CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: projectors

Putter mikelcaron is on a distinguished road

projectors

Pleas help!!! I just set up the Optishot and realize I need a projector. I need to keep the price of the projector under $425. I'm Canadian from Montreal but now live in Texas. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Would the BenQ MS524 work?

Lob Wedge Ezek7 is on a distinguished road
    The projector I just bought I got from tigerdirect.cA
    But they also have it on tigerdirect.com
    It is the epson ex3220 it has:
    Svga native resolution (800x600) but can display up to 1080p res.
    3000 lumens
    +30 Vertical and horizontal keystone adjustment
    Hdmi connectivity
    Very bright colors..
    Im am very satisfied with it so far..
    It sells for 399 i believe.
    Check it out on tigerdirect.com!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelcaron View Post
    Pleas help!!! I just set up the Optishot and realize I need a projector. I need to keep the price of the projector under $425. I'm Canadian from Montreal but now live in Texas. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezek7 View Post
    The projector I just bought I got from tigerdirect.cA
    But they also have it on tigerdirect.com
    It is the epson ex3220 it has:
    Svga native resolution (800x600) but can display up to 1080p res.
    3000 lumens
    +30 Vertical and horizontal keystone adjustment
    Hdmi connectivity
    Very bright colors..
    Im am very satisfied with it so far..
    It sells for 399 i believe.
    Check it out on tigerdirect.com!
    Thanks, I really wanted to insure that it would work. Thanks again for your input and advice!
    Happy New Year!!

9 Iron bionicbooger is on a distinguished road bionicbooger's Avatar
    Hi Mike

One of the most important things to consider in regards to projectors for golf simulation is throw ratio. That determines the distance the projector has to be away from the screen. Standard throw projectors have to be placed to far away from the screen resulting in your shadow being cast on the screen. In smaller rooms, sometimes there is not enough depth to get the projector far enough back to get the image big enough to fill the desired screen size.

Get a short throw. I would get a refurbished one if you have to. Most short throws are only 720p, but they are still worth it:
    - No Shadows
    - Get the desired image size
    - Don't lose light because the projector is too far back.
    - Retains picture quality because pixels are not stretched to sizes they are not meant to be stretched to.

Quote Originally Posted by bionicbooger View Post
    Hi Mike

One of the most important things to consider in regards to projectors for golf simulation is throw ratio. That determines the distance the projector has to be away from the screen. Standard throw projectors have to be placed to far away from the screen resulting in your shadow being cast on the screen. In smaller rooms, sometimes there is not enough depth to get the projector far enough back to get the image big enough to fill the desired screen size.

Get a short throw. I would get a refurbished one if you have to. Most short throws are only 720p, but they are still worth it:
    - No Shadows
    - Get the desired image size
    - Don't lose light because the projector is too far back.
    - Retains picture quality because pixels are not stretched to sizes they are not meant to be stretched to.

Thanks Bionic. I was aware of the short throw needs. After reading all of the posts, it appeard the Epson would be a good option and keep from spending to much in case the Optishot didn't work out. I live on a course here in Texas and this was mainly for rainy and cold weather days.

Thanks. Happy New Year??

Mike

Lob Wedge Ezek7 is on a distinguished road
    Happy new year to you Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelcaron View Post
    Thanks Bionic. I was aware of the short throw needs. After reading all of the posts, it appeard the Epson would be a good option and keep from spending to much in case the Optishot didn't work out. I live on a course here in Texas and this was mainly for rainy and cold weather days.

Thanks. Happy New Year??

Mike

4 Iron madspeed is on a distinguished road
    it all depends on your layout. My setup is 10'wide by 16' long. I have an Epson 730 HD positioned about 18' from my screen and am able to all but fill the 10'x10' screen. Picked up my projector off the bay for $240!

Putter Chilidipper is on a distinguished road Chilidipper's Avatar
    When buying a projector which style should I buy? I know to get a short throw but what "type" should I go for? Epson's website has categories for Business, home theater, education and corporate. Does it matter which categorie I choose from? this is my first sim so want to get it right. Thanks

I plan on go 10' wide by 8 or 9 feet tall. have enough room to go up to around 13 feet back

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    What ever projector that you are thinking of, make sure you put it through the projector calculator on projector central website and make sure you have a bright enough image for your room (think how much light you will have in your room and where that light is between the projector and the image as it will have a big impact on image). I would say try to get more than 3 thousand lumens, less will work, but image will suffer with light in the room.

4 Iron madspeed is on a distinguished road
    3000 lumens is the sweet spot in my book

Thanks guys. I,m putting it in my garage with minimal light. Still need to build my cage for my impact screen. Found a BenQ MX620ST for around 500. Is it any good? What projector do you suggest? dont want to go over 500 though.

Sand Wedge pappy64 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilidipper View Post
    Thanks guys. I,m putting it in my garage with minimal light. Still need to build my cage for my impact screen. Found a BenQ MX620ST for around 500. Is it any good? What projector do you suggest? dont want to go over 500 though.

Did you buy this ? How'd it work for you !?

Thanks !!

9 Iron bionicbooger is on a distinguished road bionicbooger's Avatar
    Hi

We at golfsimulatorguys.com were using BenQ. Now we are using Optoma because they are short throws with 1080p that produce a better picture. Try one of these 2 models.

Optoma GT1080
    1080p
    2800 lumens
    .5 throw ratio

or

Optoma EH200ST
    1080p
    3000 lumens
    .49 throw ratio

Sand Wedge pappy64 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicbooger View Post
    Hi

We at golfsimulatorguys.com were using BenQ. Now we are using Optoma because they are short throws with 1080p that produce a better picture. Try one of these 2 models.

Optoma GT1080
    1080p
    2800 lumens
    .5 throw ratio

or

Optoma EH200ST
    1080p
    3000 lumens
    .49 throw ratio

What price are those going for ?

6 Iron psyflyjohn is on a distinguished road
    When considering a projector for your golf simulator, think a little bigger. Meaning, your projector investment could easily be expanded to using for a home theater also. Using a short throw projector allows you to set it on the floor for the simulator. It can easily be moved to the living room for home movie night. Large, pull down screens are incredibly cheap - 1 to 2 hundred dollars. I bought a Benq 1080 short throw for about $1000. It has great features for the simulator - easy side and vertical picture adjustment, high def. and 3D capability. The extra money I spent (a few hundred dollars more) allows me to do a lot with this little guy.

Thread Information