CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter ToeShots is on a distinguished road

Impact Screen Sizing/Install Method

First post here from a simulator rookie. I was told this was the place to learn all about at-home simulators. Just looking for some ideas/recommendations based on my situation:

I have a space in my house that is 9'2" high and 12'4" wide and have decided I'd like to put up a simulator. I've done quite a bit of research on all aspects and the only thing I am unsure of at this point is how I want to install the impact screen.

I'm assuming I want a screen that's 9'H x 12'W as this should fill the space nicely and will fit the 4:3 projector ratio perfectly. What I don't know is how much space I really need on each side, top/bottom, and behind the screen. I was hoping to keep the space behind the screen to an absolute minimum. I'm thinking this can probably be accomplished with some heavy duty blankets/canvas/foam padding. If I can get the space behind the screen to about a foot or less, that would be great but may be wishful thinking.

There are several impact screen manufacturers out there with several different methods to installing the screen (grommets, sewn sleeves, frame+bungees, etc.). I was thinking I'd like to essentially hang the screen from the ceiling and not use a frame. I'm assuming I'll need to put weight at the bottom of the screen if I go this route? Would I also need to attach it to the side walls? Should the screen be long enough to just touch the floor, or a little longer to tuck it under?

The number of different ways this can be done is pretty overwhelming, and considering impact screens are not that cheap, I'd like try to do it right. Are there a couple preferred methods that work in the majority of situations that I can focus on? Thanks in advance!

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    You're cheating a bit here beacuse you're asking someone to summarize what you can find out for yourself by going through the relevant posts.
    In short, slotted angle iron, at least on top and sides is the way to go. As for fixing the bottom or not, depends on the specifics of the installation and perhaps the impact screen supplier.
    Based on my experience and the recommendations of others, I would strongly suggest backing your impact screem up with a tensioned golf net. It will reduce the wear and tear on the impact screen.
    Even with the tensioned net behing the impact screen, 12 inches to the back wall is the bare minimum.
    My concern would be with the height and width of the space. Not a lot of room width-wise and certainly not great height-wise.
    What type of sim are you planning to install?

I did read through the large Impact Screen thread in the Simulator Hardware section, however, the bulk of that info is at least a few years old. Not saying it's not helpful, but rather was interested to see if people have been doing something different more recently. I also wanted to make sure it was clear what the dimensions of the area were as it's probably not the most common setup. I am obviously trying to make the most of the available space.

In the space I'll be using, I really don't need to build any type of major enclosure (unless I pad the ceiling a touch), which should help me get more out of it. At 5'7", even with driver swings, I am well below the ceiling (almost 2 feet), so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm thinking I should be fine width-wise, too since the walls of the building will also serve as the walls of the simulator. Please let me know if I am not thinking of something that would cause an issue with the dimensions. I am really just looking to properly mount the screen as closely as possible to the ceiling/walls, as well as minimize the area behind. I will also need to devise something to seal the top and sides to prevent the balls from getting behind the screen. I am not sure yet how I will accomplish this, but it should be fairly straightforward.

At this point, I would like to start by getting the screen and projector ordered and installed. I am undecided on the screen, but am looking at the BenQ MX819ST projector. I should mention that I also plan on using this setup for TV and such.

For LM, I am almost positive I'm going with the Skytrak unless the upcoming integration with the sim software(s) is a disaster.

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    I researched my sim room by visiting a local commercial simulator. There you can get some ideas for treatment around the perimiter of the impact screen.

As far as problems with the dimensions go, the width is narrow if you want to be hitting from the exact center of the room in order to accomodate lefties. Have a look at ProTee's suggested dimensions: http://csc.protee-united.com/entries...tor-dimensions

My concern about space may stem from the fact that I'm 6'4" tall.

If using the space for "entertainment", all the more reason to fasten the impact screen along the perimiter so that it stretches and stays relatively flat for a good image.

As for a decision on the LM, I would heartily recommend proceeding with your sim room build and leaving the technology for later. That's the best piece of advice that I garnered from this site. Your build-out of the sim room will take enough time and energy and, if like mine, take more time than planned. By that time there may be newer technology available, that's worth waiting for.

In all honesty, I had soured on ProTee and was waiting for the anticipated "affordable launch monitor" instead. That affordable LM turned out to be the Skytrak. I decided to go with ProTee instead after the pathetic Skytrak rollout and am very happy with my choice.

Skytrak has shown zero interest in customer support, and the early adopters are burying their heads in the sand hoping for the next software release to solve their problems.

There apparently is another "affordable LM" coming out soon that may be worth waiting for. There's a hint that it may tie in with ProTee / TGC. I wouldn't touch SkyTrak with a 10 foot pole.

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    I take it you don't like Skytrak.

If you understand what you want/need/can afford, I don't think you would be comparing Skytrak to Protee. Protee is more than double the cost of Skytrak. Skytrak is portable and Protee is more towards a fixed system. Skytrak is a launch monitor (currently) and Protee is more of a simulator. Skytrak is ball tracking only, Protee is club tracking with some ball tracking.

Skytrak launch wasn't good, no doubt there. Zero interest in customer service, I disagree. Issues were identified and they have made releases to correct them in a fairly quick amount of time (obviously quick in terms of simulator time is debatable). Are they done, not by a longshot. But coming from someone who has this unit, it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by AJA View Post
    I researched my sim room by visiting a local commercial simulator. There you can get some ideas for treatment around the perimiter of the impact screen.

As far as problems with the dimensions go, the width is narrow if you want to be hitting from the exact center of the room in order to accomodate lefties. Have a look at ProTee's suggested dimensions: http://csc.protee-united.com/entries...tor-dimensions

My concern about space may stem from the fact that I'm 6'4" tall.

If using the space for "entertainment", all the more reason to fasten the impact screen along the perimiter so that it stretches and stays relatively flat for a good image.

As for a decision on the LM, I would heartily recommend proceeding with your sim room build and leaving the technology for later. That's the best piece of advice that I garnered from this site. Your build-out of the sim room will take enough time and energy and, if like mine, take more time than planned. By that time there may be newer technology available, that's worth waiting for.

In all honesty, I had soured on ProTee and was waiting for the anticipated "affordable launch monitor" instead. That affordable LM turned out to be the Skytrak. I decided to go with ProTee instead after the pathetic Skytrak rollout and am very happy with my choice.

Skytrak has shown zero interest in customer support, and the early adopters are burying their heads in the sand hoping for the next software release to solve their problems.

There apparently is another "affordable LM" coming out soon that may be worth waiting for. There's a hint that it may tie in with ProTee / TGC. I wouldn't touch SkyTrak with a 10 foot pole.

Putter ChicagoJoe is on a distinguished road
    I agree. The SkyTrak app has its shortcomings however I too disagree with your comments about customer service. With their botched product launch aside, the company seems responsive with regular release of bug fixes (last one was Jan 15) and they've also announced plans for SIM integration, which personally speaking is what I'm really looking forward to.

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    Definitely build your sim setup so that multiple options will be available.

Your future sim might need overhead lighting, so plan for that. Portability an issue? Plan for that.

Overall most setups for screens/nets can be adapted for any sim tech. And that will take the most work/$ (besides purchasing the sim).

If a floor system like protee/trugolf is in your possible plans, plan on losing a bit of height due to a raised platform.

Just keep it generic, since you don't know what you're going to get.

I would say, any future, low cost sim will be camera based. So I would think you wouldn't need to plan for radar room requirements.

Putter dhartig is on a distinguished road
    I need to finish my sim. The room is in a vacation property that we rent and it has been so booked I haven't had time to finish the install. I want to keep the distance between the screen and the front wall to a min (<12") and there will be plenty of golfers of all levels, sending balls everywhere. I need to keep damage to a minimum, screen as flat as possible (room is also home theater) and as nice looking possible... all for low cost.

What I have worked out is to hang used industrial floor runners behind all surfaces (sometimes companies are looking to dump these for free). They have a carpet face so the wear on the screen should be minimal (I'm planning for 6" gap between), and are heavy rubber backed to move very little. On the sides and ceiling I will hang good looking curtain on the inside surfaces. I will use angle iron bolted to ceiling sides and front. Overhead will be stretched steel cables from side to side, to allow the heavy industrial carpets to lie on them (might have to add a few drop downs from the ceiling).

Not sure if anyone has tried a setup like this but would love to hear.

If trials show ball is hitting front wall, I will probably glue on about 1.5" of blue Styrofoam.

Feel free to use this idea. I think is should work fine with about 8" of clearance.

9 Iron bionicbooger is on a distinguished road bionicbooger's Avatar
    As far as your impact screen, Im thinking you want to go with a tension screen design. Look at our website golfsimulatorguys.com

That is all we do are tension screens. We also place an HD overlay over the standard impact screen material to give the screen a projector screen materail. We can sell you our custom DIY screen.

As far as the Skytrak, you are crazy. I love the thing. The only drawback currently is the lag. That is annoying. Did you see Coreys vid with the Skytrak using the E6? Very nice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_yWYwy5AfA

Quote Originally Posted by AJA View Post
    This is exactly what I had in mind. I anticipate I'll be gradually doing prep work over the next few months. Once that is complete, I'm hoping there will have been some advancements in sim tech in the meantime.

Thread Information