CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oversized Grips

3 Wood boylebj is on a distinguished road boylebj's Avatar

Oversized Grips

I was considering putting an oversized grip on my driver. Was wondering if anyone has done this?
    John Daly and Bubba Watson use oversized grips.
    Is there anywhere in Ottawa that you can test different grip sizes?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Golfworks (on Industrial) and Golftown have many grips mounted on partial shafts (and some in different sizes) so you can get a feel of what it would be like on a club.

Why do you want to go to an oversize/jumbo grip? Main reason for doing this is: large hands/grip pressure, arthritic hands (less squeezing required), delay the release to help fight a hook and lastly personal preference.
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 02-03-2015 at 11:22 AM.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

3 Wood boylebj is on a distinguished road boylebj's Avatar
    I have large hands.
    I found using a SuperStroke grip on my putter really helped and had read many articles how larger grips have improved golfers games (better release, straighter drives, reduced grip tension, improved swing tempo, etc).
    As mentioned, I read a couple of interesting articles regarding Jahn Daly (Kangaroo Leather Grips) and Bubba Watson (Taped 12 times) and why they went to larger grips

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Best way to find out would be to purchase some (during GT's or GW's annual grip sale would be best) and try them out. You never know, it may just work for you.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    See if you can find some like this in a tennis or sports shop:

http://www.amazon.com/Unique-Gauze-Tape/dp/B0001FBZXA

Cheap experiment and you can add many layers
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    See if you can find some like this in a tennis or sports shop:

http://www.amazon.com/Unique-Gauze-Tape/dp/B0001FBZXA

Cheap experiment and you can add many layers
    I'm seeing quite a bit of this stuff lately.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I'm seeing quite a bit of this stuff lately

At least once you get the right size/feel I guess you can measure and match it. Maltby has been suggesting that method for a long time. I have never felt that it made any difference either way. The slicer will still fade and the hooker will still hook. It may provide a better hold on the club once you get it right but not enough imho to correct a swing flaw/tendency.

Now for the swingweight lovers: I guess Bubba does not care much about swingweight if he adds up to 12 wraps of tape unless he adds weight to the head to compensate for the higher balance point which would make it a much heavier clubTo each his own I guess
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

8 Iron zee51 is on a distinguished road

At least once you get the right size/feel I guess you can measure and match it. Maltby has been suggesting that method for a long time. I have never felt that it made any difference either way. The slicer will still fade and the hooker will still hook. It may provide a better hold on the club once you get it right but not enough imho to correct a swing flaw/tendency.

Now for the swingweight lovers: I guess Bubba does not care much about swingweight if he adds up to 12 wraps of tape unless he adds weight to the head to compensate for the higher balance point which would make it a much heavier clubTo each his own I guess
    I would think that if anything the slicer would slice even more with larger grips. I know a couple of people that tried larger grips and they went back to regular. The only ones that stuck with the oversize tended to be the ones that had arthritis like symptoms and the larger grips helped quite a bit.

While Bubba always has used a larger grip, my understanding was that Bubba went to an even larger grip as he tended to hook when he hit a bad shot. According to Ping Bubba now uses 12 and 10 meaning 12 wraps on bottom and 10 on top. Man that is a lot of tape.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road

Did the math last year on this. Ridiculously heavy !!

His specs did say D2. Called PING and sure enough, weight had to be added.
    Also PING told me that Bubba hand picked the heaviest of heads available throughout the set.

He also installs his grips 5* open.

Thread Information