CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

Orlando for retirees

Hi guys, it has been almost 2 months of bliss---believe it or not so I thought I would give a little report on the area.

First of all we are not in Orlando-----you do not want to go to Orlando--especially for the next 6 years. If you think we have problems on the Queensway---multiply that by 4---continuous construction on 34 miles of the i-4. 8 to 12 lanes---134 new bridges and 16 new interchanges !!!!!!

Orlando is huge---2.5 million with 1 million visitors per week----1 planned trip downtown will be enough.

BRING YOUR GPS AND USE EXACT ADDRESSES.

If you want to move big distances use the expressways---4.95 for a transponder and you can load it on-line-----the savings in time and gas are well worth the charges and lowers the stress level considerably.

So, more to the point. We are actually just north of Davenport at the intersection of hwy 27 and 192. Everything you need is here. We have been playing most of our golf between here and Leeseburg (north on 27) all within an hours drive and one course in St Cloud. Royal St Cloud 33.00 weekday--41.00 on weekend.

All of our play has averaged out to 33.00 per round for above middle of the road courses----worth every cent. Everything we played actually had "growing" grass on fairways tees and grens---they are overseeded. The higher end couses 120.00 plus have green rough but do not live up to their reputation as far as $$$ value. Most of them are "resort "courses and get pretty beat up and packed for time.

In fact all courses here are very busy and I had to book a full week in advance at some. If you are looking for a 4 hour round it will be hard to find so make sure you are playing in a foursome. Most courses require a credit card to book and if you don't show they will try and charge you---so be carefull. Most of the highend courses discriminate for being a visitor so we try to avoid them. I have heard lots of complaints regarding GolfNow and Golf18-----overbooking and reservation charges.

This is our first year here and are extremely satisfied and I am a hard person to please. I actually expect to get what I pay for.

We are close to the Disney main gate and the traffic along 192 can be nuts especially for the next two weeks---so you have to time you trips going east. There are lots of good restaurants with happy hours etc and most of the courses have real good dinning rooms. The restaurants are not that expensive and the variety is endless.

There is no end for shopping for the women---clothes are cheap.

For the hardware end (golf) I checked out the 4 large stores----Golftown is the same price with the exhange and much better service.

I thought I would regrip. GolfPride Dual compound 10.95 each plus installation ?????????? but they also have an identical knockoff from I don,t know where for 3.95 I will wait till I get home.

We are an hour and a half from Tampa and 1 hour from Cape Canaveral (mind blowing) when you see a 350 foot Saturn 5 rocket and also the actual Atlantis shuttle. A 50.00 ticket will take you all day to see everything. There are still launches from the site that can be seen for free from Titusville--about 7 miles away--awesome even for this old guy.

Same for Daytona---even if you don't do the 500---a trip to the track is something else.

Lots of wildlife---gators---manatees---armadillos--cranes--storks--eagles--hawks and also the 2 legged kind if you are that brave.

The Arnold Palmer is this weekend----not sure if I am going--we will see. I can see the blimp from our resort.

All in all it's been a great ride---lots more to see next year god willing-----The big 70 is coming in August

We are still here for another 14 days with 6 more rounds scheduled---hope not to run out of balls

I hope this helps if anyone is planning a trip---this is prime (money wise season) right now---everything starts to drop in April and no one plays golf after 10:00 in the summer
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    thats a nice report. thanks for taking the time

the weather was good overall? what type of accommodations did you settle on, how affordable over 2 months?
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

3 Wood eyeping is on a distinguished road eyeping's Avatar
    Great write up thanks

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Thanks for all the info Bryan. Sounds like the perfect spot to spend winter.

Hi Bruce----rained ONE day about 3 weeks ago and a couple of evening and overnight showers. I have been in shorts since Jan 28th. We did have a couple of cool days--about 55 degrees. In Feb the nights did get cool--mid 30s but no frost this year. By 10:00 it is usually up around 50 degrees. I am not sure if this is abnormal but even if it was I would have no trouble with 10 degrees cooler.

We are staying at CLC ENCANTADA RESORT. I found this by accident. CLC World Resorts are worldwide--ownership in Spain and England. They also have a sister resort here---about 15 minutes east on 192. REGAL OAKS. I am not sure what the charges next year will be as they don't come out until August. For our unit this year---1300 sq ft, 2 story, 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath with heated hot tub and wi-fi (slow but does the job) AND weekly maid service 4700.00 all in. The 2 bedrooms are about 400.00 less with not much difference in square footage.

My only complaint was the bathrooms----European size--small vanity---toilet and full size shower. The ladies like a bathtub but they have a hot tub---go figure. I am building a small vanity shelf to bring next year--will solve my problems.

At Regal Oaks they are finishing about 200 newer units with vastly upgraded bathrooms and they are a little cheaper because of the construction that should be just about finished by years end. They have a huge new clubhouse---gym---pool--exercise room etc---worth every cent. Our only comment was that it will be a little bit more congested so we decided to stay here.

Behind us is Sunset Lakes Resort and Bahama Bay Resort---much the same type of resort. You can also google Palisades Resort in Leeseburg VRBO or try Pal Reality in Leeseburg. Most of the housing developments along 27 are gated and there are places for rent. One thing I learned this year--newer homes are stucco while the older homes are vinly siding. All pictures look good but this is a good way to tell age of homes.

Being Scottish I thought 1500 plus tax in HH would be the limit per month but the 2350 here is worth every cent. You get what you pay for.

OH---the final factor for renting-------25% deposit for the first month and the balance when you get here and 3 day cancellation with full refund.

We dealt with a young lady Milady Gloris 1 407 997 3231. She is not on commission and not pushy---just very busy---not the typical tourist trap employee. She works for both resorts. Like I said earlier---I'm tough to please but very gracious for a job well done. We had a couple of small issues but they were rectified very quickly. Most of the workers are from Brazil and Argentina and are a treat to deal with.

The resort is part owner--part time share and part rental. We were not bothered once by the time-share people--what a treat.

Do a Trip Advisor search------hard to find a negative.

Keep in touch.

Gap Wedge rando7777 is on a distinguished road
    We were in Davenport ( Tuscan Hills) for the month of Feb Played Kings Ridge (Very nice $40) Legends (very nice $40) and Sanctuary Ridge (awsome elevations $40) Stoneybrook West ( very nice very quick greens $40) all in all a great location

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Wow.... You guys were both in the Davenport area and never mentioned Southern Dunes? Please tell me you played that course or you missed a real gem with some of the best customer service around.

We went down for a month a few years ago, played 6 different courses but then decided to keep going back to Southern Dunes. Beautiful course and amazing bang for your buck twilight rates. A 12.5 stump metered green was rather interesting too!

Well one week left so I thought I would give my course list before I forgot. Overall everything we played was worth the money spent with 2 exceptions.

Stay away from Kissimmee Oaks---that course makes Bearbrook and Ville Moulins look like St Andrews.

The Legends on Hwy 27 was in very rough shape when we played Feb 8th---maybe it is better now ????????????

The following courses I have no trouble going back to----International at Deer Island---Cranes Roost and Otters Run in Palasades---Arlington Ridge---Sanctuary Ridge---Kings Ridge---Stoneybrook---Royal St Cloud---Kissimmee Bay and Remington.

All the above courses are in the 27.00 to 42.00 range. They are all busy in March so take your patience and arrive early.

How would they stack up against our home courses----Canadian---Equinelle---Stonebridge--Gatineau---value for money and all in decent condition. Sometimes the desk staff have no idea what they are doing ---especially Kings Ridge....but the course makes up for it.

MY REPORTS WERE TITTLED FOR RETIREES-------we all work on a budget.

Yes, I did not mention Southern Dunes---Champions Gate or a few others-------------they are all priced at over 120.00 and some charge an extra premium for visitors which I refuse to pay. I have questioned it and the answer is " do you want to play or not ?"

We are going to play Celebration on the 30th as it is our last game----69.00 at 2:15---thank god for daylight saving time.

Overall the vacation was ideal-----value for $$$$$ and great weather and lots of Ontario plates. The last week has been warm---upper 80s and probably next week as well.

After doing Myrtle and Hilton Head for 12 years I have to give my vote to this area---Leesesburg--Cleremont--Lakeland--anything along the Hwy 27 corridor. The consensus of opinion is that there has been a big increase in snowbirds this year---so if you are thinking don't wait too long.

I see kevin Haimes is open good stuff--lets keep our fingers crossed.

Gap Wedge rando7777 is on a distinguished road
    too pricey for the wife and i

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree, Golf now has some great deals, Royal St Cloud for $25 inc cart, I played Southern Dunes for $65 inc range balls, played Stoneybrook West for $25 inc cart and the best was Mystic Dunes for $49 inc range balls, unlimited play, lunch, cart, GPS. If you look you will find great deals. Unforutnately I have been doing my best to find similar hot deals in Vegas but not having as much luck.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hey Left---congrats on the upcoming

Just a final follow up.

We played (in no particular order) Arlington Ridge---International on Deer Island--Cranes Roost--Otter's Run--Sanctuary Ridge---Kings Ridge--Stoneybrook West---Legends---Royal St Cloud. All of the courses were 40.00 and under to a low of 27.00 We paid 42.50 for Legends and Stoneybrook West---both courses lacked maintenance and were not worth the $$$----25.00 or 30.00 maybe. I think it was the 2.00 per player environmental fee that stuck in my throat----nobody can give me a valid reason for it and it IS NOT a state levy. Sort of like the 20% surcharge if you are not a Florida Resident.

Definitely will play Southern Dunes---Mystic Dunes and Celebration next year.

Now that we are familiar with the area-- things should be a piece of cake.

Heading out tomorrow early----just came back to the unit using 192----looks like everyone has left already

Just about forgot------when filling up down here you must prepay----if you don't use your full prepay amount MAKE SURE YOU ASK FOR A REFUND RECEIPT. If you don't have it you are out of luck for the difference once you leave the station.

As my brother says "it is what it is--deal with it" Damm I must be getting old

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Just about forgot------when filling up down here you must prepay----if you don't use your full prepay amount MAKE SURE YOU ASK FOR A REFUND RECEIPT. If you don't have it you are out of luck for the difference once you leave the station.
    Here's a handy tip for using your Canadian credit card to pay for gas AT THE PUMP when traveling in the US. When it asks for your zip code, input the 3 digits from your postal code followed by two zeros.

Example: K2P 1Z5 ---> Enter '21500' for your zip code.

Now you don't have to prepay anymore.
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

Monday Qualifier Drew is on a distinguished road
    Drove down to Florida this winter and the Postal code and the zero worked 95% of the time. Some stations don't take out of country cards and rejected it.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Then you might want to look at the Gulf coast of Alabama. It's a bit cooler, but the prices are much more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by rando7777 View Post
    too pricey for the wife and i
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Thread Information