100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GC2 or SkyTrak?

9 Iron bionicbooger is on a distinguished road bionicbooger's Avatar
    Hi Guys

I am doing a quick video review of the Skytrak this weekend. We also have the 1.6. When I do a comprehensive review of the Skytrak we will compare it Trugolf and then you will also see the 1.6. The Skytrak is the first launch monitor we decided to carry on our website to package with our studio. We will also be carrying the GC2 shortly. The point is that we don't have another launch monitor to compare the Skytrak to...just Trugolf. I used it in my garage for the first time last night. Very simple to use. From what I can tell it is spot on. Unfortunately, my swing isn't in good shape. I played 3 times last year and only on the golf sims a couple of times as we were getting our new studio to market. So since my swing is crap and I am taking stack and tilt for a test drive, I'm not the best person to be testing out the accuracy of the unit. But I will anyways. I have some family commitments today and then maybe later tonight or for sure by the end of the weekend I will have a review vid up for you to see.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Looking forward to the videos. Post even if your swing I crappy. Like I hav been saying, the Skytrak I accurate. There are on shortcomings with speed of shot to show, putting and horizontal azumuth accuracy. Post videos in line with the ball do we can see where it hits the screen.

9 Iron bionicbooger is on a distinguished road bionicbooger's Avatar
    Hi Bubba

For starters, Im having trouble getting it to connect to the projector. I used Apple TV and it didn't work. Im not sure how my partner connected Apple TV and the Skytrak at the same time because I cant. Apple Tv connects using WIFI. Skytrak sends out there own WIFI signal that you have to connect to. Im fairly tech savoy and I don't know how to use the IPad and 2 WIFI connections at the same time. But it really doesn't matter because Im going to try the adaptor to see if I can get it connected that way. On top of that, the projector that I have up right now needs to be replaced or repaired because there is something behind the lens that is causing a small shadow in the lower right hand corner of the projected image. Also, I will have figure out how to get the IPad image to fill the screen. So in short, I may or may not have a projected image in the review video. If I do there is a little shadow in the right lower corner.

But to your point. My swing path is out to in. I could see where the ball was hitting the screen. The Skytrak was consistent with that. I was out to in with a closed face and the Skytrak picked up on that. Also, it picked up chips. No putting though. I knew it wouldn't work but I though I would try anyways.

I hit a couple of worm burners and that too was picked up. What I am saying is that is accurate. Now I don't know if it is TM or GC2 accurate but it doesn't have GC2 or TM pricing either. My partner put it up against Trugolf and it was basically not much difference.

I had 2 concerns besides accuracy. The first was the lag that I heard about. It wasn't as bad as I thought to the point it didn't bother me. Of course it wasn't a projected image in front of me so I needed a second to look over to the Ipad after the swing. I think it might bother me more with a projected image. We will see later. The second concern I had was hitting the unit since the laser marker where you place the ball isn't straight out in front of the unit it is back a bit. After using it a bit, I know that I would never hit the unit. But if you tried hard enough, you probably could hit it. When we demo this is in our shop, I will be only a little concerned until we have a cradle. I know there is a guy on this forum already working on a cradle.

Vid will be up soon.

I would like to see your horizontal ball angle of Skytrak compared to Trugolf. I don't think you can directly connect Skytrak to both IPad and Apple TV at same time.

Lob Wedge p3eps is on a distinguished road
    Other than watching some YouTube videos of E6, ProTee and Foresights Performance Software, I've never seen any of them in real life. Unfortunately, the home golf simulator industry seems to be VERY limited in the UK.
    From what I can see, none of them look particularly realistic! I don't suppose the graphics are the major contributing factor to buying golf simulator software though.

For me, I mainly want a system that I can use to improve my game. That's the first priority. I want to be able to stand in my garage and hit balls into a net, and actually see where they go. I want to be able to take the same system to the driving range, or even out in my back garden on nice days and hit balls off real grass This is why I want to go with a launch monitor as opposed to a sensor / mat based system.
    The secondary 'golf simulator' function is almost a bonus. Obviously standing hitting hundreds of balls into a net becomes tedious, so being able to his balls on a virtual course and try and avoid hazards etc will make it more interesting. Putting is not something I'm fussed about, as I'd rather practice putting outside on a green. As long as the system can let me finish the hole and move on!

I've got the projector and the tee mat both ordered - which should be with me at the start of the week. The screen / curtain setup I'm after is all sorted and I can place the order once I get the sample of the material. The only thing that's causing me an issue is 'which launch monitor'!!

I'd completely made my mind up about getting a GC2, until the screen man mentioned the SkyTrak. I'm still 90% sold on the GC2, but now some SkyTrak's have been shipped, I might be able to see some reviews / videos and make a more informed decision.
    I got a discount voucher from the SkyTrak Facebook page that gives me $300 off if I buy before Monday!
    No matter which way I go I'm going to have to get it ordered soon so that it can be with my friend for his journey home.

I guess I'll have to spend a bit more time researching the software versions, and what works with what. I'm still a little unsure about how TGC integrates with ProTee?
    I'll keep my eyes peeled for your video bionicbooger as it may help me make my mind up.

All simulator users wan to improve their golf game. What you want sounds like a basic driving range. The Skytrak will serve you well. It's accurate for your needs. If you are not interested in simulation then the software doesn't really matter. It's too bad you don't have the ability to test all simulator systems and launch monitors. Perhaps if you putt and chip on a system, you would change your mind. The majority of us golfers need more help in thir short game thn the long game. ProTee is the exclusive sim that owns the rights to TGC. You need to google and read more on ProTee and TGC.

I'm not saying that I'm 'not interested' in a simulator - I'm saying that it's a bonus to the system. If I wasn't interested in the simulation then I wouldn't be spending money on a projector, projection screen and high specced PC. I would just hit balls at a cheap net and use the launch monitor to read the data. I look forward to being able to have friends round and playing some courses that we'd never get to play in real life.
    Chipping is important to me - but I thought the GC2 was fine for that?
    Putting is one of the strongest points of my game - and something that I practice regularly. I'm very good at reading the lines and getting my first put to within a couple of feet. The only thing that throws my putting is the speed. I played today and because the greens were soaking wet and aerated, they were super slow! After a couple of holes I got the hang of them though.

I'll do a bit of research into Protee / TGC.

Ok, then get the GC2. Chipping and putting great with GC2. Simulation is great eith GC2. In fact, GC2 can integrate with ProTee and TGC. My point is that the simulation aspect of Skytrak is not there yet. I suspect it will be E6 but this will take one time to happen.

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=bionicbooger;516615]Hi Bubba

For starters, Im having trouble getting it to connect to the projector. I used Apple TV and it didn't work. Im not sure how my partner connected Apple TV and the Skytrak at the same time because I cant. Apple Tv connects using WIFI. Skytrak sends out there own WIFI signal that you have to connect to. Im fairly tech savoy and I don't know how to use the IPad and 2 WIFI connections at the same time. But it really doesn't matter because Im going to try the adaptor to see if I can get it connected that way. On top of that, the projector that I have up right now needs to be replaced or repaired because there is something behind the lens that is causing a small shadow in the lower right hand corner of the projected image. Also, I will have figure out how to get the IPad image to fill the screen. So in short, I may or may not have a projected image in the review video. If I do there is a little shadow in the right lower

You need the HDMI cord for your ipad and plug it into the HDMI of the projector. Apple sells them.

Sand Wedge Scratch is on a distinguished road

Thanks Bubba

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Ok, then get the GC2. Chipping and putting great with GC2. Simulation is great eith GC2. In fact, GC2 can integrate with ProTee and TGC. My point is that the simulation aspect of Skytrak is not there yet. I suspect it will be E6 but this will take one time to happen.
    Thanks Bubba and Zman for all the time you guys give up to help people like myself in understanding the ever changing world and un limited options of the golf simulator. I have been reading nearly every post that you and Zman have posted on both websites and you both are spot on and unbiased. I am about to receive my GC2 and had afew questions about ProTee/ TGC software on the GC2. If you don't mind can I pm you with a question or two? Thanks!

Putter GaryGnu is on a distinguished road

Smile

Hi - FWIW my recommendation would be....to wait. Maybe have your pal bring a p3proswing or optishot. I know, these aren't even close to the GC2 or Skytrak - but as a temporary fix it COULD do the job.

I joined the forum just to post this reply.

I have taken lessons at Golftec every week for nearly 3 years. I have used the GC2 yup, every week for 2 + years. The thing is great. Not perfect mind you, but really, really great - and I would say spot on accurate. (Sure, sometimes it doesn't register a shot, or acts really wonky. sometimes we have to turn it off and reset. but overall, it is amazing - whether with a driver or a wedge. putting doesn't quite have the feel you might like but the rest is great). At golftec, some of the units don't have course software - they all have driving range software. You can use it without a computer, but I think you lose a lot. Using the course software, my instructor can have me tee off, or move the spot to where I might be and ask me how I'd play a shot (whether a bump and run, or a lob, whatever) and there might be a trap or water or branch in the way.
    I don't think you'd be sorry with the GC2. The Skytrak looks VERY promising - but (without having tried it, but with contacting the company a couple of times) it seems like it's almost a beta unit at this point. the initial reviews seem to be very favorable. There's limited software (and for that matter, limited hardware) but it seems likely that will improve - I think to a large extent there's just so much data that needs to be sent to the software where the courses can take it from there.
    I personally am waiting for the price of the GC2 to be squeezed down because of Skytrak, and perhaps any other companies that come out with competing products in the future. Foresight already has their Tee variant of the GC2 (no display) and I wouldn't be shocked (from conjecture) if they come out with a unit in the future that has head tracking built in (or not, but makes sense to me).
    if you hold off 6 months or more, I think you'll see the prices drop, and see Skytrak improve (whether firmware or just software).
    Optishot is more of a toy - I know. I own both it and p3pro - and I want the GC2 and was an inch away from buying the pre-release Skytrak. I received a quote to put an extension on my house for a simulator room, and while I intended to use my garage, I frankly don't want to - cold in the winter, etc.

if I'm dropping $100k on an extension, the price differential of $5k or so between GC2 or Skytrak is almost a rounding error - and you said you could afford the GC2 which is for now clearly the SAFER choice - it is established, etc. - but the Skytrak appears that it will eventually be able to match it for functionality and software. At roughly $2k, it also takes the sting out of bringing it to the range, and it is smaller. but without other software, I can see it getting "old" very fast (useful to document swing changes, but when you just mash around without a plan and without knowing what's going on it gets tiring. At least the P3Pro allows the use of video cameras).

I hope this had some benefit to you - i'll get off my soapbox now (though I really didn't intend to bash anyone - I don't think I did!)

GaryGnu - thanks for your insight, and thanks for taking the time to register to reply.
    You're a few hours too late though - as my friend ordered the GC2 for me earlier today!

I started the ball rolling a few days ago in the Black Friday sales by ordering a projector, and some components for my Sim PC. Since then I've got my turf and ordered the rest of the bits to make the PC... and more importantly - ordered the GC2.

This 'project' is kind of at the now or never stage for me, as my first child is due in 3 months time. If I don't get this kit organised and set up now, I won't get another chance for 20+ years until I have some money to myself again!

I contacted the suppliers of the GC2 2 weeks ago and told them I'd be holding off waiting for SkyTrak as the GC2 would go down in price. They said the GC2's price has barely moved since it's initial release, and it was unlikely to ever move.
    I guess that depends on the success of SkyTrak or any others in the pipeline?
    Perhaps Foresight will stick with marketing at golf pros rather than consumers - in which case the price probably won't change. Pro's will continue to buy it based on its reputation, and they'll still get the money... and the occasional enthusiast with deep pockets will still want 'the best launch monitor' as part of their home setup!

Looking forward to getting it now... although I'm unlikely to get to test it out until the start of 2015!

Putter GaryGnu is on a distinguished road
    many congratulations - and I'd far rather reply to you than do my work! You won't be sorry with the GC2.
    perhaps have your friend order/bring an extra flash module - they're about $150 - if yours burns out (and they're good for many, many hits) you'll be "out of business." I don't recall if it comes with a spare.
    I truly can't imagine the GC2 NOT coming down in price - I've tracked it all over ebay - for about a year I couldn't find any - now I see listings (for used ones) at times two or three times/week, and at other times maybe nothing new for a month - but I would say no matter how great or innovative the GC2 is/was, it CAN'T possibly stay at the same price forever - I think they'll feel pressure from Skytrak and its ilk.
    I highly recommend you get some kind of ball holder - I can send you photos of what they use at Golftec - they have a super heavy duty matt, a heavy duty mesh net (which includes overhead, which I again highly recommend - I've it it a number of times with the lob wedge shots), a ribbon/stripe that clips to the net vertically (so you have a center line to aim at), and they also at times have a target they put on the net. note, it is not a projector net (they use LCDs and video cameras, no projectors) but you don't miss it - in fact, I would say the LCD screens are clearer). They do have the GC2 in a cradle - if it is just you alone you may not need one, but with anticipated servicing issues you may want to get that as well while the going is good (I've seen both the metal and plastic protective cradles). for the balls, they generally have a large semi-circular heavy tray that goes behind you (180 degrees away from the net) - works well. then they have shag tubes (not with a shag bag though, just really long tubes - I can find the name if you'd like) which makes retrieving the balls much easier.
    if you can swing it and get the software (a course or two) along with the range software I think it will really increase your satisfaction. I have not attempted to set up a video station like golftec has, though the p3proswing does allow same - with my lessons, at times I'm really interested in the ball flight on the screen (some lessons my instructor shuts the monitor so I don't get distracted), at other times I almost ignore the screen (and simulator) when I'm seeing what I'm doing on the camera. Still, if you just look at the GC2 numbers without a screen image, I think you will only be getting 20% of the benefit of what the thing can do - when you can actually see the ball flight, how close you land to the center line, or distance from the green, or actually see your carry versus flight, well, then you can really dial in (I'm a high handicapper and a terrible golfer - I'm also somewhat of a novice - and I did shoot 2 hole in ones last year - I swear!) - where the GC2 really helped me was to dial in my distances (my face control is a whole other issue we're working on). But using the computer and looking at the GC2 numbers, you get azimuth, launch angle, and spin (among others) - and these are the things we've been working on lately, which helps you "reverse-engineer" your shaft lean, etc.
    I truly think the Skytrak will be able to do this in the future - but my guess is it may take 6 months or more. within that time, we MAY read about problems, frustrations, quality issues, software bugs -- or we may read that it is even better than the GC2 - whether out of the box or with firmware or software upgrades.
    As you've already picked the GC2, which I think is a great choice, you're all set. I am still inclined to get the GC2 for myself once I have the extension - though if the Skytrak does all that I think it may in the future, I may save the differential and put it towards courses.
    Congrats on your forthcoming setup and child, and let us know which one keeps you up more at night!

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    The GC2 comes with an extra flash

Thread Information