100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Just played GLEN MAR

What a great course. Still a little soggy but you can tell that when its in good condition.. its a great course. HIghly recomended The marshal they had on today was really friend as well. A+++

PS shot a 101, 5 shots of my season best of 96 but still... great course, awesome time. Will play again for sure

3 Wood jet84 is on a distinguished road
    Hey thotho, how much was the green fee? I haven't played there for years and have been thinking of going?
    thanks

"Richard"
    Hey, it was only $37 (tax included). I had such a great time. Let me know if you need a second to go with. I'll play that course anytime with anyone

9 Iron putterking is on a distinguished road
    So nice to hear some good things about GlenMar. I know there are alot of doglegs and number 18 is not everyone's favourite hole, but I still think it's one of the best $ for value courses around. As the club captain, it's good to hear that you would come back again and would recommend it to others.

Thanks.

"Richard"
    18 is a dog left right elevated green? Why don't people like it?

Gap Wedge gronker is on a distinguished road
    People don't like it because of the horseshoe green, but hey, it adds a little fun. Would really make me angry though if I was close to beating my all-time best score and put one on that green and the hole was on the other side of the shoe!
    gronker

"Richard"
    I didn't even notice, my second shot was about 10 feet from the cup, I two putted for par. Had I hit it I would have shot a 100 instead of a 101. I'm going to keep playing that course until I break 100 on it. Took me 6 tries at the canadian to do it

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    18 is a dog left right elevated green? Why don't people like it?
    People do not like the 18th green at GlenMar because many consider it to be unfair and hokey. All the green is lacking is a miniature windmill.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I'll try to stay positive on this. I generally like the layout at Glenmar. It is very close to my house ~10 minutes. It's conditioning is usually OK. Staff are usually friendly. Most of the holes are interesting.

Unfortunately there are 2 holes that I don't like - the zigzag short par 5, 15th which should be redesigned into either a long par 4 or lengthened and reshaped into a decent par 5. The 18th green does not fit with the style/quality of the rest of the course. I do not mind the slope of the 18th nor the bunker. I just think they should remove the legs of the horseshoe and have a small green with a nasty bunker in front. The hole is short enough that a small green would actually work quite nicely.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I'm not a fan of Glen Mar. I used to play in a league there a few years ago and ended up opting for a different night in the league to avoid the place.

In my opinion, there are at least a couple of "wonky" holes. I personally don't like the stretch from #3 to #6.

#3 - Par 5 where I can't hit driver. Well... I can but it must be hit perfectly. If you do hit driver correctly, you might have an 8 iron into the green! Maybe not a terrible hole, but I just don't like it.

#4 - Dogleg par 4 where you need to hit a 7 iron off the tee or hit a big high cut left of the big tree and over the woods. Poorly designed hole in my opinion.

#5 - Maybe not a poorly designed hole, I just never play it well. I think the fairway is too narrow. In order to hit it, you need to hit a 3-iron and then you have a relatively long shot left into the green.

#6 - A poorly designed hole in my view. It's LONG and you need 2 SUPERB shots just to clear the water. If you have to lay up, which is almost always the case, you might have a 5 or 6 iron into the green for your third shot because you want to make SURE you don't go in the water. The water and/or the green on this hole is just in the wrong spot I think. It's right where you would normally want to lay up on a par 5. I guess they could also shorten it by 50 yards which might help.

Just my opinion.
    MJF

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    I am a fan of Glen Mar.

It was on #3 that I had my first ever look at a 12 ft eagle putt. Unfortunately I missed it by 6 inches, which gave me my first look at a 6 inch birdie putt.

I generally play on the risky side of course management, which is beneficial when playing a course like Glen Mar with a number of doglegs because you can cut the corner.

For example, on #4 the first time I played it I went over the trees to cut the corner, and have ever since. Since it is a DL left and my slice goes right, I have actually widened the landing area of my drive improving my chances not landing in the trees.

On the S-curve #15 you can do the same thing and if you cut it enough you can get a second shot that is directly at the green.

Keep in mind that I am fairly long off the tee, which may be why I can cut the corners.

The one thing they lack are fairway bunkers, maybe a nice lateral on #13 around the landing area, just to make sure that you are paying attention.
    Back at it.

Quote Originally Posted by mjf
    I'm not a fan of Glen Mar. I used to play in a league there a few years ago and ended up opting for a different night in the league to avoid the place.

In my opinion, there are at least a couple of "wonky" holes. I personally don't like the stretch from #3 to #6.

#3 - Par 5 where I can't hit driver. Well... I can but it must be hit perfectly. If you do hit driver correctly, you might have an 8 iron into the green! Maybe not a terrible hole, but I just don't like it.

#4 - Dogleg par 4 where you need to hit a 7 iron off the tee or hit a big high cut left of the big tree and over the woods. Poorly designed hole in my opinion.

#5 - Maybe not a poorly designed hole, I just never play it well. I think the fairway is too narrow. In order to hit it, you need to hit a 3-iron and then you have a relatively long shot left into the green.

#6 - A poorly designed hole in my view. It's LONG and you need 2 SUPERB shots just to clear the water. If you have to lay up, which is almost always the case, you might have a 5 or 6 iron into the green for your third shot because you want to make SURE you don't go in the water. The water and/or the green on this hole is just in the wrong spot I think. It's right where you would normally want to lay up on a par 5. I guess they could also shorten it by 50 yards which might help.

Just my opinion.
    MJF
    I have to disagree with your comments on holes 3-6. While I agree that #3 is extremely short for a par 5, I'd like to see someone hit driver and 8 iron. I guess if you can hit it 300 off the tee with a draw, then you might have 8 iron left. I completely agree with #4. It is way too short and too sharp a dogleg. Not a fair hole. Number 5 has a reasonably wide fairway to land on. You just have to hit it straight. I thnk it's a tough par 4 because of the bunker in front and the very narrow green. As for #6 being a poorly designed hole, I must completely disagree. At 540 yards, it should take 2 superb shots to clear the water that's only 80 yards from the green. Most guys that can hit it fairly long off the tee, end up around the 130 yard mark with their second. Not all par 5's should be reachable in two.

IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by putterking
    As for #6 being a poorly designed hole, I must completely disagree. At 540 yards, it should take 2 superb shots to clear the water that's only 80 yards from the green. Most guys that can hit it fairly long off the tee, end up around the 130 yard mark with their second. Not all par 5's should be reachable in two.

IMHO
    You're right, not all par 5's should be reachable in 2. Take #5W at Stonebridge. It's a good hole but at 584 yards from the back tees, it's all but unreachable. However, what the hole does allow you to do is to lay up to a sand wedge distance.

On #6 at Glen Mar, you don't have that option. If you're going to be safe and make sure you don't go in the water, you leave yourself more like 150+ yards into the green. It forces all but the longest of players to have too far in for their 3rd shots and leaves no options in my opinion. It would be fine if the water was off to one side or the other. That way, you have the option to challenge the water and give yourself a better opportunity at birdie. If you hit a GOOD shot and avoid the water then you are rewarded with a shorter shot into the green. The only way to be rewarded on the hole as it is... is to hit a booming drive.

To be honest, I think the best way to play the hole is to purposely hit into the next fairway on the right. Then you can hit your 2nd shot as far as you like without worrying about the water!

MJF
    Last edited by mjf; 05-06-2005 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjf
    You're right, not all par 5's should be reachable in 2. Take #5W at Stonebridge. It's a good hole but at 584 yards from the back tees, it's all but unreachable. However, what the hole does allow you to do is to lay up to a sand wedge distance.

On #6 at Glen Mar, you don't have that option. If you're going to be safe and make sure you don't go in the water, you leave yourself more like 150+ yards into the green. It forces all but the longest of players to have too far in for their 3rd shots and leaves no options in my opinion. It would be fine if the water was off to one side or the other. That way, you have the option to challenge the water and give yourself a better opportunity at birdie. If you hit a GOOD shot and avoid the water then you are rewarded with a shorter shot into the green. The only way to be rewarded on the hole as it is... is to hit a booming drive.

To be honest, I think the best way to play the hole is to purposely hit into the next fairway on the right. Then you can hit your 2nd shot as far as you like without worrying about the water!

MJF
    Don't want to beat a dead horse, but on #6 at GlenMar, you have at least another 30-40 yards past the 150 marker to be sure not to go in the water. The front edge of that water is only 100 yards to the middle of the green. Therefore, you can lay up to about 120 from the hole and that allows you a shorter shot to the green.

Quote Originally Posted by putterking
    Don't want to beat a dead horse, but on #6 at GlenMar, you have at least another 30-40 yards past the 150 marker to be sure not to go in the water. The front edge of that water is only 100 yards to the middle of the green. Therefore, you can lay up to about 120 from the hole and that allows you a shorter shot to the green.
    Maybe you're right about that... it's been a while. As I recall, the problem was that I never knew idea how far away from the water I actually was. So, to be safe, I always ended up laying up TOO far back.

Thread Information