+ Reply to Thread
    Putter keezah is on a distinguished road

2000 lumens with 16' x 9' screen?

Hey guys, I'm new around here and just building my first sim setup. I was hoping to get some help with my projector selection. I've decided to go with gc2/hmt + fsx software and I'm pumped for 4k.... I'm facing a big challenge though, the best residential 4k projector is only rated at 2000 lumens and my plan is go with 16' x 9' screen.. Has anyone had any experience with 2000 lumens and 16' x 9' screens? I'm very concerned that I'm going to drop 15-20k on a projector and I'll be forced to play in the dark. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Matt

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    Every projector is different in how they measure lumen output and some are less truthful than others. However, most projectors in this price range are pretty accurate in what they represent. However, I still don't think that the light output would be enough. These projectors are meant for home theatre only and I would wonder how far back you would need to have the projector in order to have an image of this size and thus the subsequent loss in the light that is reflected back (do the calcs in projector central to see).

Also, I am thinking that this would be a waste of money and would recommend a good quality projector for now and see you saving your money when there are better and cheaper options in a couple of years.

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    My screen is 16x10 and my 1080ST is 2000 Lumens. Seems fine to me.

Putter keezah is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mthunt View Post
    My screen is 16x10 and my 1080ST is 2000 Lumens. Seems fine to me.
    Wow that's awesome to hear. Did you pay special care to what type of lighting you have in the room?

Pot lights.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I have the 1080ST as well and note that the picture is livable. I wish it were brighter as you absolutely have to control the lighting. At night with my pot lights on it works good, but in the daytime I need more as while I try hard to control the light in my room the picture still gets washed out. Please remember as well this is a short throw projector and so there is likely not going to be any light between the projector and the screen to wash out the image; however, if you go with one of the 4k projectors, it will sit much further back for the size of image you want and you will likely have lights in between (even pot lights) which will interfere with the projected image and make it look washed out.

Have you seen how far back you will need to place the 4k projector in order to get the size of image you are looking for?
    Last edited by Dax; 03-10-2015 at 01:10 PM. Reason: removed a word that could cause confusion.

8 Iron torreypines is on a distinguished road
    I have Panasonic PT- VZ570U. 4800L, WUXGA, throw 17'2" for my 10x16 screen. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    I have the 1080ST as well and note that the picture is livable. I wish it were brighter as you absolutely have to control the lighting. At night with my pot lights on it works good, but in the daytime I need more as while I try hard to control the light in my room the picture still gets washed out. Please remember as well this is a short throw projector and so there is likely not going to be any light between the projector and the screen to wash out the image; however, if you go with one of the 4k projectors, it will sit much further back for the size of image you want and you will likely have lights in between (even pot lights) which will interfere with the projected image and make it look washed out.

Have you seen how far back you will need to place the 4k projector in order to get the size of image you are looking for?
    I have no windows in my golf room.

8 Iron DFDubb is on a distinguished road
    Did I read that right? I know nothing about 4k pj's, but 15-20 grand?

9 Iron bionicbooger is on a distinguished road bionicbooger's Avatar
    Yea

Be careful buying that 4k. Most likely that is not a short throw. I have only seen 1 short throw 4k projector and it is $50,000. That isn't a typo. $50,000.

You have to place standard throw projectors so far back the pixels get stretched so much that you loose picture quality. You can compare it to taking a small picture, expanding it and printing it up. The picture quality isn't the same. Also, as someone else mentioned that the picture will get washed out with other light sources in the room.

I sell golf sims for a living and when people are shopping for a projector, I tell them to start with throw ratio first and then look at other features.

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    Save your money and get a good 1080 short throw projector. Optoma EH200ST, 1920x1080, 3000 lumens, under $1000.

archv6625
    I have a 1800 lumen projector shooting an image that's only 6" narrower than yours. The thing you have to keep in mind is that max lumen output is on a brand new bulb in super duper bright inaccurate color mode (possibly after doing a little dance to improve the brightness some more). For example, my projector when calibrated for proper color will shoot about 650 lumens, which is woefully underpowered for that size screen. Even on super bright inaccurate color mode, the image is washed out. If you want it to look like an LCD screen, you are going to need a significant increase in lumens. And a couple hundred isn't going to do it. You need a significant fraction - like 1.5x the lumens, 2x the lumens, etc.

With that said, I'm playing on my 1800 lumen projector with ~1000 hours on the bulb and a mild color callibration - so probably in the 1200-1500 lumen range, and its barely ok. My walls are white - for now. The only lights I have on are the projector and the lights needed for the protee sensors and I can comfortably see and read in the room. You'll get a HUGE improvement if you paint your walls a very dark color.

I'm planning to buy a cheapie 3000+ lumen projector at some point in the future, and I do have the flexibility to mount high enough and far enough back that I don't have to worry about short throw.

If it were me (and it happens that I'm in a very similar point to you) I would buy a cheap 1080P projector and wait for the big guys of home theater - Sony, Epson, JVC to release a generation or 2 of true (not pixel shifting) 4K projectors and pick one up when the bulb in your other one dies or they reach less astronomical prices. I bet you'll be able to get a high-midrange 4k projector for under 5k in 2 years.

Thread Information