100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter mcspam123 is on a distinguished road

Using P3 Proswing in conjuction with GC2

After looking through this forum for some time, I think I've decided to go with the ball information accuracy and simple set-up of the GC2 to use for my new home simulator. However, being a 16 handicap golfer I acknowledge that having some decent club head data would also be very helpful as I try to improve my game and try to understand WHY the ball is doing what it's doing.

So like so many people I'm looking for both accurate ball and club head data but I don't want to spend the outrageous money on the HMT accessory to add to the GC2. I've seen just a couple of mentions of combining something like the P3 Proswing sensor system with the GC2. I can't find anything to suggest that the two CAN'T work together, but at the same time I can't find any posts to suggest that anybody actually HAS done it. I don't need or want the information from the P3 incorporated into the sim software (likely ProTee/TGC) along with the GC2 information -- I just want the club head information to be displayed separately on another device in the room for me.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Experience?

Really appreciate any feedback from the group

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Just know that the flash from the GC2 (it takes about 10 or 12 flashes per shot) can cause the sensors in the P3pro pad not to register a shot due to the flash hitting the sensors. If you can use the P3pro with a thick enough turf top or make your own pad holder you may find the GC2 flashes can be blocked a bit and get most shots to register. It is a reasonable way to get club data at a much lower cost however you may find you only use it together for short periods of time as hitting off the pad is not as nice as just hitting off of flat turf with the GC2.

Quote Originally Posted by SFR View Post
    Just know that the flash from the GC2 (it takes about 10 or 12 flashes per shot) can cause the sensors in the P3pro pad not to register a shot due to the flash hitting the sensors. If you can use the P3pro with a thick enough turf top or make your own pad holder you may find the GC2 flashes can be blocked a bit and get most shots to register. It is a reasonable way to get club data at a much lower cost however you may find you only use it together for short periods of time as hitting off the pad is not as nice as just hitting off of flat turf with the GC2.
    Thanx, SFR! Are you currently working with both, or do you know somebody that is? Or are you talking theroretically here? I'm thinking I can't be one of the first and only ones to think of combining the P3Pro with the GC2 so that I can have both measurements affordably. Back to your comment about the turf top on the P3 Pro -- are you saying the Gen 2 turf top that you can get from P3 Pro is not thick enough? With that top the sensor is already 1.75" thick. What abou the DivotAction top from Custom Design golf?

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    I use the P3proswing with a skytrak for this very purpose. My p3pro has the aftermarket jagman joe cover which is very thick and I have no issues registering shots. I don't know the difference in flashes between the Skytrak and the GC2, but it works for me. Also, you can hit off this turf all day long, it's really a huge improvement over the thin grass cover.
    Last edited by wbond; 03-02-2015 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Added comments

Quote Originally Posted by wbond View Post
    I use the P3proswing with a skytrak for this very purpose. My p3pro has the aftermarket jagman joe cover which is very thick and I have no issues registering shots. I don't know the difference in flashes between the Skytrak and the GC2, but it works for me. Also, you can hit off this turf all day long, it's really a huge improvement over the thin grass cover.
    Thanx, wbond!! I would imagine the Skytrak uses a similar technology to the GC2. I will take a look at the Jagman Joe turf insert for the P3. So you just buy the bare rubber P3 unit and then add the JJ turf to it? Do you know the total overall depth of the sensor now with the JJ turf on it?

The rubber unit slides into the JJ turf and if I remember correctly it's about 2.5" thick overall.

Quote Originally Posted by wbond View Post
    The rubber unit slides into the JJ turf and if I remember correctly it's about 2.5" thick overall.
    Thanx so much for the quick reply, wbond. I was gonna buy a 60x48 mat from Par2Pro or Custom Design Golf and have them make me 2 inserts -- one the size of the P3 sensor and one the size of a 10"x30" Realfeel hitting piece. Then I can hit off the P3 when I want to get both club and ball data and off the Realfeel section if I'm just looking for accurate simulation. But the 2.5" depth on the P3 with the JJ turf might make that more difficult. The mats I've seen from them are only up to 1.75" deep -- the depth of the P3 with their turf. Can you tell me what your turf setup is? Do you also putt and if so how did you set that up? Thanx in advance!!!!!!

I would suggest building your own setup. You can use thin plywood sheets with foam insulation sandwiched between and then cover with indoor/outdoor carpeting or you could cover with the cheap thin hitting mat. I bought my p3pro system used and it came with the mat. I cut the mat so i could fit in a piece of real feel mat, optishot and p3pro. The mat is attached to foam insulation. I cut my real feel mat in half so now I have two pieces if it ever wears out. See pic. You can see the p3 in place and the real feel off to the side. Also, the real feel isn't as thick and you can see a piece of foam tile i place underneath to raise it up to the correct level.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mcspam123 View Post
    Thanx, SFR! Are you currently working with both, or do you know somebody that is? Or are you talking theroretically here? I'm thinking I can't be one of the first and only ones to think of combining the P3Pro with the GC2 so that I can have both measurements affordably. Back to your comment about the turf top on the P3 Pro -- are you saying the Gen 2 turf top that you can get from P3 Pro is not thick enough? With that top the sensor is already 1.75" thick. What abou the DivotAction top from Custom Design golf?
    Yes I have both and used both myself when testing the P3pro. I even have both the Divot Action and the J Joe pad. I made my own pad top from a fiberbuilt turf 12" x 12" square. Not sure how thick of a top is enough as I have not bothered to test thinner tops but one thing you do have to watch for on both aftermarket pads with the P3pro is that if you want the club height to show proper in your club data then you need to make sure those two angled rows of sensors are not blocked by the thicker pads. Those are the only ones that gave issues with both pad tops until the opening were trimmed more and still the odd time would not register club height but the rest of the club data still showed ok. Just not every shots would always register.

For club data, this is what I would say to do and say your self a pile of $$. If you use either of those 2 pad tops you need to have the rubber top P3pro or they will not fit.

Quote Originally Posted by SFR View Post
    Yes I have both and used both myself when testing the P3pro. I even have both the Divot Action and the J Joe pad. I made my own pad top from a fiberbuilt turf 12" x 12" square. Not sure how thick of a top is enough as I have not bothered to test thinner tops but one thing you do have to watch for on both aftermarket pads with the P3pro is that if you want the club height to show proper in your club data then you need to make sure those two angled rows of sensors are not blocked by the thicker pads. Those are the only ones that gave issues with both pad tops until the opening were trimmed more and still the odd time would not register club height but the rest of the club data still showed ok. Just not every shots would always register. For club data, this is what I would say to do and say your self a pile of $$. If you use either of those 2 pad tops you need to have the rubber top P3pro or they will not fit.
    Thanx to both wbond and SFR for all the information. It's very nice of both of you to take the time to share your experiences. I have temporarily changed focus as I am just learning there may be a problem using the Protee 2.0/TGC simulation software with the GC2. That is right now a bigger issue than the P3/GC2 combo I've been thinking about. If I can't use the Protee Software with the GC2 I just might have to change to another hardware system altogether -- and my contractors are roughing in as I type! I'm going to take that issue to another more relevant thread. However, SFR, I might come back to this one soon and pick your brain one more time about trimming the sensor openings...

Sand Wedge Rcush88899 is on a distinguished road
    I have the same exact setup even with the extra piece of grass where you have yours. Do you pop the Skytrak on that or build something more stable for it?

I made a case for it to sit in, but now just use either the optishot or the turf to set it on. I do use a level though when setting it up just to get best possible readings.

So I got the sky track set up and ran it with my PIII pro swing tonight and have some problems with it. I must not of had it set up right but it seemed to be a pain because my mat moves regardless and it's hard to keep it perfectly even. I got it in a good spot for a while but then it slowly moves out of place shot after shot. The driver I felt didn't pick up because of the tee height and I got mixed results. Prefer the flight of the ball view on the P3 better. Got any tips. I wanted to look at my swings but apparently I didn't save them so I couldn't. Which kind of was annoying. Got any tips for me

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    The mat can't move. You will not get good results. You need to get a stable setup.

I wish I could post a picture. I have my p3 mat with my p3 inside it on a 12x10 piece of carpet on a cement floor. What's your email and I'll send u the photo. Also is the red dot suppose to be an exact dot or like a line? My direct email is tooth49@aol.com

Why can't you post a picture?

Here's a crumby photo. aaaaaaaaa.jpg

I had a similar setup with my P3 mat sitting on a piece of carpet. The mat just kept moving around. You will probably need to do something to keep it from moving. My setup is in my garage so i was able to mount it to wood and attach it to a wall so i can flip it up and down out of the way.

You might be able to try to use drawer liner or i think they also have a rug liner that's supposed to keep rugs from moving around.

Also, you can change your ball flight views in the session settings. Not sure which view you are using in P3. Also, in case your not being synced to skygolf, you can take snapshots of your ipad screen. I think you hold down the power button and home button, then you can review your shot stats later.

Yah, that's not gonna work. You need to keep the mat from moving otherwise your results will be off!

Worked amazing tonight the only thing that I couldn't get going was the driver I think it's too high when I tee it up. It was only saying I'm sitting about 200 something. But then I brought out my Threewood and was hitting that 250+. Any tips on the driver.

Not 250+ that was a typo. 220 average. Sorry.

Perhaps you were teed up too high, popping it up somewhat. What's your launch angle and ball speed? Try teeing up the driver slightly lower.

I used the tee that came with the p3 the small rubber tee. Just played everything off the mat tonight I'll post a photo in one minute to show u.

image.jpg
    Attached Images

Thread Information