CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Season Start

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

Season Start

Hi guys---here we are in Bluffton SC----60 degrees and sunny---first game today at Eagles Point Heading out tomorrow for Four Corners area of Orlando. We left Sunday am and missed the storm but saw 4 convoys of Hydro trucks heading north to help with the storm.

Anyone in the area let me know for a game or two ??
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

We are now in Orlando---SW---hwy 27 and 192-----lots of traffic and the Mickey Mouse crowd is not here yet.!!!!! We have played twice and the weather is great---75 today. We have checked out several courses and the price range is from 40..00 up to 150.00. The 40.00 courses are basically the same we have at home except they have grandeous clubhouses. Not quite sure of value for money spent ---I'll reserve judgement until after we have played a few of the courses.

Anyway we are swinging golf clubs and not shovels

3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar
    Hi Big Mac,

Is the thread title really fair to all us who are freezing and who want-to-get-'at' the real 'Season Start'... I'm glad for you that you are there, wonderful you can have a 'pre-season start', so at least for me... it's hard to wait.

So in the interim, my last two rounds (even though on a 'stimulator' up here in Ottawa) were at Nicholas North last night, when I shot a 75 with the convenient time-saving setting of 12' gimmes; and the round before at Banff Springs, also a 75. By the way, not being as used to these machines as most of you may be, I find the 12' gimme is the best setting. Once you're inside the 12' it simply adds a stroke and diminishes the frustration of too much putting on the simulator and seems a fair equivalent to what might actually happen on the green (+/- 2 putts per hole).

Anyway Big Mac, cheers, and hope the weather stays warm for you and your comrades down there, I'm certainly jealous up here waiting to play; dare I say, in a little over a month?

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Hey Brian, heading out to Myrtle Feb.24th. Hope you have a good time in Florida and heres hoping we have better weather this year. It was brutal in 2014 but still enjoyed ourselves 100%.
    We are playing; Blackmoor ,World Tour, TPC Myrtle ,Caledonia, Prestwick, Founders Club, Grand Dunes, True Blue and Legends Heathland.

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road
    Marcus have fun in Myrtle. Hopefully the weather warms up a little for you. I have played Prestwick and really enjoyed it plus the clubhouse patio overlooks the finishing hole so nice spot for post round beverage. Also played Heathland, a little plain in my opinion but conditions are good at the Legends usually. Last thing have not played Caledonia,True Blue or Grande Dunes but all 3 always get good reviews on Myrtle Beach forum and usually in top 10 or 15 when ranked.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouboude View Post
    Marcus have fun in Myrtle. Hopefully the weather warms up a little for you. I have played Prestwick and really enjoyed it plus the clubhouse patio overlooks the finishing hole so nice spot for post round beverage. Also played Heathland, a little plain in my opinion but conditions are good at the Legends usually. Last thing have not played Caledonia,True Blue or Grande Dunes but all 3 always get good reviews on Myrtle Beach forum and usually in top 10 or 15 when ranked.
    Thanks Bouboude. I went to hit some balls at Prestwick last year and thats what sold me. Pretty fancy clubhouse. Heathland is a rain check from last year from us. Yes, they honour them up to a year. Was not over impressed but hey, its golf in Myrtle. Caledonia is the most beautiful challenging course that i played and its sister course True Blue will not dissapoint i,m sure. Grand Dunes is also a rain check and looking forward to playing it. They have a private bridge and a guard at the gate when you enter the property. The life of the rich and famous LOL.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    You'll love Grande Dunes Marc, played it the past 2 years. Funny, 2 years ago we played it, we left the condo and was absolutely pouring. Got to the course and it had stopped. 20 min later it was clear.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hey guys---ditto to all the above remarks. It looks like we have hit the jackpot this year---beautiful weather--beautiful unit--WITH MAID SERVICE- -good golf decent courses about 40.00 per round---over seeded fairways--FAST GREENS. Overall everything good.

ADVICE NOTE----the traffic down here going into Orlando is horrendous. After talking to a few experienced folks they all say stay out of Orlando proper---the outlying suburbs have everything you need.

If you think we have problems with the Queensway in Ottawa---think about this. For the next six years they will be replacing 34 miles of the i-4---20 new interchanges and 50 new overpasses. They will do it all at once !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Going from 8 lanes to 12 with 4 being toll road express.

Marc---hope the weather warms up for you--it has been a little cool up north as well as at home. My buddy's water line froze into his house in Stittsville last night----the city inspector said he was one of 34 !!!!! He is here with us.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    You'll love Grande Dunes Marc, played it the past 2 years. Funny, 2 years ago we played it, we left the condo and was absolutely pouring. Got to the course and it had stopped. 20 min later it was clear.
    We did get to play front nine Jeff and it was fantastic. The starter was a funny dude. Looked like an old police officer and he could not emphasize enough the fact that there are poisonous snakes and stay in the fairway. Quote from him" If you must go looking for your ball please be careful and swoosh the ground with a club and stomp your feet as much as possible" He repeated this at least 4 times.LOL. Looking forward to re-playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    We did get to play front nine Jeff and it was fantastic. The starter was a funny dude. Looked like an old police officer and he could not emphasize enough the fact that there are poisonous snakes and stay in the fairway. Quote from him" If you must go looking for your ball please be careful and swoosh the ground with a club and stomp your feet as much as possible" He repeated this at least 4 times.LOL. Looking forward to re-playing it.
    he's right. about 6 years ago one of our guys almost stepped on a rattlesnake at River's edge. you have never seen a guy run so fast. You'll enjoy GD #14.

Clubs are packed, ready to head out tomorow a.m. bright and early. Will bring back warm weather and sunshine when we get back.
    Hang in there .

It really is cool down in Virginia. Hoping for the weather to warm up a bit for tomorow.

looks like it will but not til Sunday. Hope those tee times aren't early morning.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    looks like it will but not til Sunday. Hope those tee times aren't early morning.
    Jeff, we are gonna be out Friday at around 9;00 am and it seems o.k. so far. Today is a rainy day and will get better around noon. Looking at the weather right now around Atlanta and they got around 4 in. of snow last night. Looks like we will be spared.
    Here is a pic, yesterday from our balcony
    Attached Images

Glad you made it Mark---it IS warmer than home AND you don't have to shovel. Very weird weather. We lucked out this year. A longer drive and more expensive but worth every cent. Enjoy--it will take the sharp edges off

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Glad you made it Mark---it IS warmer than home AND you don't have to shovel. Very weird weather. We lucked out this year. A longer drive and more expensive but worth every cent. Enjoy--it will take the sharp edges off
    Hey buddy, yes i think Florida is warmer. We met a few couples that are leaving Saturday for Fort Meyers cause of the weather. Going out at 1pm today and play Wicked Sticks (John Daley design) course that is closing up for good sometime soon in order to build condos!!!
    Sign of the times. Enjoy the sun and warm weather.

Not a good idea to go out and play today. Got 9 holes in and quit as conditions where really bad. Course was unplayable, wet, cold and miserable. On the up side, no snow !!! Hope tomorow is better.

Thread Information