100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    4 Iron akyyyy is on a distinguished road

Buying a used Gc2, questions before pulling trigger

Hey everyone I'm usually just lurking and haven't posted in while... I've been luck enough to find a gc2 used and have few questions before I make the payment.

Are all gc2 the same... Asked from the gc2a that has apple support... He said this unit is from 2011 would there be anything I should be aware of. I know I can pay to get apple support, think it's $500 but I don't need apple support as I'll be buying software.

Next question, am I able of just purchase fsx software directly from foresight... Will they "mind" because I didn't buy the gc2 from them?

Can I give them the serial # before I purchase to make sure everything checks out. See any repairs or any service that has been done to the gc2?

I think that's all I have for now... I found the gc2 with just the power cable for $3500 do you think this a good deal? I've been watching on eBay and have seen then go for a bit more so I think I'm getting a good deal.

Got my garage almost emptied out for my install... Garage is 20x16, what's the biggest screen you guys think I should go with?

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Couple things:

If it is a unit you can see, you could check the flash count and make sure it is working. That is a very good price. A flash is about $160 to $175 and will last for about 30,000 to 40,000 hits or actual flashes would work out to about 450,000 to 550,000. That will be the number showing for flash count if they can display it with a firmware version less than the 3.7.0.0 that is the latest. This latest firmware will not show the count.

Some scams on ebay with about that value where you could buy direct from the guy, but again these were all scams.
    If you could get the serial number you can check with Foresight and see if that is the true owner and then also for them to know to turn over the registration to you once you purchase and have the owner let them know as well.

From there decide on the software you want to run with it. There are a few options. Anyone would sell you the software and it does not matter where you got the GC2. Read up on other posts with the GC2.

As for screen go as big as you can or as big of picture you can get with the projector you plan on using.

Quote Originally Posted by SFR View Post
    Couple things:

If it is a unit you can see, you could check the flash count and make sure it is working. That is a very good price. Some scams on ebay with about that value where you could buy direct from the guy, but again these were all scams.
    If you could get the serial number you can check with Foresight and see if that is the true owner and then also for them to know to turn over the registration to you once you purchase and have the owner let them know as well.

From there decide on the software you want to run with it. There are a few options. Anyone would sell you the software and it does not matter where you got the GC2. Read up on other posts with the GC2.

As for screen go as big as you can or as big of picture you can get with the projector you plan on using.
    The firmware is up to date, so I guess I can't see the flash count. He is a pga professional at a golf course in the west coast.

I will contact Foresight and make sure the name matches his or the organizations, as I already have a serial number. Thanks for that tip. I will also pay by PayPal which does offer buyer protection... I've seen the many eBay auctions buy the same person requesting direct contact for purchase... He doesn't seem to give up.

I wonder if square trade protection could be purchased for the gc2... I'll have to look into that

I'm just researching projectors, but don't know what to look for... Any suggestions?

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    I believe the majority would say to skip the fsx and go with protee software. As for projectors, you need to determine whether or not you want/need a short throw projector. What are your mounting options? Also, can you control all the ambient lighting. You would probably want something at a minimum of 2500 lumens.

I run my setup in a shop that has 10 foot high ceilings. I made a platform to sit about 5-6 inches high (just high enough to sit a bit higher than my projector). I use a short throw and sit it on the floor. The center of my hitting area is in the center of the screen so the projector sits right in front of the main hitting area and I run an extended turf panel just to the front edge of the projector so it protects the top. Any more and the extension would show up in the projected image. I also have a small piece of lexan bent to sit in front of the projector and under the turf extension to protect the front of the projector and another added layer on top. The image shines through the lexan and if angled the right way you don't see any major change in the projected image. If bent not quite right (more of a 90 deg bend) you see a glare from the lexan back at you. About a 45 deg bend or so works well.

The reason I went with a short throw was so that I would never be standing in the projected image when hitting and you will need an overhead net with the GC2 as flop shots show perfect but the ball also hits the overhead net then before it gets to the screen and it is only 7 feet away. Also an easy setup to move.

The issue with the Fsx is that you will not use the 4K image with a projector unless you want to pay $8000 plus for one. So does it play any better than the old Fss. Some features I like about the Fss and some I don't so I wonder if it is any better for those as well.

You should take a look at the golf club graphics just to compare. Figure out what software you want to run and then look a projector to handle it and a min of 2500 but look to more the 3000 lumens to make sure you will be happy with the image.

If you had the space behind the screen I would look to make a backlit screen and then just use a black net infront of the screen to hit into like the golf channel has. You would never need to re do the backlit and netting is cheaper than regular hitting screens. You just need 7 feet behind the screen area with a short throw or even less with an ultra short throw(4 - 5 feet).

Quote Originally Posted by SFR View Post
    I run my setup in a shop that has 10 foot high ceilings. I made a platform to sit about 5-6 inches high (just high enough to sit a bit higher than my projector). I use a short throw and sit it on the floor. The center of my hitting area is in the center of the screen so the projector sits right in front of the main hitting area and I run an extended turf panel just to the front edge of the projector so it protects the top. Any more and the extension would show up in the projected image. I also have a small piece of lexan bent to sit in front of the projector and under the turf extension to protect the front of the projector and another added layer on top. The image shines through the lexan and if angled the right way you don't see any major change in the projected image. If bent not quite right (more of a 90 deg bend) you see a glare from the lexan back at you. About a 45 deg bend or so works well.

The reason I went with a short throw was so that I would never be standing in the projected image when hitting and you will need an overhead net with the GC2 as flop shots show perfect but the ball also hits the overhead net then before it gets to the screen and it is only 7 feet away. Also an easy setup to move.

The issue with the Fsx is that you will not use the 4K image with a projector unless you want to pay $8000 plus for one. So does it play any better than the old Fss. Some features I like about the Fss and some I don't so I wonder if it is any better for those as well.

You should take a look at the golf club graphics just to compare. Figure out what software you want to run and then look a projector to handle it and a min of 2500 but look to more the 3000 lumens to make sure you will be happy with the image.

If you had the space behind the screen I would look to make a backlit screen and then just use a black net infront of the screen to hit into like the golf channel has. You would never need to re do the backlit and netting is cheaper than regular hitting screens. You just need 7 feet behind the screen area with a short throw or even less with an ultra short throw(4 - 5 feet).
    Hey guy, deal fell through. I till want to go with the gc2 but will have to wait a bit to save some extra money. Maybe I'll get my room setup in the mean time...

I'll be converting the garage into a full time sim room. Dimensions are approx 20*16 ft... I I've the idea of projecting the image from behind and using a net in front of the screen like the golf channel does. Will the image project through the screen?

The garage only has Windows on the garage door, which I can easily cover up. I was thinking of construction a wood frame for the screen and make sort of an enclosure. Looking at other ppls setups and getting ideas so nothing is set. First step is cleaning out the garage.

As for the golf course software, how can I look at their graphics? And you're right about fsx without 4k projector... Might as well look @ other options... Does TGC have a driving range?

Thanks for the suggestion...

Too bad on the GC2, that would have been a great price.

To do a back lit screen you would need to use a material similar to what we in the sign making industry use for backlit signs. It is a plastic film material with a diffused white look. You reverse your image in the projector menu and place it behind the screen. I tried a chunk of mine with a projector and was amazed at how good the image looked on the other side and no glare of light but just like you were looking at a TV screen. My material is only 54" wide on a roll but wondered about having a seam and having a max of 108" for height or shorted as needed but the width can be as much as you want. Just have not tried to seam 2 pieces together to see how noticeable the seam would be. I don't think it would be a big deal as long as you used a clear tape with clear adhesive to join and not overlap the back lit material. The cost of the material would be about $3 a running foot for the 54" wide so a 10 foot wide might run $60 for the 2 chunks to seam together. Again this is cost so not sure how much a sign shop there would sell it off the roll un printed. Even at $100 it would not be bad and as long as you never put a ball through the netting in front (like they did on the golf channel) you won't ever wear out the back lit. You might find a backlit canvas like material but it would be a lot of $$. When they put the hole through the one on the golf channel, the next time I was watching you could see a small patch in that spot but not very noticeable. This is why I think a seam would not be a big deal.

As for some video, there is another golf forum that has some with the software. TGC does not have a real driving range but the software is very new and they are still working on updates and adding things. The other software that comes with it is similar to old FSS (Foresights) and that has a range and all the courses.

Putter Jkarpins is on a distinguished road

Projector with impact screen

I put in a GSA 3 camera system this past winter in a dedicated 15x22 garage with 11' ceiling. Garage also has heated floor as I am in Ohio. I mounted my BenQ projector at the very back above the garage doors. I placed foam board in each window of the garage door to block light. I used a 8 1/2'h by 13'w Impact screen with net behind to help absorb the blow of the shot.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkarpins View Post
    I put in a GSA 3 camera system this past winter in a dedicated 15x22 garage with 11' ceiling. Garage also has heated floor as I am in Ohio. I mounted my BenQ projector at the very back above the garage doors. I placed foam board in each window of the garage door to block light. I used a 8 1/2'h by 13'w Impact screen with net behind to help absorb the blow of the shot.
    How does this relate to the original post?

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    Both posts are about golf simulators...LOL

Putter Jkarpins is on a distinguished road
    Akyyy was asking about screen size and where to locate projector in approximately same size garage as mine.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Ok. Missed that. Thanks.

Thread Information