 LS.
    So we can buy it off of you for dirt cheap when it turns out to be another failed experiment
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    I fully understand how you feel. However, with today's technology, even we elderly pea shooters may be able to find 5 to 10 extra yards of distance (without having to go to a Pinaccle) with a proper fitting.

Just last week I was experimenting with a a few of my drivers using the Flightscope at Gregg and Joe's and discovered that the numbers my current #1 driver was spitting out were 5 mph less and about 2000 rpms more than another I just assembled. The other had a Wishon 9* head, a Diamana, 52 g shaft whose butt frequency fell in the "L" flex range, but yielded a smash factor of 1.48/9 and distances from 240 to 250, which is quite acceptable for a soon to be 70 year old. Yes, results on the course may be different, if we ever get to play, but at least there is hope.

The point is: do some experimenting with a wide variety of shaft/head combinations and see what works best. And if it does not happen, chip and putt your fellow competitors to death.
    Are you still using huge grips à la Bubba?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Are you still using huge grips à la Bubba?
    The days of wrapping up to 21 layers of tape under my grips are over. Since I no longer use a single axis swing I have reverted to using ONLY jumbo Tour Velvet 2G grips with no additional tape.

But if I thought that larger grips would add a few more yards I would gladly add the extra layers. Sadly, my swing speed is moving quite rapidly towards my age. The good news is that my ball still usually comes to rest in the sun.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I was saddened by this thread as it shed serious doubt of finding the perfect driver for all club hoes including those still in the closet and put more emphasis on finding a driver with great numbers for you using tracman. I am one of those who had searched for the magic #1 stick but in the end after a tracman session, I found that using the numbers suggested after the session worked much better than search on Ebay for the newest best thing, ok, ok, I may still do that
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    Marcos, did you try getting fit and seeing if your numbers improve with a G25 that is fit for your swing and compare that with your current driver? I am sure you could find a bunch of used ones out there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    Marcos, did you try getting fit and seeing if your numbers improve with a G25 that is fit for your swing and compare that with your current driver? I am sure you could find a bunch of used ones out there as well.
    I have not been fit for my driver yet.I am looking forward to having it done in the very near future. This is the first time i have compared my own driver in a controlled enviroment. I realize its not the best, but its a start.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Interesting thread... Do you people put as much time and thought into your irons and wedges? I hit my driver 10 times per round on average, and decided that I am very happy with my 100mph, 250 yards and won't bother searching for more distance off the tee.

I look at it as an educational opportunity for those who's minds have been polluted with mis information.

Besides, it was a very long winter.

P.S Get A higher lofted driver so you can hit it off the deck bringing your # up from 10 to 13+ times around !

19 TEE WILL BE OPEN TOMORROW !!!!

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Haha... I have no need to hit driver off the deck... I hardly ever hit a fairway wood off the deck!

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    Well all of this talk about club fitting had me eager to get a new driver and so I went to get fit on the weekend. Can't wait to get my new club! I actually ended up breaking my current driver on the weekend and thought why not give it a change. I do look forward to,seeing how the new driver performs this season.

Thread Information